"Learning to Run"-open support group

Options

Replies

• Lavern77
    Lavern77 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Just beginning to run using the C25K training. Looking forward to reading about everyone's success in this group.
  • ladyduddy
    Options
    I have signed up to do a 5k (in a Santa outfit!) at end of November to raise money for charity. I have done one 5k before (last year) but walked some of it as was hilly. I had only taken up learning to run a little time before then and couldnt even run for 1 minute at the outset! I can do 5K in around half an hour on the treadmill but find it harder outside, where I'm currently running 3.5 minute then walking for a minute and half and then repeating for 30 minutes in total.
    My goals - a 10K in May of next year and September (there are two local events near me) and hopefully a half marathon the following year if I can! (I will be 50 so want a goal to work towards!!)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've been getting really discouraged lately, so I'm hoping someone can give me the benefit of their experience with this issue. First some background:

I'm a slow runner. Always have been, always will be. This is the first time in my life that I've actually taken up running as a sport on its own and I'm 45 years old. I started in April. My pace is usually a 12 minute mile (and I can't seem to do much better!). I run in intervals. I was running 3 minutes and walking 1 minute. My heart rate would usually get into the 170-175 range during my run intervals and then drop into 150-155 by the end of each walking interval.

Then last Wednesday I gave blood. Since then, I can't run more than 2 minutes without my heart rate hitting 178-180 and it takes me nearly 2 minutes of walking to get my heart rate under 160. I'm in the midst of training for my first race, a 10K, on October 23rd and I'm starting to feel like maybe it's not going to happen.

Has anyone else given blood while running on a regular basis and has it affected you similarly? Or am I just using wishful thinking and imagining that it's related and might only be a temporary setback?
  • PrincessStubbie
    PrincessStubbie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Finally completed Day One/Week One of C25K...*happy dance*...

The road we use is kind of hilly and so at one point it was time to "run" and of course, it was on the incline and so about 15 seconds into that stretch I had to walk, but I went on from there...To tell you the truth, about half way through I was like "BS! I am sooooo over this, what was I thinking!?!" and without sounding corny or cheesy, I looked ahead at my hubby who was jogging towards me at this point, who is the reason for starting all this, and I was able to suck it up and finish! I was beat last night, but today I feel great!

Day two tomorrow!
  • navjhaj
    Options
    I've been getting really discouraged lately, so I'm hoping someone can give me the benefit of their experience with this issue. First some background:

I'm a slow runner. Always have been, always will be. This is the first time in my life that I've actually taken up running as a sport on its own and I'm 45 years old. I started in April. My pace is usually a 12 minute mile (and I can't seem to do much better!). I run in intervals. I was running 3 minutes and walking 1 minute. My heart rate would usually get into the 170-175 range during my run intervals and then drop into 150-155 by the end of each walking interval.

Then last Wednesday I gave blood. Since then, I can't run more than 2 minutes without my heart rate hitting 178-180 and it takes me nearly 2 minutes of walking to get my heart rate under 160. I'm in the midst of training for my first race, a 10K, on October 23rd and I'm starting to feel like maybe it's not going to happen.

Has anyone else given blood while running on a regular basis and has it affected you similarly? Or am I just using wishful thinking and imagining that it's related and might only be a temporary setback?

I suspect your performance will be bound to drop for a bit (i.e., temporarily) after giving blood. (I have not given blood while running, BTW).

See, for example, http://justyouraveragejoggler.com/should-a-runner-or-joggler-donate-blood/

As to other performance issues, stick with it. It's good you are monitoring your heart rate. You need to work on both endurance and speed. Speed is developed by interval training; endurance is developed by sticking with it, going a little farther each time.

Monitor your situation and maybe take it easy for the next few days--if you feel better, are drinking and eating better, start up again. I think you may have training time to do that 10k. Remember, the best thing is CONSISTENT, steady work, 4-6 days a week.

Maybe try to go for an hour each day, see how much of that time you have to walk, and see how much is devoted to running. Hopefully, the running aspect should get stronger and stronger.
  • rebeccask
    Options
    This morning I ran my first official 5k race! The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in 30.27! My goal was 30 minutes, but I'm still ecstatic about my time. I feel so good! I can't wait to find another 5k race to sign up for.
  • Davey2412
    Options
    I am doing my first real 5k in October (the 8th to be exact) and I have been training for it for a few weeks. I did my first "practice" 5k today by mapping out 3.1 miles around my neighborhood. It took 41 minutes to run/walk it, but I figure it is a better time than when I just walked it which was about an hour. I figure I still have about a week and a half to really train for it and am hoping to get my time down a little. The best part is that I have a friend doing the 5k with me and although she is easily able to run the whole thing, she is going to go at my pace in order to help me through. It is great having someone to help me along!
  • TexasNana41
    TexasNana41 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information on the app! I just downloaded it to give it a try. I'd love to join you all but I twisted my knee and can only walk right now. Running will have to wait a few weeks. Good luck to all of you!
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    This morning I ran my first official 5k race! The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in 30.27! My goal was 30 minutes, but I'm still ecstatic about my time. I feel so good! I can't wait to find another 5k race to sign up for.

Congrats...thats a great accomplishment!!!!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I've been hitting a roadblock this past weekend. I'm supposed to run 50 minutes, but I keep finding ways to avoid doing it. Race day will be exciting and that will push me through it, but mentally I'm being stubborn about the training now.

Any motivating tips to help me overcome this?

Shannon
  • KelieHerrera
    Options
    I did it! I ran my first 5K yesterday and it was amazing. I'm already signing up for my next one. The best part, I beat the goal I'd set for myself by 3 minutes.
  • abby459
    Options
    I did it! I ran my first 5K yesterday and it was amazing. I'm already signing up for my next one. The best part, I beat the goal I'd set for myself by 3 minutes.

Congrats!!!!! Be proud of what you have accomplished!!!!
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hi! I definitely consider myself a beginner runner. I started running in June at about 4 mph for only 15 minutes. Now I am up to 5.0-5.5 mph with long runs between 5-6 miles. I am pretty happy with the distance, but I really want to work on time! I would love to be able to run 3 miles under 30 minutes.
  • Olson87
    Olson87 Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi everyone!! I'm new here, My name is Ashleigh!!

I just started the C25k program, and I'm a beggining runner!!! I'm usually one to start something and quit it when it gets too hard, so I'm here to gather the support I need to stick to my goal. Im looking foward to being able to run a 5k, but honestly can't wait until I can run 20 miles without dying, I've never done that before!!!

Any tips would be helpful, for running in general or from those of you who have done the C25k program!
  • Thamantha
    Thamantha Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hey folks.
    I started the C25K programme yesterday, and boy do my legs hurt today. I have never been athletic, and this is my first attempt at running, so I will be taking it slowly. I am really excited to have finally started (I downloaded the app to my phone about 2 months ago). Hopefully I'll be checking into this group regularly as I progress.
  • Olson87
    Olson87 Posts: 19
    Options
    Hey folks.
    I started the C25K programme yesterday, and boy do my legs hurt today. I have never been athletic, and this is my first attempt at running, so I will be taking it slowly. I am really excited to have finally started (I downloaded the app to my phone about 2 months ago). Hopefully I'll be checking into this group regularly as I progress.

Oh the legs hurt so much!! I'm on week 2. But I've heard such good things about the program. It's nice to have the support here as well!
  • Im training to do a 10k in the future and a 5k cancer run would love more running support x
  • abby459
    Options
    welcome!!!! Feel free to add me as a friend too!!!
  • llbird
    llbird Posts: 51
    Options
    I am 51 years old, on week 6 of a "Learn to Run" 13-week program that I found online. Today's long run was 5 minutes running, 1 minute walking, 7 times. This is quite an increase from previous long of 3 minutes running. Always do a five minute warm-up and cool-down walk, for a total workout of 52 minutes. My legs are throbbing right now and I have tight arches. So, I've been very dilligent about stretching at the end of runs and using a tennis ball to roll under my feet when I'm on the computer (like right now!). I jog at a slow pace, about 13.5 minutes per mile; endurance-wise, things are progressing nicely. However, I am very worried about injuries, so my focus is slow and steady, and always try to run at a pace feeling I could do more. Love running outdoors and have found a flat path along a river that is easy on the legs. I also run at a high school track but one workout at work is on sidewalks/hard surfaces. Program has you running 3x per week, always with a rest day in-between. Thanks for starting the thread!
  • Thamantha
    Thamantha Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Olson87, do they hurt less? Or do they continue to ache?

I did week one day two of the C25K programme today. It felt good to be exerising. I can't wait to be able to run for longer.