Barcode scanner

Options

Answers

• keaner17
    keaner17 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Definitely aggravated to find the bar code option has now been pushed to the subscription version. There's no way I can justify paying $80 for that bar code feature, so sadly I guess I'm out. Definitely appreciate the years of good use I got from this app
  • sl_jung718
    sl_jung718 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Not happy that barcode scanning is now a premium feature, I guess I'll be doing research to try to find something compatiable and free with my garmin. Please bring the convenience of barcode scanning back.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Here in the Community - outside of the Feature Suggestions topic area - you're just talking to other regular MFP users with no more power than yourself to do anything about this. In that context, your post is pointless.

Also, not every user cares: I don't. I never use it. It wouldn't help me even if it reliably pulled up accurate food database entries with the type of serving sizes I want (grams), which IME it doesn't.

I hope you find an app you like better, sincerely.

• perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 209 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I have never used the free version of MFP and always payed for the subscription. It's a good deal I think especially if you pay the fee once a year. I was using NOOM before that but that app has a time limit as it's more a lifetyle change program based on daily reading that eventually starts to reapet itself. There may of course be other good free apps out there that offer the barcode feature as noted by AnnPT77.
  • brenkworth
    brenkworth Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I think it’s really crappy to take away the barcode scanner to force us to use the paid version.
  • ACDodd
    ACDodd Posts: 129 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I agree. The bar code scanners is what set MFP apart from all the others. It's almost enough to make me look for another app/web site. I am not paying for premium just for one function.
  • momunderstress1
    momunderstress1 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I only use the paid version when my health insurance covered it. I use the scanning feature all the time and I'm not happy that this is now a premium feature.
  • tmacumber2
    tmacumber2 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Hasnt the barcode scanner for the food log always been a free feature, all of a sudden i cannot use it anymore?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    It became premium recently.
  • izzyandlucy
    izzyandlucy Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Why is it no longer free? It has been for years. Very disappointing.
  • Kojiiko
    Kojiiko Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yep I was surprised i thought it was a bug, they decided to become more greedy, there were no warning of this change, The new update changed that! Im also feel let down with this app, so to add new foods that arent in the database we cant add unless we have to pay for, feel like a rip off,!!
  • Kojiiko
    Kojiiko Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    keaner17 wrote: »
    Definitely aggravated to find the bar code option has now been pushed to the subscription version. There's no way I can justify paying $80 for that bar code feature, so sadly I guess I'm out. Definitely appreciate the years of good use I got from this app

Yes its crazy and i think its the wrong way trying to get ppl to upgrade to use that. Im also not paying for that,(thats a yearly pay fee for gym membership) I would prefer to find another app food logging app
  • TulsaDavid
    TulsaDavid Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Seems MFP has forgotten or dissed the number of people who helped tune the barcode scanner and helped make the food database one of the best nutrition wikis on the internet.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Kojiiko wrote: »
    Yep I was surprised i thought it was a bug, they decided to become more greedy, there were no warning of this change, The new update changed that! Im also feel let down with this app, so to add new foods that arent in the database we cant add unless we have to pay for, feel like a rip off,!!

Yeah, there were announcements. Weeks in advance. Plus there were threads in the Community complaining about the decision in advance. Somehow, you missed all of them.

AFAIK, you can still add foods in free MFP, just not with a bar code, though I haven't needed to add any recently.
  • slimsue28
    slimsue28 Posts: 7 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I've been a member for 9 years and have enjoyed using the app and the scan feature is one of my favorite things to use. I guess I will need to find another app to track my food. Sorry but just one more expense I cannot afford 😞

• mrsedwards1975
    mrsedwards1975 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I have been using this app for at least 12 years and have had great success with it. However, I realized that they took away the ability to use the barcode scanner and included it in the paid subscription. That's a foul. So many loyal users have been able to use it for free all these years. Why would they do that? I don't think I'll be using this app any longer. It seems to me that they don't really care about us.
  • robinproffer7363
    robinproffer7363 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I am unable to scan labels without a pop-up forcing me to sign up for a monthly or yearly plan. If this problem is not resolved I will delete this app and use another tracking app
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    It is not a problem or a glitch - they moved the barcode scan to the pay only memberships at the beginning of October.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I am unable to scan labels without a pop-up forcing me to sign up for a monthly or yearly plan. If this problem is not resolved I will delete this app and use another tracking app

barcode scanner is available on premium only.
  • theplanteater
    theplanteater Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This was an interesting choice. There is definitely limited utility to this app now— barcode scanning was what made MFP useful for me, now it’ll be simpler just to do the math myself in a Notes app on my phone. I’m also shocked at how much Premium would cost just so I could use the barcode function. Oh well, it is what it is!
This discussion has been closed.