If 7000 calories = 1kg

Options
2»

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    common mistake - did you forget to carry the 2?
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    ok, forgive me for this because i'm american and don't understand these "grams" and stuff, but:
    1. your body burns calories regardless- you'll only gain if you go above your basal metabolic rate + the extra calories you burn as a result from not sitting in bed all day
    2. your body doesn't work by pounds in-pounds out; it works on how many calories those pounds have. a kg of oil has 800 calories, you say, but a kg of celery has only 400. your body is breaking down that food for the calories- the actual bulk of it will leave your body as waste.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

If I drink 1kg of vegetable oil (and keep it in)...

But why would you do this?

Because it is delicious and thirst quenching.

No, that would be Sprite...

i know that for me, personally, i need to drink at least twice that much to feel like i've really worked towards my daily goals. also, there are so many free calories b/c you no longer actually digest anything. it's the best diet i've ever been on.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    What your doing it wrong it never works on the metric system!!!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    smiley-think004.gif
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Ok, side-stepping the ridiculous number of hypothetical aspects of this question, the answer is, fat in human body =/= fat from a food.

A fat cell in your body is actually only about 75-80% lard (a mix of saturated, trans, and unsaturated, about even with each other) and the rest is water/cellular materials. So assuming ALL 1kg of that oil went into fat cells. its only 75% of what you actually gain.
    1/.75 = 1.33, or what you would expect to gain in weight.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I think the answer we are all looking for here.... is 42.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    If you drink a kg of vegetable oil, you're not keeping it in.
  • slicksps
    Options
    PMSL at some of the replies. I think the best one is early on and explained more mathematically later:

The extra 300g from drinking the oil comes from human fat having water [] in it. That actually explains it perfectly.

(Thanks Larius and aj_rock, it makes complete sense)

Rimdeker: So 1kg of oil being pretty close to 9000 kcals is actually right! - Interesting thought, it is approximate after all, links on well to "'Calorie' is a measure of the energy content of food. 'Kg' is a unit of mass. Therefore they are not interchangeable." from yodabeaumont. Yes one certainly isn't a direct measure of another like gram and ounce. Perhaps in each person 1 calorie results in different amounts of grams.

"What your doing it wrong it never works on the metric system!!!" - Sorry I forgot my US pals. 1kg = 1000g which is approximately 4 hands and a gallon ;)

misskortney says "If you drink a kg of vegetable oil, you're not keeping it in." - Isn't there some kind of 'natural' colon cleanse like this? I met a health person in the course of my design travels and she was trying to convince me to drink a pint of some food oil with garlic or something for a complete colon reset. She warned me to stay near a toilet for 12 hours afterwards... no I didn't follow her nutritional advice, she reminds me of your stereotypical fruitarian in stature, I want to lose weight but I also want to be able to support the weight of my own head!...
  • infamousmk
    Options
    Oh, I didn't say which direction it would come out -- I'm just saying it won't be inside you for very long!
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Oh, I didn't say which direction it would come out -- I'm just saying it won't be inside you for very long!

Do you eat those calories back?

(please no one answer, just a joke)
  • infamousmk
    Options

Do you eat those calories back?

(please no one answer, just a joke)

I will answer! I'd probably eat half those calories. I like calories!
  • mattmorgan44
    Options
    The extra 300g from drinking the oil comes from human fat having water [] in it. That actually explains it perfectly.

(Thanks Larius and aj_rock, it makes complete sense)

What does water in the oil have to do with it? Am I mid understanding this?

I think the easiest way to understand this is Calories = energy, NOT weight.

It takes 7,700 calories (energy) to make 1kg of fat. 1kg of oil can have enough ENERGY (9000 calories) for the body to produce 1.3kg of fat.

If I am wrong please tell me, I am interested in this :)
  • skellyness
    skellyness Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    O.O *shudders* math..
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

If I drink 1kg of vegetable oil (and keep it in)...

But why would you do this?

Because it is delicious and thirst quenching.

Can I count that as water?
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I need to burn 7700 kcal to loose 1kg? I'm aiming do this in 10 days.
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Forumnecro.gif