Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sugar Addiction Debate

1235»

Replies

• BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    edited November 2022

Can you be more specific?
    I was trying to heed the comments I got before by not being specific, but it you want more information on this rather questionable indidividual, you'll find more here than I would be able to pen together in a day:
    https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/functional-medicine-in-practice/

Can you offer a specific example so that we all could understand better your statement about Dr. Hyman, thanks.
    He claims that diseases do not exist. For example in this blog post:
    Source: https://drhyman.com/blog/2014/04/27/foreword-disease-delusion/

Sometimes headlines get people's attention, it got yours. But alas, that isn't what that piece is about.

Chronic diseases affect one in two Americans and account for 80 percent of our health care costs. Heart disease, diabetes, cancer, autoimmune diseases, digestive disorders, dementia, allergies, asthma, arthritis, depression, ADD, autism, Parkinson’s disease, hormonal problems and more — they cause endless suffering and drain our financial resources.

Clearly, what we are doing is not working. We need a different paradigm, a different model of diagnosing and treating illness that can match and beat this new epidemic of chronic disease.
    I would have called it bait-switching, but it really isn't. While his title is nonsense, the rest of his post is not any better. In short, look at what Hyman says, and ask yourself where his evidence is.

Nobody is claiming that medicine has all the answers. If it did, there would no longer be any need for medical research. As I write all the time, medicine is a new science. When I went to med school there was still a lot of "magic" in medicine, even the names "evidence-based medicine" and "science-based medicine" did not exist yet. No sane person will dispute that.

That said, just because modern medicine does not have all the answers yet, does not mean that quackery and wishful thinking as promoted by Hyman do, and that is the point. At the very least, we have numerous therapies that either improve quality of life or prolong it, or both. What we are doing IS working. It is just not working perfectly and at least some part of the problem is caused by reality denial.

Never ever forget, that science is the study of reality, not the final solution of the problems caused by reality. That study may lead us to find solutions, and we know it occasionally does, even when humans are slow to accept it. Obesity is arguably one of the most clear-cut examples. We know how to prevent it, we know how to solve it. Yet, a large part of the population flat out refuses it. That does not mean that what we are doing isn't working, we don't need "new paradigms", it simply means that people have to learn to accept reality instead of fantasy. That is another discussion, which happens to be one of my favourite subjects, but that is not the subject here.

Again, please give a specific example. For you to use this language I suspect there must be numerous examples.

There are more than you can shake a stick at.
    Here is one example:
    https://drhyman.com/short-guide-10-day-detox-diet/

And while I was there, the website pushed this:
    ggj4jp3mbg2a.png
    That is as nonsensical as saying that gasoline repairs cars.
    We need food. It keeps us alive, at least for a while. The only repairs food is ever going to accomplish is the replenishment of nutritional deficiencies caused by lack of consumption. Vitamin C is not a medicine for scurvy. Scurvy is caused by a lack of vitamin C. As long as people do not understand the difference, we will have people becoming sick and dying from diseases that they should never have in the first place.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,873 Member
    edited November 2022

Can you be more specific?
    I was trying to heed the comments I got before by not being specific, but it you want more information on this rather questionable indidividual, you'll find more here than I would be able to pen together in a day:
    https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/functional-medicine-in-practice/

Can you offer a specific example so that we all could understand better your statement about Dr. Hyman, thanks.
    He claims that diseases do not exist. For example in this blog post:
    Source: https://drhyman.com/blog/2014/04/27/foreword-disease-delusion/

Sometimes headlines get people's attention, it got yours. But alas, that isn't what that piece is about.

Chronic diseases affect one in two Americans and account for 80 percent of our health care costs. Heart disease, diabetes, cancer, autoimmune diseases, digestive disorders, dementia, allergies, asthma, arthritis, depression, ADD, autism, Parkinson’s disease, hormonal problems and more — they cause endless suffering and drain our financial resources.

Clearly, what we are doing is not working. We need a different paradigm, a different model of diagnosing and treating illness that can match and beat this new epidemic of chronic disease.
    I would have called it bait-switching, but it really isn't. While his title is nonsense, the rest of his post is not any better. In short, look at what Hyman says, and ask yourself where his evidence is.

Nobody is claiming that medicine has all the answers. If it did, there would no longer be any need for medical research. As I write all the time, medicine is a new science. When I went to med school there was still a lot of "magic" in medicine, even the names "evidence-based medicine" and "science-based medicine" did not exist yet. No sane person will dispute that.

That said, just because modern medicine does not have all the answers yet, does not mean that quackery and wishful thinking as promoted by Hyman do, and that is the point. At the very least, we have numerous therapies that either improve quality of life or prolong it, or both. What we are doing IS working. It is just not working perfectly and at least some part of the problem is caused by reality denial.

Never ever forget, that science is the study of reality, not the final solution of the problems caused by reality. That study may lead us to find solutions, and we know it occasionally does, even when humans are slow to accept it. Obesity is arguably one of the most clear-cut examples. We know how to prevent it, we know how to solve it. Yet, a large part of the population flat out refuses it. That does not mean that what we are doing isn't working, we don't need "new paradigms", it simply means that people have to learn to accept reality instead of fantasy. That is another discussion, which happens to be one of my favourite subjects, but that is not the subject here.

Again, please give a specific example. For you to use this language I suspect there must be numerous examples.

There are more than you can shake a stick at.
    Here is one example:
    https://drhyman.com/short-guide-10-day-detox-diet/

And while I was there, the website pushed this:
    ggj4jp3mbg2a.png
    That is as nonsensical as saying that gasoline repairs cars.
    We need food. It keeps us alive, at least for a while. The only repairs food is ever going to accomplish is the replenishment of nutritional deficiencies caused by lack of consumption. Vitamin C is not a medicine for scurvy. Scurvy is caused by a lack of vitamin C. As long as people do not understand the difference, we will have people becoming sick and dying from diseases that they should never have in the first place.

Well, it certainly appears nonsense is open to interpretation.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    I haven't read through all 5 pages of comments, so forgive me if I'm repeating something anyone else has already posted. But there's an absolutely fantastic article on the idea of sugar addiction by Dr. James Kreiger; unfortunately it's behind a paywall so I can't link the full text here. However, I'm gonna copy/paste a few of the interesting studies cited in the article:

Sugar addiction: the state of the science
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5174153/

Food craving and food "addiction": a critical review of the evidence from a biopsychosocial perspective
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10837838/

SUCROSE TASTE THRESHOLDS OF RATS AND HUMANS
    https://journals.physiology.org/doi/abs/10.1152/ajplegacy.1939.128.2.291

The role of T1r3 and Trpm5 in carbohydrate-induced obesity in mice
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22683548/

Studies in normal and obese subjects with a monitored food dispensing device
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/5216999/

A satiety index of common foods
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7498104/

The Influence of Palatable Diets in Reward System Activation: A Mini Review
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27087806/

• 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited November 2022
  • ghrmj
    ghrmj Posts: 86 Member
    ghrmj wrote: »
    /q
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    People use language to convey their experience. If I say "I really enjoy food", you'll have one understanding of what that means. If I say "I'm addicted to food" then you have a different, perhap more accurate, understanding of my experience. Using the term addicted generally intimates that the individual is unable to moderate their use of that particular thing. And yes, being addicted to sugar is a very real experience. And nobody should deny the op her experience. If she feels addicted to sugar, then she feels addicted to sugar. All of your guy's semantics are useless and devaluing the op's experience, whether you like what she said or not.

I can never understand this problem. You'd think people would be overjoyed to learn that they are not "addicted" to something. The thing I've always liked about MFP is that it has the courage to correct misinformation.

Well, I'm sure as the word gets out to all the people that feel addicted and now find out they aren't, and it's all in their heads, they'll be very grateful. lol Cheers

Ha! Talking about sugar, to be clear. You have to admit there is a certain drama to "I am addicted to sugar" rather than "I tend to overeat sweets".

Well, if those 2 statements are the only 2 realities, then yes, what remains would be "certain drama". The 1st reality is a person feels hopelessly a slave to a sweet taste while the second reality would dictate that they could take it or leave it.

Here's another reality. When we consume sugar it travels down the limbic system to our brain which also controls neurochemical messaging but also has an effect on our behavior and when someone has a problem with sugar, brain scans show that the same pathways that cocaine and other drugs use and produce similar events, and studies show that sugar not only can replace the "hit" people get from drugs but that it even has a greater initial "hit" effect.

Basically it's a nuanced conversation that normally gets squashed with the conventional bias or beliefs because sugar isn't a substance that in the strictest definition, is not addicting.

OK. Because I always respect your posts, what do you think should be done differently with someone who has a sugar addiction verses someone who tends to overeat and is very over weight and needs to lose?

How would the approach differ? Can a sugar addiction be cured? Or, is it abstinence forever?

Well, first off, I have my own biases so I will, as I generally do, try and keep that out of this conversation, but suspect some of that will creep in.

The problem with overeating and obesity is, it's multifaceted so there isn't a blanket recommendation that will fit all circumstances, and some may have nothing to do with sugar "addiction". But sugar does loom large in this demographic, no doubt about it.

The road I've lately been going down thinking about this is to try and find a root cause as opposed to trying to find ways to finger *kitten* it and tell people to take responsibility to eat less and move more, because as we know, that been a total failure and actually the numbers only go higher.

Without getting into the weeds and sighting literature I believe if we focused more on our fasting insulin sensitivity as opposed to blood sugar that medical advice would have been more focused at a much earlier age, at childhood for example as opposed to 2, 3 or 4 decades later where insulin resistance started to steadily increase and with dietary habits well entrenched by then which makes it very difficult for change and generally evolving into diabetes and of course diabetes is prevelant in the obese population along with many other health issues.

If we took fasting insulin levels from the get go it would have become very clear that higher levels of insulin in the blood were the result from the consumption of a diet with a higher percentage coming from ultra processed and to a lesser degree processed foods. Basically, a chronically elevated level of insulin ensures blood sugars are kept low but over time the pancreas just can't continue to pump out insulin at that elevated rate indefinitely. What happens is blood sugars creep up because insulin can't keep up. Basically the Y asis of blood sugar that held steady for many years starts to go up while the X axis of insulin begins to go down and worst case scenario is people with diabetes are given insulin injections after yrs on metformin because of this simple fact so yeah, finding the root cause is paramount imo.

Anyway sugar lol. I think we all have a pretty good idea that consuming large amounts, which the US population does of ultra and processed foods that it's not good for our health. Anyway the early fasting insulin blood testing would have put these foods directly at the bullseye and possibly the advice to remove and go to a more whole food diet when we were still kids might have changed to some degree what people eat, or at least I'm believing that would have had some influence. Would this have affected how many people have a problem with sugar now, I'm betting it would have. Kinda late though.

Saying all that, a more of a whole food diet and a low carb diet for people that have a sugar "addiction" would be my recommendations. Keep in mind that people that have no problem managing their energy balance and are of normal weight this hypothesis is not applicable, even though I would suggest getting fasting insulin testing going forward. Losing weight and being close to a normal BMI with a regularly monitored normal energy balance is a good place to be, obviously.

See I didn't get into too many weeds lol. Cheers

Anyway--back to my question. A whole food, low carb diet would be your recommendation for a "sugar addict" to lose weight. But then what recommendation would you give a very over weight person, who is not addicted to sugar, and needs to lose? Would your approach be different and why?

This is never addressed in the debates on sugar addiction.

This wasn't addressed to me but, imo, the difference would be whether the person can include certain foods in moderation, or not. Some people are able to moderate, and even do better with compliance when they allow themselves a small amount of sugary "treats". It makes them feel satisfied.
    I would say that the person who puts themselves in the addicted category would be triggered, rather than satisfied, by the same small sugary "treat". And it could lead to a feeling of loss of control, and perhaps a sugar binge.

Sorry that you became upset with my post saying "when one of the partners cannot control themselves around certain foods", but it was a general statement and not particularly aimed at you. I never said or thought that you were a glutton. I truly hope that you are able to lose the weight you want and that it makes you happy and healthy.

I quoted your above post because you were talking about a loss of control.

No need to apologize, my triggers are not your fault. There was nothing objectively wrong with the language you used. I was just using it as an example to illustrate my point.
  • g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 145 Member
    Even the 'experts'-neurologists, nutritionists, medical doctors, researchers of addictions/addictive behaviors-are in conflict as to whether the term 'addiction' should be used with out-of-control behavior when consuming simple sugars. But, from what I have read/heard, they all recognize that the same craving and reward centers/chemicals are activated with behavioral addictions, chemical addictions, and-for some people-simple sugars.

And yes, to those who asked if there are people who eat granulated sugar by the spoonful when candy is not readily available, and yes, there are folks who eat cough drops (mentholated or not) and/or toothpaste and mouthwash (Artificial sweeteners), when it is the only thing they can find when a craving for sweets occurs. I have seen/heard of folks who eat too-old cake after removing mold on frosting, and many have admitted to doing the Seinfeld thing of pulling a sweet goodie out of trash if they think it is not contaminated.

One of the difference in sugar issues IME is that after a period of not having sugar (added or simple) in the diet, the desire for it is reduced and the sensitivity to it is increased. So that after a period of time of no added/simple sugar intake, the individual may believe that they can drink a soda or eat a frosted cupcake 'every once in awhile', like average people do. Some can. (But then, some folks can use drugs in a recreational fashion a time or two and not become addicted.) Even when fruits and sweeter veg have been a part of regular consumption so that there is no 'deprivation' of sweet things in their diet, the simpler sugar products not only do not taste as good as they did before, but sometimes they may actually taste bad. At this point, the individual in question has a 'choice' to make-stop eating/drinking the now-bad tasting item or continue. Weird thing is, some people 'choose' to continue. IME with people who return to rehab multiple times, theirs is a similar 'choice'. They get 'clean', are successful, and believe they can have 'just one' drink, or 'just one' snort of coke or whatever. The ones who did 'choose' to stop after this 'just once'-no matter how hard it was- and decide to stay away, do well, but are continually making the 'choice' to stay away from drugs. Those who find it impossible to stay away, wind up back in rehab or on the streets or dead. Seems to be a correlation to those who have issues with simple sugars as well.

Two other very interesting things to me-1). Often those who have abused drugs begin to abuse sugar during rehab and after. 2). Those who seem to have the hardest time making the choice to stay away from addictions-chemical, behavioral, (and sugar use), are those who have used the longest and the heaviest. Lots of correlations made by even the experts who disagree. The food scientists seem to know the answer-all semantics aside. I anticipate that in the next 20 years, they will all be in agreement -that sugar can indeed be addictive to those predisposed. But I could be wrong...

• BartBVanBockstaele
    edited January 2023
    It is, and that is precisely the reason that nonsense, superstition and quackery persist. One can almost never *prove* that something does not exist. One can only point out that there is no credible evidence for a quack claim.

Canadians should be aware of that, their government spent millions in studying "liberation therapy", a blatant quack therapy that shamelessly exploits/exploited the despair of very vulnerable patients, only to conclude that no evidence could be found in its favour. Was liberation therapy ever *disproved*? No. You can't. And that is also not scientist's task. It is up to the claimant to provide credible evidence for her/his claims, not the unbelievers and disbelievers to prove the claim is false.

Anyone claiming otherwise, can begin by *proving* that Santa Claus does not exist and anyone claiming otherwise would do well watching the US senate hearings of TV charlatan Dr. Oz where he had to admit that he was unable to provide evidence for his nonsensical claims. That is how science advances. It is how we know that Newton was right, but only up to a point. It is how we know that Einstein was right, but only up to a point, and it is how we know there is a lot more we don't know yet. And sometimes, but only sometimes, we can provide at least a test of sorts that would provide solid evidence that something is not true, such Einstein and the perihelium of mercury or Haldane and the rabbits in the Precambrian.

Sometimes, it is harder. The problem with bloodletting comes to mind. We have treated numberless humans with bloodletting, until someone made the effort of actually checking, and what was discovered? That bloodletting killed people, it did not cure them.

It is the misunderstanding of how evidence works that allows religions such as homœopathy and chiropractic to continue to exist: they exploit the impossibility to disprove them. It is how quacks can continue to claim that energy (calories) has nothing to do with weight gain...

This is not an unimportant besides-the-point sideshow. It is this lack of understanding that feeds much of the weight loss industry, the supplement industry and others that prey on people's lack of understanding. It is despicable, but unless legislation changes, there is preciously little we can do against it and it is very unlikely such legislation will come to fruition. I blame a misunderstanding of the freedom of religion for that, at least in part: the freedom to believe anything one wants to believe should not receive unreasonable protection by denying all citizens easy access to learning how critical thinking works.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    edited January 2023
    g2renew wrote:
    The food scientists seem to know the answer-all semantics aside.
    Do they though? Or are they simply a bit more refined than the restaurant cook who tries to come up with dishes that her/his customers will want to eat again? To make an unlikely comparison: are medical scales evil because they are more accurate and precise than junky drugstore scales? Is that not what food scientists who work for food companies do: trying to be more precise and more predictable a.k.a. more reliable?

I am asking, because there seems to be a big element of hypocrisy in claims surrounding the food industry. Let's be clear: no sane person will ever claim that they are sweet angels but, is a food company evil because it uses, say, E260 while a restaurant cook is great because he/she uses vinegar?
  • neanderthin
    It is, and that is precisely the reason that nonsense, superstition and quackery persist. One can almost never *prove* that something does not exist. One can only point out that there is no credible evidence for a quack claim.

Canadians should be aware of that, their government spent millions in studying "liberation therapy", a blatant quack therapy that shamelessly exploits/exploited the despair of very vulnerable patients, only to conclude that no evidence could be found in its favour. Was liberation therapy ever *disproved*? No. You can't. And that is also not scientist's task. It is up to the claimant to provide credible evidence for her/his claims, not the unbelievers and disbelievers to prove the claim is false.

Anyone claiming otherwise, can begin by *proving* that Santa Claus does not exist and anyone claiming otherwise would do well watching the US senate hearings of TV charlatan Dr. Oz where he had to admit that he was unable to provide evidence for his nonsensical claims. That is how science advances. It is how we know that Newton was right, but only up to a point. It is how we know that Einstein was right, but only up to a point, and it is how we know there is a lot more we don't know yet. And sometimes, but only sometimes, we can provide at least a test of sorts that would provide solid evidence that something is not true, such Einstein and the perihelium of mercury or Haldane and the rabbits in the Precambrian.

Sometimes, it is harder. The problem with bloodletting comes to mind. We have treated numberless humans with bloodletting, until someone made the effort of actually checking, and what was discovered? That bloodletting killed people, it did not cure them.

It is the misunderstanding of how evidence works that allows religions such as homœopathy and chiropractic to continue to exist: they exploit the impossibility to disprove them. It is how quacks can continue to claim that energy (calories) has nothing to do with weight gain...

This is not an unimportant besides-the-point sideshow. It is this lack of understanding that feeds much of the weight loss industry, the supplement industry and others that prey on people's lack of understanding. It is despicable, but unless legislation changes, there is preciously little we can do against it and it is very unlikely such legislation will come to fruition. I blame a misunderstanding of the freedom of religion for that, at least in part: the freedom to believe anything one wants to believe should not receive unreasonable protection by denying all citizens easy access to learning how critical thinking works.

I love readying your strawman arguments. Cheers
  • DebbsSeattle
    DebbsSeattle Posts: 125 Member
    50 % of all Americans are diabetic or pre-diabetic. Have you looked at children lately? They are getting fatter and fatter with their parents continuing to shove a candy bar or a fast food sandwich and a couple Cokes in their face to keep them happy. Sugar is a poison that is highly addictive. It makes you want it more and more once you begin eating it.

As far as glucose goes…you could avoid all forms of cane sugar, honey and other manufactured sweeteners for the rest of your life, only eating whole food and you would not suffer from lack of glucose. You do not require added sugar.
  • neanderthin
    edited January 2023
    Well, the USDA's at 12.5 % protein and the rest of the foods from energy sources is probably a little out of balance, shoutout to lobbyists. 87.5% energy sources is probably a little more energy than the average American needs and obviously, can cope with. Cheers
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    Sugar is a poison that is highly addictive.
    You are right in the sense that most people do not need added sugar. However, sugar is not a poison. Just because it CAN be misused does not mean that it WILL be misused. Sure, we do not NEED to ingest it in its pure form. But IF we do, we will suffer no ill effects. Not even diabetics will suffer ill effects from eating a single lump of pure refined sugar. In fact, when they experience hypoglycemia, dissolving sugar in a glass of water can save their lives which is why many of them carry sugar tablets (or glucose tablets), candy or bottles of non-diet Cola or fruit juice.

What *is* dangerous for us is *too much* sugar. However, there is not a single exception to that rule. In fact, that is precisely what 'too much' means.
    Too much sugar can kill you.
    Too much water can kill you.
    Too much olive oil can kill you.
    Too much vinegar can kill you.
    Too much ketchup can kill you.
    and so an ad infinitum.