The Jeans Paradox

Options

Replies

• littleswissarmyhouse
    Options
    This! I've been hunting for REAL denim jeans for years! Once in a while I'll walk with hope to the door of a Wilco or Coastal Farm and Feed or Tractor Supply yet feel the rage building up before I even get inside. Never never never do they have real jeans. For females. This world is still a selfish patriarchy.
  • CurvyEmmy
    CurvyEmmy Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    This! I've been hunting for REAL denim jeans for years! Once in a while I'll walk with hope to the door of a Wilco or Coastal Farm and Feed or Tractor Supply yet feel the rage building up before I even get inside. Never never never do they have real jeans. For females. This world is still a selfish patriarchy.

I live in the city so I’ve never even heard of those stores lol. But around here you never see girls wearing jeans. Leggings are way more popular. It’s not the patriarchy lol. It’s because leggings are more comfortable and also more practical. They are soft on your skin. They stretch so they always fit comfortably even if you gain weight. They hug your figure as give you a full range of motion. They are practical for both lounging around and for doing exercise / physical work. I don’t really understand why someone would want jeans when leggings are an option.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I own one pair of NYDJ and they are definitely the sturdiest, realest denim of all my jeans. I got them on deep clearance, they're normally a pricey brand.

Levis used to be decent denim but I can't speak to their current quality since they're a terrible fit on me and I've learned to avoid them.

American Eagle has the most consistent sizing, for me. I'd feel confident grabbing my size and getting a good fit without needing to try on. Sadly our local store never stocks long or xlong and their regular inseam is way too short for me.
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 17,824 Member
    Options
    I have several pairs of NYDJ jeans that I bought at the outlet store here - usually waiting for a holiday sale. I agree that they're the most real denim pants I own.

I also just recently bought some Bandolino jeans from Sam's Club, of all places. Those have a little stretch in them, but for about $12/pair, they're more than worth it.
  • Squiktater
    Squiktater Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ariat has some good work jeans for women in a wide range of sizes.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Agree! And with tunic tops being out of style at the moment, it's tough to get good coverage over leggings. The newest crop of leggings resemble stirrup pants in thickness and fit. I wore a thick pair to work last week with boots, boyfriend button-front shirt and oversized fleece - covering my derriere. I am of the opinion that even the most perfect hard body gym rat should wear some sort of legging bottom cover beyond the gym or home.

Yeah our office dress code mandates derriere coverage with leggings, also limitations re fabric (not shiny).

That's probably the result of the gal who wore skin-tight glittery leopard print leggings with everything waist-down clearly on display, taking "business casual" to a whole new level.
  • outdoorzgirl
    outdoorzgirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Tangent: What's with the "rise" trends? Small-waisted women look ridiculous in high waisted jeans that are baggy around her stomach, lol! But you have to fight to find a pair of low rise anywhere locally because "fashion trends" dictate we only provide access to the "fashionable" style. I guess if you're easy to fit you can just order online (assuming you can get an accurate size chart for that exact pair of jeans), but those of us who are hard to fit are out of luck. It's really unfortunate we've allowed profit margins instead of functionality to rule how we think we ought to provide access to basic necessities like clothing. Also vanity sizing. Just stop, please. Use inches for bottoms, not completely arbitrary "sizes" that are meaningless.
  • azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Longtime lurker who just had to set up an account today to tell this story.

First, let me say y'all have given me lots of support material. This is a great forum.

I lost 100 lbs, going from 245 to 145 from the first two weeks to slow the spread to week, eh, 75 of slowing the spread. It was about a year and a half. I've tracked every bite. I'm 5'8".

And I've gone from a size 20 to an 8.

There's immense joy for me in wearing real denim. Not that thin Old Navy denim colored cotton weave they call denim, but real thick denim like I wore as a kid. For my two decades of being overweight, I had to wear junky denim because the real stuff isn't made for bigger girls. All my junky jeans were so thin you could easily pinch it between your fingers and rub it back and forth like a handkerchief cotton. Every pair I had would wear through in the crotch in a month of regular wear. I dreamt of wearing a pair of Thelma and Louise style, real jeans!

And I found a pair of discounted Lucky Brand jeans with zero give in them on a sales rack. I thought they looked like they were for preteens. They'd never fit. But they did. And they looked great. And more than that, they felt great. Like I was wearing pants, and not leggings. Like I could kneel down I the desert to look at the damage to my convertible after a car chase.

Today I went to the Lucky Brand store, thinking I'd get another pair. The salesgirl was very nice. She pulled a few pairs for me to try on, and I did.

But only one pair had that magic real-denim, no give at all, serious feeling. And they looked great on me. The others were oddly baggy and the denim was that handkerchief denim that was baggy around the thighs. Weird.

So I asked the salesgirl. Why do these feel great and these others look so bad and baggy, even though both are an 8?

She came clean. The pair that fit great was old stock. They had found them in the stockroom underneath another box and put them out on the floor. They were a season old.

They were also made from thicker, less forgiving denim. All the new jeans are thinner, with more generous cuts in butt and thigh.

I couldn't believe it.

I lose 100 pounds to make my jean dreams come true, and they're dashed by vanity sizing.

Interestingly enough, while I was in the store, a girl asked about finding XL and size 20 several times. They said they're getting more of those sizes in soon.

The silver lining, though, is that my one good pair of jeans shows no sign of wear at all in the crotch. So it ain't all bad.

Check the item code on the pairs you like and look on Ebay for those items. Sometimes people don't like them after purchase so they sell on ebay to make their $$ back. I have had great luck with brands I know and am familiar with the style, fabric and fit on Ebay!!
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Sorry wrong thread
  • nay0m3
    nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My favorite jeans are Silver jeans. I am fit but have a booty and hips and these jeans are the only ones that fit me nicely! I am also short and they have short sizes.

I also love Maurice's jeggings. I wear an XS which is by no means my real size on my bottom but these work the best. They feel like real jeans but allow me to wear tall boots over my jeans. Hope this helps!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I spent all weekend looking for jeans. They are all so tight on the legs all the way down. I did find Lees at Kohls which are not quite as tighht, didnt buy them yet because mine look about as good. Those leggings spoil us, so comfy.
  • Hollis300
    Hollis300 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think that clothing manufacturers have finally realized that women's clothes are not models from the catwalk and clothing sizes for most people should be different. And, of course, all production facilities are trying to make many products at the minimum cost of materials. Therefore, a similar situation occurs. I recently bought mom jeans in a second-hand store and found an article on how to style mom jeans. In general, I am very happy with my purchase, since now it is rare that you can find jeans made of normal fabric.

I bought some No Bo brand mom jeans at a Walmart this year for under $12 a pair and was shocked to find they fit me. I don't want skinny jeans and am tired of low rise jeans that slide down. I don't care what mom jeans are called, if they fit, they fit. So far the fabric has held up.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!