Does this app work ?

Options
Hey guys I'm new to this I got recommended from my mate . I'm just wondering if it's legit ... I feel like I got to eat alot to reach the calorie goal... but will I still lose weight?

Replies

• IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    It works if you do!

Seriously, set it up and pay attention to what you are eating, stay in the calorie guidelines and you will lose weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Hey guys I'm new to this I got recommended from my mate . I'm just wondering if it's legit ... I feel like I got to eat alot to reach the calorie goal... but will I still lose weight?

Yes, it works. Weight management is just math. And contrary to popular belief you don't have to starve to lose weight.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,282 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    75lbs loss for me. It works if you're overall consistent but also adapt based on your real life results.

MFP, just like any calorie calculator, is based on population averages. My real life weight loss taught me, contrary to all my expectations, that I can even eat more than MFP tells me to. But other people find they can eat less. The key is to compare your actual weight loss results to what you should have lost and adjust accordingly (upwards or downwards) after a period of at least one, preferably two, months or - for menstruating women - menstrual cycles.

My weight loss was quite painless, while other attempts (other methods) had failed.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Well .. it kind of depends on a few things if 'it will work' or not. Mostly, it all depends on you.
    First ... if you feel your calories are too high, then perhaps you have your statistics set up wrong. For example, did you make your activity level too high? Also, are you inputting exercise and then wanting to add back in the exercise calories to your daily allotment? ... if you both set up your activity level as high AND input exercise calories, you could be doubling up on that!
    Second ... For the 'app' to work, you have to do your part. ... Exercise as you set yourself up as doing. ... Weigh or measure your food and input it correctly to track your used calories. ... Do it every day. ...

The thing that's nice about using an app, any app, that lets you track your calorie input is being able to use the database to help you sort out which foods fit better into your meal plans within your targets.

Good luck. Keep us posted on how it's working for you. There are many people on here who have had a lot of success using this app, me included.
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I've lost 124 pounds since February.

It's legit.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can work. That advice above about following it for 4-6 weeks, then adjusting based on average weight change: That's good advice.

I lost 50+ pounds in less than a year, from class 1 obese to a healthy weight, using that kind of process; and have been at a healthy weight since, using the tactics I learned and practiced.

There's a lot of BS in blog posts and magazine articles and what-not, suggesting that people all need to eat punitively low calories to lose weight. It's not generally true. Some of it is pure mythology, some it is from expectations (by doctors and such) that most people will eat more than they intend to, or more than they think they're eating (i.e., wishful or inaccurate logging), so they hand out ultra-low goals to compensate for that. If you log with reasonable faithfulness and accuracy - no need to obsess - you're likely to do fine.

It's more about patience and persistence than "Lose Weight Fast!!!". "Lose Weight Fast!!!" is a trap. It leads people into unsustainable, restrictive ways of eating, and extreme, miserable ways of exercising that aren't sustainable, so people give up and regain. Moderate tactics, focusing on sustainable habits, are something that can actually work. But they take patience and persistence.

Best wishes!