How to ease into exercise without getting sick

Options
2»

Replies

• allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    Suggest, in addition to above suggestions, get some supplements that help with long-haul covid symptoms. I've known several long-haulers and their supplements have been extremely beneficial in their healing and well-being. Energy levels came right back. the "cement legs" went away. Out-of-breath disappeared. (Unless, of course, your doctors don't recommend them for other reasons.)

What kind of supplements?

Sorry didn't get back to you sooner. In
    Suggest, in addition to above suggestions, get some supplements that help with long-haul covid symptoms. I've known several long-haulers and their supplements have been extremely beneficial in their healing and well-being. Energy levels came right back. the "cement legs" went away. Out-of-breath disappeared. (Unless, of course, your doctors don't recommend them for other reasons.)

What kind of supplements?
    Sorry didn't get back to you sooner.

Inthe morning, spaced as your dietary requirements:

Prevagen, Vit C, Vit D3, Zinc 50mg, Methyl B-12 (5,000mcg).

In eve before sleep: Magnesium, Quercetin with Bromelain.
    Note about Quercetin with Bromelain, take for 6 weeks then important to take a break from it.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Instead of creating a new post just thought I’d ask on here.
    Considering my health problems above are gentle Pilates and light workouts with 2-3 lbs dumbbells enough to maintain muscle during a calorie deficit? I also walk around 5000-8000 steps a day. I’m also increasing my protein to 130-150g per day which is something I’ve never done before. In the past I’ve lost too much muscle during a cut and ended up losing muscle due to low protein and too low calories.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    Considering my health problems above are gentle Pilates and light workouts with 2-3 lbs dumbbells enough to maintain muscle during a calorie deficit? I also walk around 5000-8000 steps a day. I’m also increasing my protein to 130-150g per day which is something I’ve never done before. In the past I’ve lost too much muscle during a cut and ended up losing muscle due to low protein and too low calories.

Small calorie deficit? And how challenging is 2-3lb dumbbells for you, at the rep range you plan?

IIRC, you're not very overweight, if at all? Tiny deficit, then - slow loss. Especially if you're still recovering!

I understand that you're just getting back into strength training gradually as you recover, which is IMO a good plan. I think you still want lifting to be - in your case - just the tiniest, most manageable bit of a challenge. That could be with higher reps and lower weight (personally, I find that less fatiguing/demanding vs. higher weight and lower reps, but YMMV). Since you're trying to recover, and targeting not losing mass (vs. gaining), maybe just looking for that edge where the last reps take a little commitment, but no great effort?

Protein may be more than you strictly need (if I'm correctly recalling that you're a mid-sized woman, 5'4"-5'6"-ish?), but shouldn't be harmful. Protein quality matters, too. (I can remember whether you eat animal protein . . . you don't need to, but dietary details would differ depending). If you've had trouble in the past, spreading protein through the day may be helpful, even though that's not generically essential among younger (than me ;) ) people. Also, the other elements of good nutrition - healthy fats, micronutrients, fiber - are relevant, too, of course. Protein will do its job more effectively in a positive overall nutritional context.

• xxzenabxx
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Small calorie deficit? And how challenging is 2-3lb dumbbells for you, at the rep range you plan?

IIRC, you're not very overweight, if at all? Tiny deficit, then - slow loss. Especially if you're still recovering!

I understand that you're just getting back into strength training gradually as you recover, which is IMO a good plan. I think you still want lifting to be - in your case - just the tiniest, most manageable bit of a challenge. That could be with higher reps and lower weight (personally, I find that less fatiguing/demanding vs. higher weight and lower reps, but YMMV). Since you're trying to recover, and targeting not losing mass (vs. gaining), maybe just looking for that edge where the last reps take a little commitment, but no great effort?

Protein may be more than you strictly need (if I'm correctly recalling that you're a mid-sized woman, 5'4"-5'6"-ish?), but shouldn't be harmful. Protein quality matters, too. (I can remember whether you eat animal protein . . . you don't need to, but dietary details would differ depending). If you've had trouble in the past, spreading protein through the day may be helpful, even though that's not generically essential among younger (than me ;) ) people. Also, the other elements of good nutrition - healthy fats, micronutrients, fiber - are relevant, too, of course. Protein will do its job more effectively in a positive overall nutritional context.

I’m 5’ 4” and my clothing size is U.K. 12-14 and in the US it would be 8-10 if that gives you an indication of my size. Aiming to be a U.K. size 10/US size 6. But you’re right I’m not too overweight but I am heavy though (naturally) and in the past I’ve lost muscle too hence why I’ve increased my protein intake but realistically I’m going to end up eating around 130g most days because so far that’s where I seem to be averaging. I eat all kinds of protein such as lamb, Turkey, eggs, chicken, fish, prawns.

In terms of my workout I found some 2.3kg/5 lbs dumbells and I’m planning on sticking to 12-15 reps? Yeah I tried the heavy weights and low reps and that blew me out. I was on bed rest for two days and couldn’t breathe properly. That’s a no go for me atm. So lightweight and high rep it is for me. Thanks I’ll try the tip for making the last few reps a tiny bit challenging. Hopefully the lighter weights and higher reps will help me to maintain muscle mass. I’m not interested in building any atm. Calorie deficit is around 300 calories so that’s going to be slowww.

• xxzenabxx
    Options

I’m 5’ 4” and my clothing size is U.K. 12-14 and in the US it would be 8-10 if that gives you an indication of my size. Aiming to be a U.K. size 10/US size 6. But you’re right I’m not too overweight but I am heavy though (naturally) and in the past I’ve lost muscle too hence why I’ve increased my protein intake but realistically I’m going to end up eating around 130g most days because so far that’s where I seem to be averaging. I eat all kinds of protein such as lamb, Turkey, eggs, chicken, fish, prawns.

In terms of my workout I found some 2.3kg/5 lbs dumbells and I’m planning on sticking to 12-15 reps? Yeah I tried the heavy weights and low reps and that blew me out. I was on bed rest for two days and couldn’t breathe properly. That’s a no go for me atm. So lightweight and high rep it is for me. Thanks I’ll try the tip for making the last few reps a tiny bit challenging. Hopefully the lighter weights and higher reps will help me to maintain muscle mass. I’m not interested in building any atm. Calorie deficit is around 300 calories so that’s going to be slowww.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options

Since you eat animal proteins, no need to get fancy in meal planning, I'd say: 130g spread through the day, protein choices purely to taste, should be fine IMO.

To the bolded, keep in mind that it's fine to "experiment your way up" over a period of time, i.e., maybe go one time or two just to the point of kind of feeling that last rep; see how that settles in during recovery; add another rep if all is well; etc. None of this is a crisis that needs to be instantly exact and perfect, I think. You'll be reminding your body you need your muscles, and if your deficit is small (like maybe half a pound a week loss?) it likely won't be desperately trying to scavenge calories beyond stored fat.

Obviously, this is just my opinion, though. Wishing you good outcomes!
  • mrdcmcmillan574
    mrdcmcmillan574 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You might want to boost your immune system first by eating foods high in vitamin c, vitamin d and zinc. You can take these in pill firm as well. Also elderberry, oregano oil and I believe either turmeric or ginger, garlic and onions are good for your immune system
  • Adamadam404
    Adamadam404 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    AnnF99 wrote: »
    Cuando decidí tomarme en serio la pérdida de peso, me dijeron que no podía perder mucho peso porque mi presión arterial suele ser alta, y resulta que perder peso rápidamente supone un esfuerzo adicional para el organismo, especialmente para los riñones. Y si esto se refuerza más y los problemas con la presión, el cuerpo no puede soportar. Pero no me rendí. Encontré una salida a la situación, las cápsulas de Normaten. Sorprendentemente, me ayudaron rápidamente a normalizar mi presión arterial y a perder peso. Ahora he perdido 10 kg y mi presión arterial no me molesta en absoluto.

AnnF99, Pero me gustaría agregar mi recomendación, que puede ser útil para la hipertensión. Mi secreto para combatir esta enfermedad es el uso de las cápsulas Vazex. Lee sobre ellas, quizás también te ayuden a ti.