How do you get all your calories in?

Options
2»

Replies

• kimchidiet
    kimchidiet Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Even if you aren't hungry at night...eat anyway if you need the calories. Eventually it will become a habit and you will start to get hungry at that time. If food is physically hurting to eat, I recommend taking an antacid.
    I second the high-fat foods thing - fats have the most calories at 9 calories per gram. So nuts, full-fat dairy, are good options.
  • Leettabateman756
    Options
    Instead of eating more at meals . Increase caloric intake with snacks
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I’m going to assume from the amount of weight lost, stated in your other post, that you are well aware of weighing and tracking foods pretty accurately.

I’d start with getting rid of the sugar free peanut butter and going the full Monty.

There’s less need for “diet” type foods if you’d trying to get calories up.

@AnnPT77 gave you excellent suggestions in your other post.

Don’t let the pendulum swing too far in the other direction, and replace one issue with another. I came very close to that and chose to put some weight back on.

You don’t indicate your height, but for 136 + personal training (indicating weights) that would be pretty low unless you are fairly short. I’m 5’7” and in the upper 120’s, I was freaking scary. My trainer began with subtle hints, eat more, you’re too thin, until she finally laid it out that she’d dump me if I didn’t. She also sent a photo taken of me from behind that I still think of as the Grandaddy Longlegs picture. Tough love worked.

I think you're confusing low fat peanut butter, which IS a low calorie food, with sugar-free peanut butter, which is not. Sugar-free PB has more peanuts, which are calorie dense.

But I definitely agree with eating less diet foods as a way to get calories up. Chicken thighs instead of chicken breast. Fatty fish (or red meat) instead of lower fat fish. Snacks. Etc.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    How about trying to create the PERFECT daily menu on paper first. Make it balanced, nutritional, complete and as close to on the nose calorie wise. Then try eating it. For you a snack based eating plan might be better than full meals. Get your system on track with in taking and digesting food during all waking hours, cutting off 4 hours before sleep. Keep your body to a regular sleep schedule, maintaining at least 8 hours of continual rest at night. Make certain your micro nutrients are in balance, by eating varied foods. Eliminate processed foods. Move towards clean, whole food. Choose fatty fish like salmon over cod, choose 4% yogurt over fat free, Select a whole egg over egg whites, select varied added oils to include not just one. Look to the food pyramid and try to get it all in. Try adding whole nuts as an appetizer to each meal. We take one Brazil nut, one almond and one walnut with each meal. Be sure to drink your water throughout the day.

I'll quibble with it. First off, there's no actual agreed on idea of what a healthy way of eating is. Most of this is too complicated for anybody to stick to in real life. We're all just trying to survive day to day, and a lot of these clean/healthy eating advocates seem to not understand that if you go to work at 6 am, get home at 7:30 pm, try to take care of everything else in life, it's just not realistic to be that detailed on what you eat. He'll, I don't even have 4 hours between the time I get home and the time I go to bed, so sorry, I'm gonna eat my dinner when I'm ready to....
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    How about trying to create the PERFECT daily menu on paper first. Make it balanced, nutritional, complete and as close to on the nose calorie wise. Then try eating it. For you a snack based eating plan might be better than full meals. Get your system on track with in taking and digesting food during all waking hours, cutting off 4 hours before sleep. Keep your body to a regular sleep schedule, maintaining at least 8 hours of continual rest at night. Make certain your micro nutrients are in balance, by eating varied foods. Eliminate processed foods. Move towards clean, whole food. Choose fatty fish like salmon over cod, choose 4% yogurt over fat free, Select a whole egg over egg whites, select varied added oils to include not just one. Look to the food pyramid and try to get it all in. Try adding whole nuts as an appetizer to each meal. We take one Brazil nut, one almond and one walnut with each meal. Be sure to drink your water throughout the day.

I'll quibble with it. First off, there's no actual agreed on idea of what a healthy way of eating is. Most of this is too complicated for anybody to stick to in real life. We're all just trying to survive day to day, and a lot of these clean/healthy eating advocates seem to not understand that if you go to work at 6 am, get home at 7:30 pm, try to take care of everything else in life, it's just not realistic to be that detailed on what you eat. He'll, I don't even have 4 hours between the time I get home and the time I go to bed, so sorry, I'm gonna eat my dinner when I'm ready to....

Well, there is what would be considered a healthier lifestyle that would include as far as food is concerned, more whole foods replacing ultra processed and ultra palatable foods. Specific dietary plans are individual of course and could be debated. imo
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,814 Member
    Options
    I believe in the philosophy of “It’s Better Than It Was Before”.

Small changes add up, and each “mindful” change is better than it was the week or day before.

You don’t have to have a “PERFECT” daily meal plan. Far from it. I check my seven day averages and if they’re relatively close to goal, I’m OK with that. I’m not about to fight them on a day to day basis. And I say that as an OCD, perfectionist. You gotta choose your battles.

@sollyn23l2 you sound like my daughter. She’s up at 4:30 am to catch the bus for the hour ride to work, where she meets her work crew for a shared 45 minute ride to a rural job site before they’re even on the clock. It’s often 6 before she even gets home, and she goes to bed by 8:30.

(She’s an apprentice, and will hopefully be off this job site in a few months, and off this “use & abuse” cycle once she completes her apprenticeship.)

Yet, she’s managed to use MFP to lose a pants size.

I guess it’s all based on desire to succeed, and creatively and thoughtfully working around your challenges.
  • keshaldra
    keshaldra Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you need more calories, but don't have the hunger for them, you need calorie-dense foods. Nuts are oils are good for this. You can drink your calories as well, that's another method....shakes, juice, etc.
  • Vanessalove10
    Vanessalove10 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give you some advice based on what I did through the years of intentional weight gain. First I want to mention that you probably find it so difficult right now because you aren't used to eating large volumes and your stomach is small so you get full quickly. You can expand your stomach but it's going to take some effort and be uncomfortable for a while. You'll need to be patient. Here's some of the things I did.
    • Eat Quickly!
    I know this is a difficult one when your stomach is still small and you’re not used to it. I promise it gets easier after a while. Your stomach will signal to your brain when you’re full, telling you to stop eating. This makes it uncomfortable to keep eating past fullness. You need to eat quicker so that your brain receives the fullness signal after you’ve already eaten past fullness. Eliminate any distractions and focus on scarfing down your meal as fast as you can! Note: at a certain point this has the potential to make you vomit, so once you’re used to eating quicker, I wouldn’t try finishing a large meal in less than 5-10 minutes. This is only meant to get your body used to larger volumes of food at first.
    • Eat Less Filling Foods
    With this one, I recommend it only to a certain point. You don’t want to be gorging on Doritos and ice cream all day because these highly processed foods tend to lack adequate nutrition and can make you feel sick in large quantities. However, while trying to gain weight it’s best not to fill up on nothing but veggies, either. I suggest things like natural juices, yogurt, soups, smoothies, nuts & seeds, French fries, dried fruit, and avocados. They won’t make you feel full too quickly and you’ll be able to eat more of them, therefore getting in more calories.

• Sneak In Extra Calories
    There are many ways in which you can consume more calories without really feeling like you’re eating a lot. Butter and oils are a couple of my favorites. Just add a little extra than you normally would. Olive oil alone contains 120 calories in just a single tablespoon!
    Another way to sneak in those calories is to use more condiments. Remember, it’s easiest to eat more when you don’t really feel like your consumption has increased dramatically.

A fantastic way to consume more calories and also get adequate protein is to make your own smoothies. If you don’t already have a blender, I highly recommend investing in one. It doesn’t have to be too fancy or expensive! Just a basic kitchen blender from Walmart works well enough. Get a protein powder that you can actually stand the taste of, and add in milk, fresh or frozen fruit, Greek yogurt, seeds, nuts, nut butter, anything you can think of! Liquid calories are way less filling and it’s so easy to meet your protein requirements with a delicious homemade smoothie!

• A Few Personal Tips
    One of the things that made my weight gain journey easier was to finish as much of my plate as I could, but sometimes there would be a few more bites left that I just couldn’t stomach. In relentless determination, I would shovel a big bite into my mouth, chew good and thorough, then take a huge gulp of water to force it down. Think of it like you’re taking a pill. You could even do this a few times until your plate is completely clean. I suggest only doing this once you’re already full because the extra liquid can make your stomach expand before you’re truly full with food. Another personal favorite of mine is to add hemp seeds to everything. Hemp seeds contain 166 calories for just 3 tablespoons, as well as 9.5 grams of protein, 15 grams of healthy fats, plus fiber, iron, and vitamin B6. I love the nutty, smooth flavor they have on their own, but what’s especially attractive about hemp seeds is that they are so versatile! They blend seamlessly with practically everything. Even if you don’t like the flavor, you can easily cover it up in a variety of foods. Try putting them in your smoothies!

Obviously I'm well-versed in the subject and I'm happy to provide more insight and support if you want. Feel free to add me, too.

• jyoti_0
    jyoti_0 Posts: 87 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I average about 700-800 calories a day, while I should be getting 1200. I have added sugar free peanut butter to my morning protein smoothie, but am still coming up short. For lunch I eat chicken breast or fish with lots of veggies. Dinner is a struggle, as I'm just not hungry at night. Advice?

I too have the same "problem". Eat lots of fruits, veggies, and not hungry in the evenings. So, dinner is mostly a small snack for me. My calories come up to around 850 through the day so I "reverse cheat" logging my food in MFP. Just repeat some of the food that I have eaten for breakfast or lunch. That's it.
    p.s: I read other replies after posting this and now I'm worried about my calories :#
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,282 Member
    Options
    jyoti_0 wrote: »
    I average about 700-800 calories a day, while I should be getting 1200. I have added sugar free peanut butter to my morning protein smoothie, but am still coming up short. For lunch I eat chicken breast or fish with lots of veggies. Dinner is a struggle, as I'm just not hungry at night. Advice?

I too have the same "problem". Eat lots of fruits, veggies, and not hungry in the evenings. So, dinner is mostly a small snack for me. My calories come up to around 850 through the day so I "reverse cheat" logging my food in MFP. Just repeat some of the food that I have eaten for breakfast or lunch. That's it.
    p.s: I read other replies after posting this and now I'm worried about my calories :#

You should be, unless you have some very specific health conditions that justify it and appropriate medical follow-up, you aren't eating nearly enough and are seriously endangering your health.
  • jyoti_0
    jyoti_0 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    @Lietchi could it be due to my sedentary life/work style that I don't feel hungry later in the day? I work from home, sit in front of my computer the whole day. Breakfast is my biggest meal, then lunch, and in the evenings, I don't feel hungry. Also, I go to sleep quite early. On the days when I work till late (10 pm) then I do eat twice in the evening. On those days I feel the need to eat more..
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,282 Member
    Options
    jyoti_0 wrote: »
    @Lietchi could it be due to my sedentary life/work style that I don't feel hungry later in the day? I work from home, sit in front of my computer the whole day. Breakfast is my biggest meal, then lunch, and in the evenings, I don't feel hungry. Also, I go to sleep quite early. On the days when I work till late (10 pm) then I do eat twice in the evening. On those days I feel the need to eat more..

Hunger is one of life's mysteries... It's highly individual, and can depend on many factors: climate, activity level, recent change in eating habits, hormonal fluctuations, personal reactions to specific macros,...
    Hunger isn't necessarily a good basis for determining your food intake.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    If you can’t increase your calories by increasing volume then you need to concentrate on calorie dense foods. So you can get the right number of calories and better nutrition from a lower volume of food.

Nut butters, nuts, seeds, avocado, cheese, fats in general.

That would be my advice too. Keep it small in volume, but choose calorie dense foods/snacks. There are plenty to choose from.
  • cariad71
    cariad71 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow! You have done incredibly well. Obviously you have to eat low calorie, low sugar, low fat meals as per guidance after bariatric surgery. You either need to add 100 calories to each meal or eat more frequently. You sound like your appetite wanes as the day progresses and dinner is difficult for you. How about getting up a little earlier, having your meals closer together in the earlier part of the day. Eg 7am, 11am an 3pm. The only other thing I can think of is adding calories with liquids (you are meant to be drinking calorie free liquids)- but you have to get your calories somehow. Is your dietician available to support you?