20:4 Intermittent Fasting

Options
MFP needs to offer the option of 20:4 IF. It is the best for our bodies and should not be excluded.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,217 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    OP: If you want MFP to change how the intermittent fasting support works, post that here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/feature-suggestions-and-ideas

The MFP staff don't read every post in the MFP Community forums, so they won't see your post here. Here, only other regular MFP posters are reading, and we can't do any more about this than you can.

Though IF is fine for those who prefer it, I disagree fervently with "It is the best for our bodies". There's a lot of research on fasting recently, but IMO the results are far from definitive at this point. A few profit-seeking prophets are overselling already, though. Maybe they'll turn out to be right on the merits, I don't know . . . but I don't think it's demonstrated yet. Obviously, your mileage varies.

Note to long-time free MFP users: There's a new feature in premium MFP to support IF schedules. I don't know how it works, but I've seen that it's there. I'm guessing that's what OP is complaining about.

There are only three options right now: 12:12, 14:10 and 16:8
    So yeah, that seems to be what the OP is complaining about.
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,350 Member
    Options
    I agree with @Retroguy, i.e. what's the problem?

MFP actually supports up to six customizable "meals". I use only five: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snacks and Pre/Post Workout. I often will skip one or more of those meals.
    I would think you could customize meals for your needs. e.g. Name each meal to indicate when in the 20:4 cycle it occurs. You could name meals for the hour of the day, or simply "first", "second",..., "last".
    I'm curious, what feature would you need to support 20:4 IF?

In any case, take @AnnPT77's advice if you want some feature acted upon.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,217 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Lietchi wrote: »
    OP:

Note to long-time free MFP users: There's a new feature in premium MFP to support IF schedules. I don't know how it works, but I've seen that it's there. I'm guessing that's what OP is complaining about.

12:12? That's hilarious. When I post that I do IF 12:12, I am doing so ironically.

For some more amusement, read the explanation 😎

owgtuxc7rdwi.jpg
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    I agree, MFP explanations are hilarious, well done. lol
  • I_AM_ISRAEL
    I_AM_ISRAEL Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I eat every 2-3 hours after doing IF for years. It’s been the easiest weight loss journey since.
    Plus I get to build muscle at the same time.
    At the end of the day it’s always cals in vs cals out, simple as that.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,050 Member
    Options
    OP: If you want MFP to change how the intermittent fasting support works, post that here:

The MFP staff don't read every post in the MFP Community forums, so they won't see your post here. Here, only other regular MFP posters are reading, and we can't do any more about this than you can.

Though IF is fine for those who prefer it, I disagree fervently with "It is the best for our bodies". There's a lot of research on fasting recently, but IMO the results are far from definitive at this point. A few profit-seeking prophets are overselling already, though. Maybe they'll turn out to be right on the merits, I don't know . . . but I don't think it's demonstrated yet. Obviously, your mileage varies.

12:12? That's hilarious. When I post that I do IF 12:12, I am doing so ironically.

Does MFP call 12:12 IF though or just an eating style??

I agree it is really silly calling it any form of IF.

I have posted many times that IF is not for me - but many times, without trying, I would eat 12:12 - thats something really common for many people - eat breakfast at, say, 8:00 and have dinner finished by 8 pm

Surely not a pattern or style people need to label.

• paperpudding
    Options
    and sure, OP if you want to eat to a 20:4 style, do so - but it isnt best for our bodies or any other universal benifit
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options

I have posted many times that IF is not for me - but many times, without trying, I would eat 12:12 - thats something really common for many people - eat breakfast at, say, 8:00 and have dinner finished by 8 pm

See above screenshot: first option under “select your fasting goal”

• neanderthin
    edited December 2022
    Options
    and sure, OP if you want to eat to a 20:4 style, do so - but it isnt best for our bodies or any other universal benifit

Maybe explain why the science behind time restricted eating it's not a benefit on any level, just a thought.
  • paperpudding
    Options

See above screenshot: first option under “select your fasting goal”

Agreed - that is really silly then

• paperpudding
    Options

Maybe explain why the science behind time restricted eating it's not a benefit on any level, just a thought.

There isnt clear scinece supporting this as a universal benifit - and real life shows us many people do fine on many different eating schedules.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    deenav19 wrote: »
    MFP needs to offer the option of 20:4 IF. It is the best for our bodies and should not be excluded.

Says who? My mother was diabetic, she needed to eat 3 times a day. I eat one meal a day. That doesn't work for everyone, but it works for me.
  • neanderthin
    Options

There isnt clear scinece supporting this as a universal benifit - and real life shows us many people do fine on many different eating schedules.

I'm going to assume your talking about weight loss and I agree with that premise. A shorter window could cause many people to overeat, no doubt about that, or, it could create a more satiating effect and people eat less and lose some weight and everything in between including the fact that CICO is the only thing that dictates weight gain or loss. Time restricted eating (TRE) as far as the science is concerned has nothing to do with weight loss or dieting but has more to do with the time our bodies are in a state of feeding or fasting and the effect that has on our physiology. Cheers
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,350 Member
    Options
    So, I read a few articles about intermittent fasting, and I think I'll try the 5:2 intermittent fasting regimen where you fast 2 days a week - maybe like on a Tuesday and Thursday.

https://www.nia.nih.gov/news/research-intermittent-fasting-shows-health-benefits
  • neanderthin
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Well, 5:2 isn't something a person just tries out of curiosity, and the link you provided have a hard time vetting hard data from IF when there's weight loss because health markers improve from the loss of weight and longevity is well, impossible to substantiate in this context without a controlled trial which means comparing 2 or more groups with very controlled parameters, ideally in a ward setting where everything is accounted for, even sleep and the longevity part would include the study to run for a few decades and I don't think people would like that. If your doing it because you believe it could help you lose weight, well that's a different thing but there's probably easier ways of going about it. Good luck with it though. Cheers.