Waist gap women's pants

Options
Where do fit but curvy women buy their clothes. I so struggle with a horrible waist gap in everything I try it's so frustrating. I need to look nice for my work. I can't seem to find anything professional looking in the curvy fit clothes. I am 120 size 6 everywhere except that dreaded waist gap. The more for I get the more my thighs and butt grow and the more clothing does not fit.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I wear a belt... 🤷‍♀️
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I’ve resorted to more dresses as I can’t find trousers to fit my thighs. I’m short so the bigger sizes which fit my thunder thighs have too much material everywhere else. The best answer is probably a tailor, but my physique is still changing so it’s expensive if clothes only last a year before I change again 🤷‍♂️
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    IAmTheGlue wrote: »

If you don’t sew, you can also cut two little slits on the inside of the waistband on the back. You can then run a piece of elastic in the little tunnel you cut and safety pin it as tight as you need it. The good thing with this method is you can tighten them up more by pulling the elastic tighter if you need to.

This is what I used to do. Only I sewed the elastic on both ends, right straight up from the side seams, so it just looked like the pants came with a side seam in the waistband.
  • claireychn074
    Options
    My issue is it’s not just the waist band. I end up with too much material everywhere except over my thighs. I probably just need to live in leggings
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    My issue is it’s not just the waist band. I end up with too much material everywhere except over my thighs. I probably just need to live in leggings

As long as they aren't butt enhancing :laugh:
    15822 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I've got no advice, all sympathy. I've been getting around on a bike since I was 10, developing superthighs without realising I was doing any exercise and I've not been able to buy a pair of jeans that fit since I was 15. To put that into perspective, looking at my weight log since 2014, I've not actually ever been more than 3 kg (6 pounds) into the "overweight" category until COVID lockdowns. I've always found it baffling that despite being a healthy weight, the biggest pant size in places I've shopped as a teen/early 20s (like H&M) just wouldn't pull up past my knees.
    I grazed my way up to "obese" over COVID, so I went to a plus sized clothing store after the lockdowns lifted and I had to have my bottom half showing in a professional setting again and yes - I got a pair of jeans to slide over my thighs like it was nothing, but I also could have comfortably put a small watermelon down the front of those jeans.
    I have a sewing machine and I'll be sizing down all my lockdown clothes to fit, because what else is there?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    No advice (or spam), but some of my female friends who Crossfit/lift have mentioned Barbell Apparel as a source for jeans, chinos, leggings for women with muscular lower bodies. Haven't hear them talk about fit of waist, though. I've never tried them, am not muscular enough to need them (and have no waist in the first place - built like a 14-year-old boy!), so no direct experience. No dress pants, though. I'm in no way affiliated with company. Probably there are other companies with a similar business model, too.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I also tend to get the dreaded waist gap. I like yoga-pant-type slacks. There are a few good ones from Amazon- they tend to fit like leggings with a professional look, very comfortable. I also got a pair of white jeans from Venus. They are nice enough to wear with business type shirts, and they fit like stretchy jeans.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Kind of an off the wall suggestion, but yogademocracy.com makes flared leg leggings that can be used as dress pants. Very stretchy and forgiving and any time I wear a pair, people flip out.

Not for the shy and retiring, though. Super colorful prints.

https://yogademocracy.com/collections/bell-bottoms?page=1
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Kind of an off the wall suggestion, but yogademocracy.com makes flared leg leggings that can be used as dress pants. Very stretchy and forgiving and any time I wear a pair, people flip out.

(Sorry, no helpful tips to contribute as all my fit problems are from height, not curves)

I took a look at those leggings out of curiosity and I'm impressed! 32" inseam, UPF rating, and a nice percentage of recycled materials used. Those are ticking all my boxes.
  • claireychn074
    Options
    If anyone is in the UK, M&S has just launched some wide leg work trousers. They’re in a fluid material and fit my thighs, with only a small waist gap. They also have straight leg trousers which are generous on the thighs - yes, I actually got work trousers!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »

(Sorry, no helpful tips to contribute as all my fit problems are from height, not curves)

I took a look at those leggings out of curiosity and I'm impressed! 32" inseam, UPF rating, and a nice percentage of recycled materials used. Those are ticking all my boxes.

I’ve worn their leggings for about three years now and they’re made of the same material. They don’t face or bag. Will be tight the first time you wear them and fun after that. Machine wash cold and hang dry.

The bell bottoms can simply be cut to the right length and won’t unravel. But ya do need sharp scissors.
  • lovingtosmellflowers
    Options
    I know the feeling! I wear mom jeans a lot. This might sound weird, but have you ever tried men’s pants/shorts? My aunt recommended them to me, and I have several pairs that are relaxed enough to fit my curves and then some without being too big in the waist.

A lot of times I wear low waisted pants that don’t come up to my waist. That way they only have to fit my hips.

If you like tactical pants, 5.11 Tactical’s ABR pro pants are amazing! These pants have a ton of pockets and they fit both my tiny waist and my big hips really well. Their tdu pants are good for big hips too, but they don’t have the stretch that the ABRs have. I find mine used online, bc I don’t like to support a company that mistreats its workers and makes its products in China.

Hope this helps!
  • vapianogirl2553
    vapianogirl2553 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's suggestion I did find some that fit really nice at Walmart in the girls section size 18 I also might try some of the ones mentioned as I need things for my job.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how things with women's clothing work, but my covid shutdown time lead me to try my hand at tailoring. It really isn't that complicated, for men's clothing anyway. Some very attainable skills with a seam ripper and a sewing machine and the results are pretty amazing.

Also, if you just don't have the time, or desire, to learn to tailor your own clothes my understanding is that paying a professional isn't insanely expensive. You can buy inexpensive clothing off the rack and after having it professionally tailored the cost is probably still less than what you'd pay for some higher end clothing that fits.

Just a thought. Good luck!
  • CurvyEmmy
    CurvyEmmy Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Wear leggings!!! Just get whatever size is a bit too small for your waistline, then stretch them to fit yourself in! They’ll hug your curves and mold to YOUR body shape. Plus they make your butt look amazing. I love mine! They are so much more comfortable than pants! You don’t need to button them or restrict yourself with a belt! The waistband is elastic and will stretch as your waist expands so they always feel perfectly comfy :)

5qm8ckdg92b5.jpeg

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Those leggings might be OK for casual wear but I don't think they are very professional looking for work.

Way too clingy IMO for professional work attire

Careful hon---you'll be accused of being "old". :D:D
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I just got some jeans back from a tailor at my local mall and they’re perfect. I think it cost like 15$ - they do a way better job than I could do and they fit perfect around my waist.