Anyone need a push in the New Year?

Options
sherig_70
sherig_70 Posts: 10 Member
edited January 2023 in Motivation and Support
I'm looking for a handful of people who would like to receive support and help each other along our fitness journey for 2023. Personally, I could even use a little "hello friend, let's get moving".

Little about me...I'm a retired nurse of 7 years, certified personal trainer and former professional bodybuilder. Now before you start to wonder why I'm looking to lose about 40lbs, let me explain... We ALL HAVE OUR GARBAGE and life even crept up on me due to various things which have nothing to do with this post. My post is centered on bringing myself to a healthier version of ME for 2023. (LOL! That rhymes.... hahaha).

Anyone interested in forming a little group with me where we hash out the tough days, celebrate small and big wins, and help each other move forward please comment below.

I'm wishing everyone a safe and happy new year and looking forward to watching your journeys unfold for 2023.

Let's Go!!!!! :)

Replies

• nicoleismyname
    nicoleismyname Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hiya. I'm certainly looking for some support and encouragement and would love some friends in this regards. I'm an English teacher (in France) and a counsellor.
  • Michaeldarlingtx
    Michaeldarlingtx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Mike. And that little extra push is needed here. This year I want to build 30 lbs of muscle.

I’ve got everything I need to get this project started except friends to keep me focused.

Currently stay at home dad in SATX, past personal fitness trainer, navy vet., MEd. And plenty of positive vibes 👍
  • MyBodModProject
    MyBodModProject Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hi. Yes! Please! That is exactly what I have been searching for on MFP and I’ve not found it. I am happy to help out. Cheer for the good things, commiserate the shortcomings, push and cajole a bit to keep folks moving forward.

Sending a friend request.
  • mdlcmj
    mdlcmj Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is also Mike and I'd like to join also. I'm not really sure how it works though. So let me know.
  • Tatted_Gemini
    Tatted_Gemini Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yesss!!! Count me in!
  • 32silverstar
    32silverstar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi friend, let's get moving together, count me in please 🙂
  • TNT52822
    TNT52822 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Hello, I’m Terri and I sure could use the motivation as well. Most days I am all in and then when it’s time to open the fridge and fix those meals it’s like grab those chips and sit down.
    I am retired too.. struggling with the days where I lived in the gym and now I’ve moved and don’t have the opportunity nor honestly the drive. Went thru the phase of you really want try a Fitness Competition thing, now that’s an experience. Meal prep and workouts will make or break you. All that hard work to find yourself fighting the struggle of 40 pounds of on.. off weight to follow besides the mental play that haunt you.
    But hey I am not negative just stating that motivation would be GREAT!!!! LOL HAPPY NEW YEAR 2023~
  • Polydactylkat
    Polydactylkat Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I’d love to join you! 40 year old mom of a 3 year old. Used to workout 5+ days a week, at least 3 of those including weight training. I was in decent shape and then … life!!! Looking to make my way back, under new circumstances. Baby steps :)
  • Michaeldarlingtx
    Options
    Gonna ante up, and pay huge Lifetime fitness membership… I feel like I need their variety of yoga bc I am bad about stretching👀
  • RusticBeautyQ
    RusticBeautyQ Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I absolutely could use more friends and support!

A little about me - My name is Amanda and I just recently got married in September. Prior to the wedding, I was 210 lbs, and REFUSED to be 200 lbs for my wedding. I joined a weight loss program called Profile by Sanford, which helped me drop 15-20 lbs for my wedding. I unfortunately gained it all back and am sitting at around 197.

I am currently in-between careers. I was working at a Mental and Behavioral Health hospital, essentially working with the local jail and psych ward to get people the help they need. The stress was killing me and it was causing problems in my relationship. So I took a leap of faith, put all my thoughts, hopes, concerns, worries and fears to God, and quit my job. Now I am going to attend Aveda for esthetician school and hopefully begin a new career!

With all these big changes in my life, working out and eating healthy has been my saving grace. My husband, unfortunately, has a high metabolism and can eat whatever he wants in whatever amount he wants, and doesn't gain a pound.....So it's difficult when he decides to bring home candy, cookies, sweets and other stuff that I want to have, but can't right now. Nonetheless, he is very supportive of my goal and verbally encourages me. Sometimes I wish he would take his health and fitness more seriously sometimes though, since he does have some physical / mental health problems himself due to his time in the military.

I look forward to making new virtual friends and to help keep each other accountable!
  • TNT52822
    Options
    txv2yebenrux.jpg
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    sherig_70 wrote: »
    Anyone interested in forming a little group with me where we hash out the tough days, celebrate small and big wins, and help each other move forward...

This is a great and very powerful idea. A group of peers really ramps up successes.

I find the MFP 'Groups' sections are kind of tough. My experience is they get a little buried and then become unused. Some groups are big and vibrant and ongoing. <Emotional Eating, Low Carber Daily Forum> etc. It looks like most groups are super small and sometimes just dry up.

'Discussions' and their threads have much longer lives. I find they can be too hard to follow and feel connected, randos show up and post, regulars post, the original post gets lost on tangents. etc. Then the threads just get buried with the next post that comes along <"Keep a Word, Drop a Word..." What????>

You posted this on a Discussion thread, and a lot of us are commenting (like me.) How to turn that into a small supportive group of like minded and ongoing connection is challenging here on MFP.

It can happen, it is happening, it is a great thing, good luck.

If you start a 'Group' about hashing out, celebrating and helping each other move forward, I'm in. I'll be there.

• sherig_70
    sherig_70 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    WELCOME EVERYONE!!! I'm a knucklehead, but how do you respond to people's posts on here...LOL! I seem to only be able to make a generic post to everyone.
  • Michaeldarlingtx
    Options
    This may be awkward for some, but I would be will to be part of a texting group. We could privately message a ring leader our phone numbers so they are not plastered on the WWW.
  • TNT52822
    Options
    I believe we are all thinking on the same level. We are all in wanting the same for all, encouragement, motivation, support; however, struggling to make the next move. This is all new to me. Do I continue to post what's happening to me?.. not an easy thing for me, but that's on me I can warm up to it. ( hence why I posted an end of day pic?

How do you communicate with each other collectively? I read each other's posts and at this point, with it small can connect to each and everyone's story. :smile: :)

Any guidance?

I liked what Chris said, it seemed he felt we were headed in the right direction. woohoo

So guess I will also start with this too.... is anyone trying the new Intermittent fasting???? I just started.

T~
  • MyBodModProject
    MyBodModProject Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have not tried intermittent fasting. It happens to me occasionally, on days when I am way too busy to stop and eat. I imagine starting out is really tough.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    CurvyEmmy wrote: »
    I’m not able to eat the “recommended” calories because my stomach has grown much larger so it needs to get bigger portions or snacks in order for it to feel full.

I have felt this way too. I'm not sure if it is real or I'm making excuses for myself. During periods where I'm gaining and have given up on portion control, after a certain point I consume a lot more bulk/calories and I don't feel any more full or satisfied.

When I'm losing and actively managing what I shove in my face, it takes awhile, but it seems I can feel good with a small portion. It makes me wonder if, like muscles, the volume of my stomach changes over time with either cramming it full, or consistently keeping it under 100% for a couple of months.
  • TNT52822
    Options
    I have not tried intermittent fasting. It happens to me occasionally, on days when I am way too busy to stop and eat. I imagine starting out is really tough.

Actually, it isn't bad at all, I start it at bed time and have it stop first thing in the morning that way breakfast is a little later. Not certain if I am achieving the true "intermittent fasting" that will provide results but I am trying it. :)
  • 2022lynne
    2022lynne Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hey I'd love for you to push me around!