I need help. Need to lose 80lbs and I have back issues.

Options
mechwd
mechwd Posts: 29 Member
edited December 2022 in Motivation and Support
So a couple of things are required to explain my situation.

1. I am a 41 year old, 6.1 foot male who hovers around 275ish give or take. I have had weight issues since about the age of 24 but really my bad experience with food started as a child as my military dad would not let me waste any food. I'm talking about taking uneaten sandwiches out of the trash so as to not waste them. So I grew up with a mindset that if it's on the plate, I eat it. That has carried through all the way to now. I have an unhealthy relationship with food. My wife doesn't really like to cook things outside of sweets so sadly we eat out a lot when she is sick, tired, or whatever. We eat out about twice a week. What also doesn't help is that I work from home and have a desk job so I sit all day.

2. I use to be active playing ice hockey until I started having severe back issues. I have been diagnosed with lumbar arthritis and have a disc bulge in my lower back. Needless to say, I don't do a lot of weightlifting. Almost anything can hurt me from sleeping weirdly to sitting for long periods of time, standing for long periods of time, etc. I use to go to PT but I moved and the new PT person here hasn't been that great. I want to get back into hockey but my muscles are the worst they have ever been. I get winded going up the stairs. My knees hurt and I just feel like I am 80 years old all day. For example, when I get on the treadmill, I can walk for about a half mile before the pain is too great and I have to get off.

3. I have Barretts Esophagus. This really such because I do need to watch what I eat pertaining to spicy and processed foods, but I do such a good job managing other things to prevent it that I have a bad habit of knowing what I can get away with. Like overeating if it isn't too close to bedtime, or knowing I can take some tums. As I want to get into exercise more I can't exercise for an hour or 2 after I eat. So that leaves me tired in the morning with no energy to exercise, or late at night when I am tired from work. I have tried to get my wife to make sure dinner is prepared later than normal so I can exercise, but that is spotty at best.

So, if you have made it this far sorry for the long text but I'm just at a point where I don't know what to do anymore and I don't have the motivation to do what I need to because of all the other stuff in life (work, kids, etc). I feel like I am alone in my journey but I know that's not the case. I just need some help. I always feel too tired to exercise, and along with my back and Barretts, it just seems all too hard.

Replies

• JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Dude, you can do it. There's always a way around your limitations. I'm 40 years old. I started in Feb.2022 weighing 388.6. Sore knees, digestive problems, sore lower back, constant muscle cramps. Started swimming laps at the pool and counting my calories religiously. Worked up to the Elliptical and now I'm running 5km a day three days one, one day off with strength training. I'm now down 138.8 pounds weighing 249.8 with just 14 more to go.

You can do it! You just gotta want it badly enough!
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other two. You can do it; of course you can. I just want to suggest finding another PT person. PT has been critical for my husband (with different back problems).
  • RunningJustIncase
    RunningJustIncase Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    How do i add you as a friend on here?!
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You can do it.

And one thing that will probably help is, don't rely on your wife for the cooking. Cook for yourself, and for her!

Men can cook too and cooking really helps with watching what you are eating. If you want more...vegetables...protein...less fat...or whatever fits into your diet, if you cook it, you control it. I can say that when my husband cooks, he almost never makes enough vegetables!

As you think about your eating, you can see what works for you. Are you a volume eater? (Only satisfied if you eat a LOT? You can add vegetables.) Do you really like protein? Focus on that.

One day at a time...
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    100% yes. My gf and I work opposite shifts so I constantly cook for myself. Pintrest is a great resource.
  • DiamndMnd
    DiamndMnd Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about eating out and eating unhealthy, maybe try batching your meals or meal prepping. Husband and I have been making food for the week on Sundays. Then our lunches (and sometimes dinners too) are good to go. No thinking involved. Grab and go and it's way nicer if you're tired after working, etc.

I can totally relate to not being physically in it to want to work out. I'd like to lose 20 pounds but I also have so issues I'm working thru that leave my body tired and too exhausted to work out, even if I am mentally there for it.

Take it a day at a time and remember, it's one meal at a time too. Every time you eat is a new chance to start over and make better choices!

Good luck & you got this!