Old time “newbie”

Options
Hey everyone, I’m back on MFP after a LONG road to recovery from an ED and some other healthy issues which have been contributing to some weight gain. Looking for some friends who can relate to compulsive eating habits, binging and purging and recovery. Currently learning to manage my food and intake in a mindful way (with the advice and supervision of my therapist and physician) and thought there might be some people who can relate. I created a new profile because the old one was too triggering. Feeling good about losing and looking for friends!

Also, a bit about my super powers: working mom of 2, happily committed, 4x marathoner, barre instructor and all health information technology trainer.

Replies

• FeastRepeat
    FeastRepeat Posts: 1,113 Member
    Options
    I am also an old time "newbie". I just returned to MFP about a week ago to track my food on occasion and to find a bit of community. I have battled compulsive and over/binge eating most of my adult life.

I have not filled out much in my profile since returning. I am a dad of one child and 3 dogs, married for ages, lifter, dog walker, and develop software. I am also well practiced and educated in the fitness arena. Although that does not make my eating issues go away (as you well know). I am working on myself still.. Therapy, health, spirit, etc..

Feel free to add me.
  • Fighting4anewlife
    Options
    I’m in my 5th year of ED recovery. I’m doing well except I’ve started binge eating 🥺 formerly diagnosed as Anorexia, binge/purge subtype, I fear I may have a binge eating disorder now 😭😭😭
    I have a therapist, psychiatrist, GI doc, endocrinologist, etc…but I refuse to go back on a meal plan 😝 so I don’t want to see a dietitian 🙃 it’s too traumatizing.
    My first year of recovery (2018-2019) was super hard. I gained a lot of weight, rapidly due to binge eating but I wanted to “do this on my own” (I’m a little stubborn 😝).
    My symptoms have improved a bit; my psychiatrist put me on Topomax to help with binge eating and it worked! But my symptoms sorta “come and go” when I’m under stress, etc. right now is one of those times 🥺 my therapist recommended a food diary so I created a new account (my old one was triggering and not recovery focused). I’d love to have more friends or just anyone to talk to ❤️
  • Hirgy03
    Hirgy03 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Welcome back. I'm just coming back again myself after a long time away. While I cannot relate to your specific issues, we all have our own 'demons' so to speak, so don't let that get you down. Sharing experiences like yours often empowers others, so thank you for being willing to put that out there.... its shows your strength. I hope you get your "newlife"!!!

I'm terrible with checking messages and all that, but whenever I do stop by I will definitely check in. I don't have facebook, so not sure how it works, but if you message me on this site and it somehow signals me, I will always try to respond and be supportive...... we all need help, some of us just aren't as good about asking for it.
  • rmadhok
    rmadhok Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just got back on MFP after ages, it is the one thing that kept me accountable. I love eating but eating has its effects and this is not how I wanna look, I want to change things, so I am back to maintaining my food diary. Please feel free to add me as a friend. We all need a support system.
  • Daryl_831
    Daryl_831 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I use to run myself. Hoping to getting back into it,
  • oneshrinkingsiren719
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I was recently diagnosed with EDNOS but I'm kind of winging it on my recovery since my insurance will not cover treatment because I'm not underweight. Also a returning newbie with a new profile.