Half marathon

Options
Hello, I’m beginning training for a 1/2 marathon coming up in May. This is my first one and I’m looking for any training tips, meal prep ideas or just general advice. Thanks 🥰
Tagged:

Replies

• Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Do some strength training/ cross training particularly for your core and posture like pilates so that your muscles get stretched out on alternate days from your long training runs and so that when you get tired from running your posture doesn’t go to h3ll and you don’t mess up your back.
    Also if you are doing this as part of a weight loss plan be very careful that you don’t consume more than you burn from running. Running doesn’t burn many more calories than walking the same distance - you just do it faster. More than likely you will only be burning up to 300 calories daily for most of your training until you get to the long runs at the very end where you might burn 500 or 600. If you are not used to running you tend to feel more tired and overcompensate by eating too much to “recover” or for “energy” while you train. Many people end up gaining rather than losing weight when training for marathons because they bulk up on carbs before long runs, drink stuff like gatorade or eat glucose gels and bars and jelly beans, none of which is necessary. stick to water on runs and a bannana and a glass of milk or a yogurt to recover from a big run. Eat what you would normally eat either to maintain or if you are trying to lose at a sensible pace to lose weight.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Half marathon is my favourite distance.

Are you following an actual training plan? (Hal Higdon has them for every level of runner free on his web site). The single most important training tip I can offer is to be consistent (you want to be running at least 3 x weekly, preferably 4), don't try to ramp up your training volume too quickly and, as it's your first half focus on finishing with a smile on your face as anything you do will be a personal best.

As far as nutrition goes I just stick to my regular diet (I usually get about 60% of my calories from carbs) until the later stages of the training plan when your long runs start getting longer when I'll start eating a bit more carbs on Fridays & Saturdays to fuel my Sunday longer run (even then it's not much of an increase).

If you can, find out which gels and/or electrolyte drink they offer on the course so you can train with them before the race - the last thing you want is digestive problems on race day. If you can't find out in advance be prepared to carry your own on race day (you don't need a lot of fuel during the race for a half but taking a gel every 35 or 40 minutes can help you maintain your energy levels).

Nothing new on race day, everything you eat and wear should be stuff that you've run with previously.

Have fun!
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    It’s been a while since I’ve run one, but I highly recommend a set training plan. Follow the plan. If it says easy pace, let yourself slow it down. You don’t need to go hard every run. Don’t get into that mind set, it’s a recipe for injury.

That and like @BrianSharpe said consistency is key, don’t miss your runs. If you need to repeat a week that’s ok, but don’t skip ahead or run distances further than scheduled. Bumping up mileage too soon can lead to injury.

Nutrition: you don’t really need to change much up in early training, but as you get into higher mileage, adding in gels (try to use what is used on the course) and making sure you have water stops on your route or carry water is important. I couldn’t get past the consistency of the gels so I tended to use Sport Beans. I also never really carb loaded, I would add a couple 100 cals per meal a few days prior to long runs or race days. It just made me feel better come race day. Whatever you plan to do, practice it, not just runs but food & supplements. Gastro issues are awful on race day.

Last thing I’ll advise is making sure you take test days. Cross training with weights or on bikes are great things, but overtraining isn’ta fun thing.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,681 Member
    Options
    I second the Hal Higdon plans. You can find them online at his website for free or buy an app or personalized training plan. Most HM plans are 12 weeks, so you have some time to get into a regular routine of running 4-5 days a week. A strong base will make for better training and an easier race.

As stated above, be sure to log your exercise and food. It is easy to overestimate the calories you burn on the shorter run days and you may underestimate them on the long days. Don't try to lose a lot of weight once you start training seriously. You need energy to fuel your runs.

Most people use gels in races that last longer than two hours. You should try them on your longer runs (over 90 minutes) to see which ones you like and which upset your stomach.

Bring your own gels if you plan to use them. Some races that provide them, don't have any until late in the race, which may be too late. Most recommend taking one every 45 minutes or so.

You will also want to practice drinking water every two miles or so, since that is the common distance for water tables at races. (Check to see if the race you are running has water available, since some have cut back on that in recent years due to Covid or for environmental reasons.)
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Recovery is as important as the training, get some protein into your body within 20mins of finishing your workout. It doesn't have to be a protein bar or shake, but it'll really aid your recovery.

Training plans are good but don't be wedded to it, find whatever works for you and go for it ... and definitely don't beat yourself up if you miss a run. That said, try and hit the long run milestones in your plan as there's no getting around having to do the distance.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My wife has done several 1/2 marathons and always used Hal Higdon plans. And yes, being consistent is pretty important...missing a beat here and there probably isn't a huge deal, but the last 1/2 my wife did she ended up collapsing on the course and taken to the hospital and held overnight. Having done several, she half assed her training and thought she could just power through having done several before that.