My Fitness Pal Premium

Options
For those who have the premium version of MFP, do you find it worth it? I am thinking about it but just wondering if there is a value to having it.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    There's no generic answer. If you need one or more of the features of premium, it's worth it. If you can get what you need from free MFP, that'll do fine. Or, if you're a person who's more likely to do a thing if you put money on the table, that may be relevant.

I lost weight just fine with free MFP, and maintained for some time the same way. I now have premium, and benefit from the flexibility in allocating exercise calories to macros in something other than the basic percentages - as one example. That's just me.

If you need automagic net carb tracking, more formal IF support, different calories/macros on different days, access to various workout or eating plans, bar code scanning - or any other premium features - then premium may be worth it for you.

I'm sure you see plenty of marketing links from MFP that tell you about premium features, or see the little lock icon on things (where you usually could click and learn more - I assume that's still the icon they use). Is it worth it to you? Only you can decide, IMO, honestly.

If there are things you find difficult or challenging in free MFP, describe those issues, and I'm sure some folks with premium will be able to say if premium would help.
  • mitch239
    mitch239 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Or, if you're a person who's more likely to do a thing if you put money on the table, that may be relevant.

100% This.

I find it much easier if I have a thing to lose, in this case money. I can afford it comfortably so if I lose it its not going to leave me in trouble, but who likes to lose, money? If I have money invested then I can absolutely keep to it much easier. This year I've decided to invest in myself, its one thing I haven't been doing so I'm happy to pay for the mfp premium even if I don't use any of the premium features.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Premium has some neat tools not available on the free version. It also frees you from seeing advertisements.

There is almost always a one-month free trial. If you haven't seen it yet, it will pop up soon. Why not do the one-month trial and see if it will be beneficial for YOU? Only you will know. A month might not be long enough to determine it; maybe you can find a way to get a 90 day trial. If you like it, buy it!
  • BOC57
    BOC57 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I had premium for awhile but stopped logging over a year ago. I tried coming back to the free version and found the ads distracting, and the ability to connect my Fitbit didn't seem to be an option.
    Clearly there have been a bunch of changes and I am finding it a little squirrelly to navigate. But I've got a database of foods that's about 10 years in the making, so clearly it's worth it to me and is an investment in my health that feels worthwhile. Definitely a personal choice.