Just keep hiking

Options

Replies

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you who shared your photos. Seeing them inspires me to get out more. Let's keep this thread going!
  • NaeNaeGarvey
    NaeNaeGarvey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is so awesome!!! One of my goals is to be able to hike some of our favorite parks, and a few new ones. Knee replacements make it a challenge anyway, but the added weight has been my excuse. I love the outdoors, and you have given me incentive to just get out there.
  • TamiVsTheTrail
    TamiVsTheTrail Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    @alteredsteve175 thanks! Comments like yours really encourage me on days where I need a push. I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures of other people too :)
  • TamiVsTheTrail
    Options
    @Fit2btied2016 that was crazy! Snowshoed out my door down to the river in the most incredible powder. I can't imagine how bad it was on the Coquihalla!
  • NaeNaeGarvey
    NaeNaeGarvey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    @NaeNaeGarvey does it help if you use poles? I really relied on them last year when my weight went way up, 30 pounds down now and I use them mostly on harder hikes. Tons of regular hikers rely on them.
    I have never used poles. We are usually walking dogs, but I may look into it. I had never really thought of that.

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @NaeNaeGarvey does it help if you use poles? I really relied on them last year when my weight went way up, 30 pounds down now and I use them mostly on harder hikes. Tons of regular hikers rely on them.
    I have never used poles. We are usually walking dogs, but I may look into it. I had never really thought of that.

Another recommendation for hiking poles here. I'm a seasoned citizen and I use them regularly. Takes some stress off your hips and knees. They also help with balance and stability in steep or rugged terrain. I sometimes forget them and I regret it every time.

I walk and hike with my dog whenever I can. She is trained off leash, so I usually let her run. I just stow the hiking poles if I need a free hand when I have to leash her.
  • TamiVsTheTrail
    Options
    @Fit2btied2016 How scary! I'm really sorry to hear about that driver, I really hope he survived. I've opened that door with police standing to give the news and wouldn't wish that upon anyone.

Kayaking is on my to do list, I just seem to keep bumping it down. Mostly looking for people who want to go with me, other than the river where I live. I've been invited to do the West Coast Trail and think I'll put it on my list for next year. This year I'm doing Panorama Ridge, really looking forward to that. I'm not fast but I move at a pretty average pace. If AllTrails says it a trail takes 6 hours, I generally come in about 5.5 hours.
    Today it's pouring and I'm hiking tomorrow in the rain so it's a strength training day for me.
  • TamiVsTheTrail
    Options
    @SuzanneC1l9zz WOW! Beautiful place to hike and recharge. Thanks for sharing.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    @TamiVsTheTrail the best part is that it's actually inside city limits, about 12 minutes' drive from my house!
  • TamiVsTheTrail
    Options
    @geodrone I was in a similar situation. The friend I used to hike with just lost interest and only wanted to do the occasional one, those ones became shorter and shorter. We used to go out at dawn and hike at least 15K and it was a lot of fun. My husband isn't a huge hiker but he comes out with me at least once a week, I'm working on building him up to harder ones but right now he's comfortable with about 5 - 6KM so I go a lot on my own. It took me awhile to get used to the solo hikes but I meet so many incredible people that I'm never really alone and I love being out there. I hope you dust off your boots and get back out there!
  • TamiVsTheTrail
    Options
    gq2vn236jndn.jpg
    whmefg6lwkzt.jpg
    wus6dzdumz3w.jpg

Three very wet hikes completed, which brings me to 10/150 for the year. I'm having a lot of fun with this goal and picked up a few people that want to join me on some of the hikes. Not the pouring rain, it's freaking freezing out here but the nice weather, it's beautiful out here ones.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!