Calorie deficit for a shorty - help please!

Options
Coral_Leigh
Coral_Leigh Posts: 14 Member
edited January 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
I’m counting calories & set my goal to 1,200 per day in order to achieve weight loss. I’m 5 foot 0 inches (152cm) so I feel like 1,200 is a realistic goal for me, but have read that it’s dangerous to eat less than this.

Because I’m “height challenged” (haha!) I’m hoping that this rule applies to women of average height, and therefore my danger zone would be less than this?

Any fellow shorties out there feel my pain? Any tips or advice?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Unfortunately, yeah, some short women do need to eat a low amount of calories to lose weight. It's not always the case though, so don't assume it is necessarily so for you.

You don't mention your current weight, and the weight loss rate you selected, nor how active you are (daily life + exercise). That also plays a role in how appropriate or dangerous 1200 calories could be.

How much experience do you have counting calories? Any idea of how many calories you need to maintain your bodyweight, or any other previous data about how many calories your body burns?
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Eating below 1,200 is considered unwise for various reasons, not least you are at risk of not getting vital vitamins and nutrients if you don’t eat enough. Eating too little can also lead to nasty side effects including loss of muscle (your heart is a muscle), hair loss, less energy so less calories expended moving around etc.

But - do some short and small people need to eat less than 1,200 to lose? I have seen posts from members on MFP who say they cannot lose if they eat more than 1,200, so yes there will be some statistical outliers who need less food.

My advice as a fellow shorty (5’3) is to choose a slower rate of loss. You will get more calories to eat each day, you can ensure you stay in excellent health by eating a wide variety of food, and do remember to eat some exercise calories on top of your usual daily allowance. I personally lost weight eating a LOT more than 1,200 - you might be pleasantly surprised how you can lose weight eating just a bit more. As a smaller person you will need to be really honest and exact with your logging, as the odd extra 100 calories can easily wipe out a planned deficit if you’re not careful.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    1,200 is fine for you due to your stats. The issues with small women and needing to be very low cal to lose is that you'll have a small deficit and the fat will come off slowly so you'll need to be patient. Low cal necessitates proper food choices
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Leitchi and Claireychn074 are right.

I'd add this: The real test of safety/sustainability is your actual loss rate on a given calorie level, averaged over 4-6 weeks eating that amount. (Look at whole menstrual cycles of that applies to you.)

Losing at most 0.5%-1% of current body weight per week is sustainable for most people, with a bias toward the lower end of that if not much total weight to lose (i.e. not worrisomely obese).

If you seem to be losing weight very fast after the first week or so, and begin to feel fatigued or weak for otherwise unexplained reasons, eat more. Otherwise, stick it out for the 4-6 weeks (or one full cycle). After that, adjust calorie intake based on results.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I know how frustrating it can be, but slow and steady is defo better. Have you got a food scale? You need to measure absolutely everything and just be patient - the weight WILL come off. You need to be healthy and look after yourself, so make sure you get plenty of protein, get your veggies in and try to incorporate foods you really like so it doesn’t feel like a chore. Restrictive eating at 800 cals (I’m glad you aren’t doing that again!) will often to lead to a rebound and weight gain. It’s demoralising and can set up a yo yo situation. Think of this as a slow and steady process rather than a sprint, and good luck!
  • Coral_Leigh
    Options
    Thank you. Yes I’ve got scales & pretty good at tracking accurately. Also taking a multivitamin and trying to get better with adding more veggies into my day
  • PixieKazza
    PixieKazza Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have the height problem, but I'm shorter! The only way I have lost weight is keep to a calorie deficit - eating sensibly / healthily around 1200 cals, and walking / exercising a lot. Then keeping it off is difficult as pretty much a 'normal' diet for most people puts me way over calories. It's frustrating and I just get fed up of having to say 'no' to treats all the time. My fitbit reckons if I do nothing apart from sitting at my desk and wandering round the house / office, I use around 1000 cals per day. It is hard for us dinky folk. Good luck! I'm trying to lose weight again after repeated illness led to inactivity for a few months.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hey - have you used a TDEE calculator (using Sedentary) and getting an estimate of your maintenance level calories?

It might be ~1500 or so.....and then yeah, you don't have much wiggle room since you are short. I'm 5'3" and also didn't have much wiggle room between my maintenance (which was ~1600, sedentary) and my BMR to cut out.

I just had to go slow/steady. Cutting out 100-150 calories each day is doable and maintainable for the time of actively losing weight. Just means you have to make sure you are as accurate as you can be (although I wasn't crazy about that) with what you are consuming and burning since your deficit might get completely squashed if you mis-measured how much mayo you put on a sandwich. LOL.

Also focus on getting more steps in just in general. I did my intentional workouts but made sure to go for a walk at least every day and I'd choose to park farther away/take the steps when the options was available just to get more overall activity in. Can help keep a good buffer going.

Just have to focus on a much slower rate of loss than some others may be able to do.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and weigh about the same as you, 157 (which is big for a short gal).

In my early 40's I trained a lot and found some numbers that worked for me, putting me in a healthy BMI range until I got sick and gave up (another story for another day).

Last January I started over at 200 pounds, I'm currently down to 157.

I've found that I can lose at 1310. All of the calculators put me at or below 1200 for my height to lose a pound a week. My job is rather sedentary so any exercise I get is intentional. I do eat back a portion of exercise calories.

For cardio if possible I suggest a Garmin / Apple watch / Fitbit / Power meter (Biking) if they are available to you. This will not however be very accurate for lifting or other non-cardio exercises.

THIS IS MY PERSON PLAN IT IS NOT MEANT TO BE UNIVERSAL, but from one short girl to another I thought it might help.

My base calories are set at 1310, higher protein, not many sweets (because if I eat them I crave them, not that they are bad) then I add exercise calories as follows:

Through years of monitoring, I've found that even when I'm exercising vigorously (racing), I burn about 10 calories per minute. Less vigorous = fewer calories burned. MFP however will give me way over that especially for a "vigorous 20+mph bicycling". If I followed MFP numbers (made for the average Joe) I'd never lose.

For a 45 minute weight session, I add 100 cals to my day. If I use my Garmin (HR based) to measure calories burned during lifting, I tend to get around 235 cals, but isn't a cardio activity and doesn't burn calories based on heart rate algorithms.

For cardio I use my Garmin (- 100 per hour session) That 100 is just a number that I came up with through experimentation that works for me. If I burn more than 1000 calories (long ride days), I don't worry about eating it all back, I'll usually only eat back 50-75% over 2 days.

That extra cushion also allows for inaccuracies in logging food I don't prepare like the occasional pizza and beer. Those days are important in my world.

Good luck!
  • Coral_Leigh
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hey - have you used a TDEE calculator (using Sedentary) and getting an estimate of your maintenance level calories?

It might be ~1500 or so.....and then yeah, you don't have much wiggle room since you are short. I'm 5'3" and also didn't have much wiggle room between my maintenance (which was ~1600, sedentary) and my BMR to cut out.

Yes, and to achieve weight loss of 19kg (42 pounds) which would put me at my goal weight of 50kg (110 pounds) in 1.19 years I would need to be on 1,350 calories. Once I reach my goal weight, it’s calculated my TDEE will be 1,561. This helps with understanding how I’ve become overweight in the first place - I feel like I don’t eat a lot compared to other people, but I need to focus on what’s appropriate for my body size to maintain a healthy weight.

I'm 5'1" and weigh about the same as you, 157 (which is big for a short gal).

In my early 40's I trained a lot and found some numbers that worked for me, putting me in a healthy BMI range until I got sick and gave up (another story for another day).

Last January I started over at 200 pounds, I'm currently down to 157.

I've found that I can lose at 1310. All of the calculators put me at or below 1200 for my height to lose a pound a week. My job is rather sedentary so any exercise I get is intentional. I do eat back a portion of exercise calories.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It’s nice to know that there are others out there with the same challenges as me. I want to lose weight but don’t want to be unhealthy. So much to balance! Congrats on your weight loss, that’s amazing!
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm average height, 5'6", but thought I'd tell you that at least for me the 1200 calories a day was not good for me. I was diligent about inputting the calories accurately. I ended up feeling great initially and so proud I was losing weight, but it started coming off at a 2-3 pounds per week rate. I started losing hair and the muscle tone in my arms was disappearing. I obviously don't know about a rule that shorter women need to cut calories more drastically than others. But I now tend to recommend to my friends (only if they ask my opinion, I'm no know-it-all) that they start with 1300-1350 to see how it goes. You can always cut down to 1200 calories if you don't feel you're losing weight at the rate you want to.
  • Coral_Leigh
    Options
    I'm average height, 5'6", but thought I'd tell you that at least for me the 1200 calories a day was not good for me. I was diligent about inputting the calories accurately. I ended up feeling great initially and so proud I was losing weight, but it started coming off at a 2-3 pounds per week rate. I started losing hair and the muscle tone in my arms was disappearing. I obviously don't know about a rule that shorter women need to cut calories more drastically than others. But I now tend to recommend to my friends (only if they ask my opinion, I'm no know-it-all) that they start with 1300-1350 to see how it goes. You can always cut down to 1200 calories if you don't feel you're losing weight at the rate you want to.

Thanks for sharing your experience - I’ll be sure to watch out for those symptoms, and keep an eye on rate of weight loss. 6” height difference makes a massive difference to our energy requirements - I’m far below average, so the generic advice doesn’t apply for my situation. It’s quite frustrating not being able to eat like an average person, but there are worse things in life, gotta play the cards your dealt.

I’ve set my calorie goal to 1,350 now, so hopefully I’ll continue to see results. Will see how it goes & adjust as required.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I’m 5’ and don’t lose weight eating more than 1200-1250. My maintenance is about 1450 with about 40 lbs to lose. It is so slow as well, about 2 lbs a month.

When I was at a lower weight I maintained at around 1200, and that was being active.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    All of these personal weights and calories consumed are purely anecdotal as inaccurate calorie counting and individual NEAT will greatly sway numbers. Bottom line is if no loss at X calories then you need to go lower no matter what others say is good\bad\dangerous.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    All of these personal weights and calories consumed are purely anecdotal as inaccurate calorie counting and individual NEAT will greatly sway numbers. Bottom line is if no loss at X calories then you need to go lower no matter what others say is good\bad\dangerous.

Or, if no loss at X calories if X calories are generally viewed as dangerous, consider these possibilities:

1) is the individual being accurate with calorie counting?
    2) should individual see doctor to check for health issues that are complicating weight loss?
    3) are individual's weight goals unrealistic or unhealthy?
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options

Or, if no loss at X calories if X calories are generally viewed as dangerous, consider these possibilities:

2) should individual see doctor to check for health issues that are complicating weight loss?
    While this can be correct, what many consider dangerous really isn’t. Those are generally bigger people or more active people that just can’t get their heads around a 1,200 per day diet (1,200 actual). The macros need to allow for enough protein, however.

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options

While this can be correct, what many consider dangerous really isn’t. Those are generally bigger people or more active people that just can’t get their heads around a 1,200 per day diet (1,200 actual). The macros need to allow for enough protein, however.

While I don't often agree with you, in this case you're right. What is "dangerous" will vary person to person. There is nothing magical about 1200 calories, that's a number they pulled out of the air based off the "average" person (and there is no such thing as the average person)
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I share in your struggles at 5’1 and 150lbs. I have lost 20lbs successfully twice at 1200 and it took 4-6mo each time. The hard thing for me is to keep counting cals when I’ve gotten comfortable at a lower weight then I let all my overeating habits creep back in and I’m nearly back where I started