In a calorie deficit, scale isn't moving

Options
Right after Christmas, I started lifting 5X a week (from 3X.)

I have been in a 500+ calorie deficit or more every day for the last three weeks (I'm taking what my Apple Watch says I'm burning and taking 15% off of that for my burn)

I weighed 348 lbs the day after Christmas. I weighed in today and the scale hasn't budged.

What's going on here??

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    You aren’t in a deficit. Don’t rely on apps and devices to give correct information
  • damage_inc74
    damage_inc74 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How would you suggest I get my info ? I have a food scale and am keeping track that way. I don’t know how else to track what I burn I know the trackers aren’t 100% accurate. I’ve read to take 15% off what they claim you burn..
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Could be some water retention, but could also be you actually aren't in a deficit.

Are you logging as accurately as you can (without being crazy)? .. and are you sure your Apple watch is correct?

You gotta just start somewhere, then make adjustments after a few weeks of data. As long as you think you are fairly accurate with your calorie consumption and burn, then the estimate of your deficit was simply incorrect and you need to adjust.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,532 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Curious, what setting did you choose for MFP for your regular activity level? Is that accurate? And how many calories are you adding to that for all exercise? I wonder if there might be some double counting going on.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    If after 4 weeks no change or too little change you need to lower your calories. At your weight you can run a big deficit. Shoot for 2,000 a day or 14,000 per week. You most likely got to that weight because of poor food choices. You’ll need to prioritize lean protein, veggies and MINIMUMIZE ultra processed carbs and alcohol.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

I have been in a 500+ calorie deficit or more every day for the last three weeks (I'm taking what my Apple Watch says I'm burning and taking 15% off of that for my burn)

I weighed 348 lbs the day after Christmas. I weighed in today and the scale hasn't budged.

What's going on here??
    As others have said: you aren't in an energy deficit is the most likely answer. Do not rely on "calculators" to determine anything. These are estimates, guesses, nothing more. They do provide a reasonable starting point, but you do not need them. They are more useful for population studies and policy preparations for public health than for individuals.

The best you can do is reduce your intake 500 kcal from your initial intake and keep it up for about one month. If the scale does not move at all, reduce your intake by another 500 kcal and continue for one month and see what happens... until the scale starts to move. If and when it starts to move, look at the weight reduction. If it is more than one kg a week, you are going too fast, and need to increase your intake a bit, say 250 kcal or so. Do it for one month, see what happens.

More than anything, weight loss is a game of patience.

As for exercise, it is great to do some, because it is good for your health. For your weight loss, not so much, unless you invest several hours a day, which is almost certainly something you cannot do very often and/or for very long. If you enjoy it, by all means.

One of the problems in weight loss, is that people completely underestimate their energy intake. Your best bet is to buy a food scale and use it.

Success, you CAN do it. Everybody can, it is just a matter of learning some really simple things and then applying them. Once you are on track, you only need patience until you are where you want to be. Keep in mind that you will NEVER be able to go back to eating "normally": that is what made you fat in the first place.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

What's going on here??

Your device is giving you an estimate of your daily calorie expenditure and that's all it is. If the scale hasn't budged, your device is overestimating and you're not in a calorie deficit. Take the calories you're consuming now and cut from there.

My Garmin usually gives me around 3200-3300 total calorie expenditure per day on average...in reality it's more like 2800.
  • TexasBlaze
    TexasBlaze Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Definitely food scale and remember to include EVERYTHING you consume. From ketchup to your coffee creamer. I know we all hate to hear it, but I start my morning off with at least two bottles of water. I don’t go crazy with it after that, but I can definitely tell after two days without water.
    I never eat back my calories…. My treadmill and my Fitbit are pretty close in calculations….. but I just figure it as quicker weight loss, or maybe a yogurt for a nighttime treat.

I just got my Apple Watch for Christmas and will actually use it on the treadmill tonight. I still will not eat back my exercise calories.

Good luck and Congratulations for taking the step to be a healthier you!
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    TexasBlaze wrote: »
    I still will not eat back my exercise calories.
    It's what I (don't) do either. Exercise actually consumes so few calories, I think it is better to see the additional loss as a windfall, IF it actually ever shows up on the scale in the first place.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm going to implicitly agree with some other posters, but phrase the explanation in a different way. The probable conclusion is the same: If you've been doing the same regimen (exercise and eating) for 4-6 weeks (and are male), and haven't lost any weight, the more probable explanation is that you're not eating at a deficit.

Here's the key thing: A calculator (like MFP) or fitness tracker (like your Apple watch), in combination with your food logging - that's not what tells you whether you're in a calorie deficit, or how big that calorie deficit is. Your actual weight loss rate, averaged over that 4-6 weeks, tells you what your calorie deficit is. It's starting to look like your current calorie deficit is zero, sadly. Use that information to guide you going forward.

It kind of doesn't matter whether the problem is on the food logging side or the calorie needs estimating side, in practice. As long as you log consistently (same methods of measuring/estimating intake and exercise), you can use your average loss rate over a period of weeks to fine tune your calorie intake.

If you are set up to lose weight very slowly, like half a pound a week, it's possible that water fluctuations could distort your results for a whole month, maybe more. If set for a pound a week or so loss rate, it's time to adjust your calories eaten downward, or your activities (daily life or exercise) upward.

As an aside:

Letting exercise calories increase deficit is a viable strategy during weight loss, as long as it doesn't result in losing weight faster than sensible (for sustainability or health risk). I disagree with the idea that exercise universally isn't a meaningful amount of calories (when stated as a generality). It's not unusual for mine to be 10%-25% of my TDEE, which seems fairly significant to me, and I'm not any kind of super athlete. (I'm a li'l ol' lady who bikes and rows regularly for fun, basically.)

One thing to think about, in picking a strategy: Sooner or later, each of us hopes to reach weight maintenance. Sooner or later, we're maybe going to need to have some handle on the magnitude of our exercise calories, because they'll vary over the course of life. Personally, I liked getting an understanding of that during weight loss - with that cushion of a deficit as a safety net for mistakes - rather than waiting to figure it out during maintenance.

Maintenance has enough inherent challenges of its own, IMO. I've been in maintenance for around 7 years now: Sure enough, exercise varies. I'm still maintaining. It may work differently for others, who knows, but that's how it works for me. I've always estimated my exercise calories carefully and conservatively, and have always eaten them back - lost as expected (once I had personal experience data to go on) and maintain as expected, too. Different methods work for different people, though.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    On your Apple Watch, are you looking at your Active Calories, or the total Calories for the day? 15% off the total can a relatively small deficit.

I use a Fitbit now, I find the integration much better. But when I used my Apple Watch I didn’t have it paired to MFP. I logged HALF of the Active calories in MFP and ate those, and I lost on schedule.

Good luck! You may be retaining a bit of water from the lifting, but I would have expected most of that to have normalized by now.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,403 Member
    Options
    I agree that exercise consumes far more than "so few" calories. It can consume quite a lot. It's also easy to eat back MORE than they burn.

A recent example: My calorie budget before any activity (as if I don't get out of bed) is set to 1771. It's not the number I got from the set-up, but close. I'm weird, and I like palindromes. After activity, as measured by a device I wear on my wrist made by Garmin, my calorie goals the last seven days were 2170, 2121, 2149, 2358, 2122, 2228, and 2267. That's an additional 350 to 587 calories; an increase of 20% to 33%. To be sure, this isn't just exercise it's movement in general.

I can't do much exercise right now as I am recovering from an injury. My "exercise" consists of walking, and I can't really walk all that far. Yesterday was a very long walk compared to what I've done lately - about 5K. I burned 287 calories. The day before it was 230 calories, and 337 a couple days before that. If I have a goal to lose a half pound per week, that's a 250 calorie deficit. My very mild exercise would double that deficit. For someone with ten to 20 pounds to lose, a deficit of 250 calories per day is safe.

I always eat back most of my exercise calories. I love food. I have my base goal set to a level that accommodates me eating back exercise calories on the days I exercise. If I go paddling, I burn a lot, and then I can eat more tacos. If I go diving, I burn a LOT of calories, and I can eat all kinds of things.

The program is designed to set the base goal not to include intentional exercise then eat back exercise. A reasonable alternative IF you do a fairly steady amount of exercise every week of every year is to do some trial and error to set your base goal to include exercise, and always eat the same amount. Some days you may feel overfull, and other days you may be hungry. I switch it up.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,532 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    It kind of doesn't matter whether the problem is on the food logging side or the calorie needs estimating side, in practice. As long as you log consistently (same methods of measuring/estimating intake and exercise), you can use your average loss rate over a period of weeks to fine tune your calorie intake.
    I get your point. However, I think there's merit in first identifying if the estimation method of food logging and/or exercise tracking are wrong. If either are wrong, and they are corrected, that will be better long term. If they are both fairly correct, then yes I agree the rate of loss over 4+ weeks will then inform where OP stands relative to the statistical assumptions of the TDEE calculation and exercise tracking.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    some harsh truth: lifting would have little to no impact on weight loss. you are not burning many calories this way. people saying its exercise causing retention, or to wait 6 weeks...etc No. at your weight, if you were really in a deficit you should be seeing an decrease on the scale in the first week and it should be significant at your weight. and weight fluctuations shouldn't impact you too much yet. obese people have a very skewed perception of how much they are actually eating in a day. this is how we become obese and stay obese.
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The only thing that I'm reading in your post that matters significantly for weight loss is "500 calorie daily deficit for 3 weeks." With your stats and that deficit, the scale most definitely should move. Since it hasn't, the most likely reason is that your deficit is not what you think it is.

How are you calculating your daily caloric needs?

How are you determining caloric values for everything you consume?

Are you using a food scale and measuring and logging EVERY thing you eat or drink?

Weight lifting burns very few calories as compared with other forms of exercise. Are you giving yourself extra calories to eat because you are lifting? How many?
  • autobahn66
    autobahn66 Posts: 59 Member
    Options

What's going on here??

Have I become confused? Everyone in this thread is acting like there is some long plateau here and that there must be no caloric deficit.

It hasn't even been three weeks: 18 days since Christmas.

In my book that is too short a time to see significant changes, particularly given the relatively modest deficit of 500/3500 (compared to TDEE).

At this deficit, you might see about a pound a week off - so looking at a maximum of 3lbs of actual weight loss: that could totally be masked by other factors. (My daily variability of weight is 2-3lbs at 220lbs)