chris_in_cal Posts: 2,350 Member
    Options
    sbelletti wrote: »
    Good luck!

This is a really solid reply, thanks @sbelletti
  • 70sthin
    70sthin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is if you don’t get what you want you didn’t want it bad enough. This is true for fitness and diet. Unless you have some sort of medical issue the only roadblock is between your ears. When you want change bad enough you’ll make it happen. If you don’t, you won’t.

Now get out there and get cracking’

That is so true! I've got a roadblock between my ears big time. I want to be less lazy, but then I think, "I'm a healthy weight and have never been overweight." In the past few months I've noticed that my pants are tighter and I really don't want to buy bigger clothes, which is making me want to change my ways. The changes I've made so far are really small, like switching to monk fruit sugar or Stevia in my coffee, and eating string beans and mustard or hummus instead of pita chips for a snack.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    It's great that you're trying out different foods when you snack and have coffee! Small steps lead to big strides. My first thought was that depression/bipolar depression/clinical depression - they are all treatable with medication, counseling, a good sleep routine, getting outside to take walks. The challenge is that when you're depressed, the last thing you want to do is make an appointment with a psychiatrist or general physician, drag yourself out of bed, get dressed, get in the car, wait in the waiting room. But since you've been able to switch to Stevia, I'd bet you can pick up a phone and make either a doctor or a counseling appointment, amirite? I've had to do that. It's all helped me and now I can access motivating thoughts and change my (old) lazy behaviors. If you have enough money to invest in yourself, get yourself to a running store and be professionally fitted for a good pair of tennis shoes. The next day, take a 15 minute walk around your neighborhood or a local park. When you get home, celebrate your accomplishment somehow. I swear, if you address depression and pretend to be motivated, you'll actually be motivated within a couple of weeks. Good luck!
  • susandoll16
    susandoll16 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have found I started with just one thing, I chose to start drinking more water...I am actually getting my 8+ glasses in everyday for last full week. I am writing everybite and restarted a walk a day. I am not doing a long walk, but it is activity! I am very proud of myself as I was eating junk everyday, sitting on couch ALL day everyday before. I don/t know how long it will last but I am happier because I have accomplished something. Hope this helps and yes, i am also being treated for depression but that is not new.
  • 70sthin
    Options
    @kmcintosh1988 you are right that losing weight is the one thing you can do for yourself. It's been a struggle and you are correct in that it is not easy. I also eat too much in the evening. I also eat when I bored on the weekends. Both are habits I need to get under control.
  • 70sthin
    Options
    @DebbsSeattle your story is an inspiration. It's good to hear that your health issues are not as bad now that you switched up your diet. I've been eating plant based meals moat days except for the weekly pizza night my boyfriend and I do. Reducing sugar and cream in coffee is a good idea. Sometimes I go all day just drinking coffee with truvia and sugar free Coffee Mate. I eat like a pig at supper though. I need to break that habit. I hope your husband gets better too and that the two of you continue to lose weight and feel better.

Part of my problem is that I moved to the PNW and don't have many friends yet. I'd rather go for a hike or walk with a friend than alone, but I should probably suck it up and hike solo. Also, my last job was very physically demanding as was my lifestyle, but my new job is a lot of sitting.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    70sthin wrote: »
    @DebbsSeattle your story is an inspiration. It's good to hear that your health issues are not as bad now that you switched up your diet. I've been eating plant based meals moat days except for the weekly pizza night my boyfriend and I do. Reducing sugar and cream in coffee is a good idea. Sometimes I go all day just drinking coffee with truvia and sugar free Coffee Mate. I eat like a pig at supper though. I need to break that habit. I hope your husband gets better too and that the two of you continue to lose weight and feel better.

Part of my problem is that I moved to the PNW and don't have many friends yet. I'd rather go for a hike or walk with a friend than alone, but I should probably suck it up and hike solo. Also, my last job was very physically demanding as was my lifestyle, but my new job is a lot of sitting.

That's (the bolded) quite a common experience, including some (like me) having that experience simply from weight loss, without major changes in range of foods eaten or exercise levels. I went from high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, pretty routine pain (from arthritis and torn meniscus) to solidly normal lipids and blood pressure, and relatively infrequent discomfort (rarely pain) along the road to goal weight. I didn't even need to get all the way there to begin to see benefits.

I'm not dissing eating lots of plants, because I do think that's a good choice, health-wise; and I absolutely think exercise is a great thing for health and quality of life in other ways. But just weight loss on its own can have major benefits, potentially.

One tiny worry, maybe misplaced: It sounds like you're new to eating more plants, so I'm hoping you're able to combine that with keeping your daily protein at reasonable levels. Protein is important for health and even more so when we're losing weight. I'm also not dissing plant-based eating: I've been vegetarian for 48+ years now myself. Sadly, I've seen some friends not realize the implication of protein needs and have some struggles as a consequence. It's very doable, it just takes a little attention, especially when new to it. If you haven't run across it yet, this is a great site for information about nutrition and plant-based eating:

https://veganhealth.org/

That site can be useful info even for people that aren't fully vegan or vegetarian, but are shifting to eating more plants. Unlike some vegan advocacy sites, this one is solidly science-based: The contributors are registered dietitians who are vegan, and it doesn't sell supplements or anything of that sort.

Also, FWIW, I didn't used to do it, but I've come to really enjoy solo biking and such, though I'm an older woman out alone. Just starting can pave a path to a habit. Also, you could look for local clubs or groups (meet-ups or whatever) that do outdoor things, maybe, as a way to make some friends. I've met a lot of friends through my rowing club, some through my YMCA classes in the past (we do things outside the Y together) and this past summer started doing a monthly group bike ride for women led by people from a great local bike shop. Very fun!

Best wishes!
  • hugsareawesome
    hugsareawesome Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks to Amanda Carneiros course its not about motivation for me I make appointment with myself 3 days a week I pick up at home dumbells for past couple of months my focus is to build muscle using compound movements her course is exceptional. No cardio no motivation required. Muscle burns more energy than fat that's why it's been so hard all this time for me and why im making steady progress. Focus on progressive overload so every week I either add 0.5kg or more reps in an 8-12 rep range I just tick the box on my A4 accounting ting analysis book appointment complete like doing the laundry. Increase protein and focus on whole foods. Leangains is an essential read maybe further on down the line.
    im telling you lifting up those dumbells 3 times a week lifts your mood start small and build up. Atomic habits audio book can help you start small . You got this you had the courage to post on here amazing
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 695 Member
    Options

I hike/run on my own often. A good audio book and I'm good to go for hours. Give it a try and see how you go.

I found it helpful to ditch the moralising. My weight or what I eat does not make me 'bad', it's just food so there's no point beating myself up about it. It was really only after I had that revelation that I started making any progress. The key thing for me has always been health rather than weight, I just don't care that much about what size trousers I wear, I do care about what I can do. I like hiking up those hills. So going after fitness goals drives the weight loss, rather than the other way.

I have to cultivate discipline rather than motivation. I don't always want to work out/eat the things I should in the same way I don't want to clean the bathroom. But it doesn't matter, still have to get on with it. The decision has been made. There is no try, only do or do not do.

(That is not meant to sound harsh, left to my own devices I would spend all my free time in bed eating biscuits. So have had to cultivate ways round being fundamentally bone idle!)
  • scoutmom1981
    scoutmom1981 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    As a mental health therapist I would first recommend to work on your underlying depression issues. Depression is a self feeding disorder. It convinces your brain to do things that increase your depression. Amazingly there are some huge overlaps in things that help depression that will also help in your weight loss (or laziness) goals. I tell my patients to start with a super small step. Focusing on the huge overall picture sets us up for failure as the end goals seem super far away.
  • 70sthin
    Options
    Depression is a self feeding disorder. It convinces your brain to do things that increase your depression. Amazingly there are some huge overlaps in things that help depression that will also help in your weight loss (or laziness) goals.
    I've never thought about that. You are right. That first step is hard. I've been doing little things/taking small steps. It's easy to fall back into laziness.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    I do care about what I can do….. So going after fitness goals drives the weight loss, rather than the other way.

Yes! Yes! Yes!!!!!

After the initial weight loss, my perception of what I could do shifted to …. What can’t I do? What do I want to do? What can I do to get there?

As daft as it sounds, after years of being the obese chick hiding in the back corner of yoga classes, I desperately wanted to do arm balances like the folks in the front of the class. (Everyone was in front of me, lol. Back of class, hiding, remember?)

The only way to do that was to build upper body strength. I had zero.

How to do that? I found a woman willing to train me in powerlifting, and darned if I didn’t enjoy that, too!

I’ll never lift like some of the impressive women here, but what I do choose to do did indeed build upper body strength, and not only did I get those arm balances, I reshaped my body.

…..going after fitness goals drives the weight loss, rather than the other way. . Truth!!!!!
  • melnorwich
    melnorwich Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Other posters have given really good advice, but I thought I would throw in one personal experience re: exercise: I didn't have any interest in it until I had already lost some weight.

Darn good advice on exercise. I walked a little today. Not sure how/if I will get into that routine, but I wish I was still outside walking. I've cut back on my food intake the past few days and already feel like I have more energy. I hope I don't fall into old habits. Your words are encouraging though. Thank you ❤️

I believe in you even if we've never met. Don't beat yourself up about not having done stuff. It doesn't matter that you haven't joined a gym or feel lazy sometimes. Maybe, it would help to focus on the small things that you have done. Getting started is about building routine and momentum. That might mean just putting your trainers on and walking slowly for half a minute. Lifestyle changes will follow if you give yourself the confidence and pride in these small wins. (⁠ ⁠˘⁠ ⁠³⁠˘⁠)⁠♥
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    There is some research that suggests that movement helps with depression. I know when I'm down that running really makes me happy. It seems to release 'happy hormones' and so I've looked forward to my running sessions.
    Is there something you could imagine doing? Do you live in an interesting area where it's worth going outside? Take phone along and tell yourself to find 3 interesting motives for a 15 minutes from home blog, go geocaching, play pokemon go if that's still a thing, tell yourself you want to view down onto town from that one hill outside of town once day and work on it. Just find a reason to get up and get out. Make it a habit like brushing teeth and eating. Having some followers, e.g. with a blog/twitter, competition (pokemon go, etc) or a goal can really help here.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,563 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Everything @yirara says

And yes, PoGo still a thing. Our town was mobbed with players for the Larvitar Community Day yesterday.

Between walking the dog and playing PoGo, I easily get 15-20,000 steps a day.

My dirty little weight loss secret lol. No apple cider vinegar involved.

mb6obudwrndv.jpeg

Cool! Yeah, back in the days I walked like crazy, getting similar numbers of steps in. Then I moved to a town where I could access several special spawn spots right from my livingroom, and then it got boring pretty quickly.

But yeah, TO, find a reason to go out. I don't mean to lose weight because motivation for that can be difficult as you found out. Find something that you enjoy and that you look forward to doing.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Lol. My husband submitted new pokestops and both were accepted, so we have two within range, too. I bet “friends” wonder why they keep getting a dog park and a pool. I quit playing for a couple of years because the grinding was getting me down.

Just started again when I was overseas and bored home alone during the day.

If you need “happy”, something about the flashing graphics and such will sure light up the OCD/Reward centers in the ol’ brain.

I’m backing off. I get so engrossed, I get a touch of painful tennis elbow playing so hard.

OK sorry to derail, but seriously, something as superficial and daft as Pokémon can seriously be incentive to get out there and get some steps if the really great free podcasts available these days don’t do it for you.

Or multi task and do both. Nothing like listening to A Short History of Cuban Missile Crisis while throwing missiles at imaginary critters as I was doing a day or two ago. “A Short History” has quickly moved up to favorite podcast status.