Quaker Oatmeal

Options
Hello any oatmeal lovers out there? I had Raisin & Spice instant but I am concerned of the high calories associated with it. Any thoughts for a healthier option?

Replies

• knotmel
    knotmel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Since you like oatmeal, you might want to search for “overnight oats” recipes to see if it’s something you might like. It would be a way to move from the instant oatmeal habit into creating something with more whole foods (chia seeds, nuts, fruits). You’d have more control over the nutrition content that way.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of Quaker Instant Maple & Brown Sugar, but not a fan of the calories. So what I'll sometimes do is use the instant packet as a flavouring in my regular Quaker oats. I use about one third of the packet mixed into plain cooked oats.
    However, if I have the time, I can make a far better breakfast from regular rolled oats. Recently I added a small cooked and diced sweet potato, maple syrup, raisins, cinnamon, and roasted crushed almonds for a little added protein. So good! Plus I didn't have a sugar crash later and felt satisfied for hours.

j1f9plshgks6.jpg
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I like to bake oatmeal. It takes time when I first make it, but I can get 8-10 servings out of one bake (or more if I double/triple my recipe), so after that initial work I have breakfast in a minute on subsequent days. I have a variety of kinds that I make based on the season or what is available, or just my personal preference. My "regular" is blueberry (adapted from this recipe), but my kids are especially fond of a zucchini kind I make a lot during the summer, and a pumpkin in the fall that I top with just a smidge of maple syrup for sweetness.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,243 Member
    Options
    I do not like instant oatmeal AT ALL. Or instant grits for that matter.

Quick oats are a reasonable option, but I really don't like them as much as good old rolled oats. I buy "thick rolled oats" in bulk. They cook pretty quick, but not quite as quick as quick oats or instant. Over the last few years, I have stopped even cooking them. I put one (or one half) serving of plain low-fat (or full fat) yogurt in a bowl using my food scale, then add one (or one half if I used a half serving of yogurt) of oats and stir. I let it sit anywhere from 20 minutes to two hours. You could do this the night before and put it in the refrigerator - overnight oats. I use Nancy's yogurt; it's nice and sour. I don't buy milk or milk alternatives, but you could use that. I like yogurt because it's fermented, and Nancy's has several organisms still living in it.

If you like cinnamon, you can sprinkle some in. Raisins, too. Or sliced apples; sometimes I do that. Or sunflower seeds if I don't mind the extra calories. You could even add a tiny bit of brown sugar if you have a sweet tooth. You might consider reducing the amount you use and eventually stop. "Back in the day," I couldn't fathom using plain yogurt. Now I can't fathom using the sweetened stuff. My friend went to the store for me while I was recovering from injury. She intended to buy low-fat plain yogurt, but she ended up grabbing nonfat vanilla. I ate it anyway. It wasn't bad, and Nancy's vanilla isn't TOO sweet, but when I finished it off and went back to plain, I was OH SO HAPPY.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    (snip other good oatmeal advice)
    If you like cinnamon, you can sprinkle some in. Raisins, too. Or sliced apples; sometimes I do that. Or sunflower seeds if I don't mind the extra calories. You could even add a tiny bit of brown sugar if you have a sweet tooth. You might consider reducing the amount you use and eventually stop. "Back in the day," I couldn't fathom using plain yogurt. Now I can't fathom using the sweetened stuff. My friend went to the store for me while I was recovering from injury. She intended to buy low-fat plain yogurt, but she ended up grabbing nonfat vanilla. I ate it anyway. It wasn't bad, and Nancy's vanilla isn't TOO sweet, but when I finished it off and went back to plain, I was OH SO HAPPY.

I do like my oatmeal a little bit sweet, in fact a little sweeter than the frozen/thawed mixed berries I add will make it.

A thing I suggest, for those who feel likewise and who like its distinct flavor, is that they consider a good-quality brand of blackstrap molasses as an oatmeal sweetener. The micros are surprisingly good.

A tablespoon of the brand I like (Wholesome) is 20g, 60 calories, brings 10% DV calcium, 20% DV iron, 8% DV potassium, 8% DV B6, 10% DV magnesium. Also - to me - very tasty, worth its calories for that and the nutritional bump.

To me, the prepackaged instant is too small a serving, waaaay too sweet, and kind of an unpleasantly insubstantial texture. I use thick rolled oats (old-fashioned, not quick), prefer them hot, so microwave them. I do this in a deep bowl, and in phases (hit a couple minutes on the microwave intermittently as I'm doing other stuff) so they don't boil over.

My other constant adds have been the berries, cinnamon, half an ounce of walnuts, and some plain nonfat Greek yogurt. When I went to maintenance calories, I added a tablespoon each of hemp hearts and milled flax seed, and later a tablespoon of peanut butter powder. Now, the total is pretty caloric, but I do best with big, protein-rich breakfast. This keeps me full for hours. The oatmeal and fixins', maintenance edition, is now a whopping 530 calories, with 30.4g protein. Fits great in my day, and will hold me for many hours - until evening, if necessary.
  • siberiantarragon
    siberiantarragon Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Quaker has lower sugar versions of their instant oatmeal now.
  • g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats instructions say to cook a lot longer than regular rolled oatmeal, but I don't cook according to directions. I cook according to my taste and the texture. To cut prep time, I use boiling water from my kettle and add oats. Leave on high to boil about five minutes, turn off heat but leave pot on burner. Then I bathe. By then, the oats are just right for me-whether rolled or steel cut. Steel cut is just a little chewier. I like mine savory-with bacon and butter, salt, maybe a little nutmeg. If you like yours sweet- chop up 3 prunes and add to boiling water same time you add oats. I think they are healthier than raisins, but same general flavor profile. Vanilla and cinnamon seem to amp the sweet taste. I also add apples and or pears sometimes. I always add a little salt,-it brings out the sweet better. Sometimes, I replace the butter with coconut oil. Natural-peanuts only-peanut butter also works. Or stir in vanilla protein powder. Pecans are a very sweet nut, but you could add any of them. I like to add ground flaxseed for a little added chew. If I am really being adventurous, I add orange zest and a sprinkle of cloves. Any or all of these things can be combined to your taste. Sometimes, I pour a little oat or almond milk on after I have prepared. Using unsweetened is still sweet enough for me most days, but if I need a little extra sweetness, I use the vanilla flavored nutmilk.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    (snip other good oatmeal advice)

I do like my oatmeal a little bit sweet, in fact a little sweeter than the frozen/thawed mixed berries I add will make it.

A thing I suggest, for those who feel likewise and who like its distinct flavor, is that they consider a good-quality brand of blackstrap molasses as an oatmeal sweetener. The micros are surprisingly good.

A tablespoon of the brand I like (Wholesome) is 20g, 60 calories, brings 10% DV calcium, 20% DV iron, 8% DV potassium, 8% DV B6, 10% DV magnesium. Also - to me - very tasty, worth its calories for that and the nutritional bump.

To me, the prepackaged instant is too small a serving, waaaay too sweet, and kind of an unpleasantly insubstantial texture. I use thick rolled oats (old-fashioned, not quick), prefer them hot, so microwave them. I do this in a deep bowl, and in phases (hit a couple minutes on the microwave intermittently as I'm doing other stuff) so they don't boil over.

My other constant adds have been the berries, cinnamon, half an ounce of walnuts, and some plain nonfat Greek yogurt. When I went to maintenance calories, I added a tablespoon each of hemp hearts and milled flax seed, and later a tablespoon of peanut butter powder. Now, the total is pretty caloric, but I do best with big, protein-rich breakfast. This keeps me full for hours. The oatmeal and fixins', maintenance edition, is now a whopping 530 calories, with 30.4g protein. Fits great in my day, and will hold me for many hours - until evening, if necessary.

I've stopped eating oatmeal as I don't find it filling AT ALL, despite adding yogurt and/or an egg or whatever. I tried and tried and tried. But I do like the taste of rolled oats plus blackstrap molasses (and powdered ginger.)
  • SweetP27
    SweetP27 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I put a scoop of protein powder in my oatmeal. I use the rolled oat - not a fan of instant. Three minutes in the microwave - then they sit for a bit until I make it back to the kitchen. Add in protein powder, chia seeds and / or ground flax seed.
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal, and my go-to is McCann’s Irish. I get the quick cooking version that takes three minutes, but they also have steel cut for overnight cooking. I do find it boring, but berries on top liven it up.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I use Coach's Oats because it's a similar texture to steel cut...I don't like rolled oats. Most of the instant stuff is going to have stuff added to it...mostly sugar which is going to up the carbs. I mostly eat mine with a little salt and pepper...occasionally I'll be in the mood for having some fruit in there instead but I just add that on my own.
  • MsCzar
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Today I baked an apple and sweet potato crisp topped with rolled oats, 2T brown sugar, 1T butter, cinnamon and butter spray to brown. I first cooked two sliced sweet potatoes in a wee bit of orange juice and once they were soft, added three sliced apples. Drained and assembled all in a large glass pie pan and topped with the oats/butter/sugar mixture. I love spooning over Greek yogurt at breakfast. After baking, I save any excess liquid and combine it with whey for baking.
    You could always make a more Spartan version with artificial sweetener/diet Squirt or Sprite and only butter spray to crisp the oats. But I like the consistency that real butter and brown sugar provide.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I purchased a "little Dipper" from bed Bath & beyond. It is essentially a one serving size, slow cooker. At the time is was only $10. There is no timer, so I use a lamp timer. I measure out 3/4 of a serving of rolled oats and steel cut, a mixture of water and milk, and set the timer for about 2AM start. In the morning I wake up to hot, creamy oatmeal. No waiting! I stir in , berries, cherries, diced up apple, pumpkin puree. The sky's the limit. The fruit makes it somewhat sweet, I add a little monk fruit sweetner.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Eat less of it and/or find a replacement that is more nutrient than calorie dense.
  • nyrobie71
    nyrobie71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use instant oats. I add chia seeds, flax seed, wheat germ, chopped figs and pecans. I use a teaspoon of spenda brown sugar. I buy my stuff at the Amish store and make up a quart container and add it to the oatmeal. Very good!
  • MsCzar
    edited January 2023
    Options
    nyrobie71 wrote: »
    I use instant oats. I add chia seeds, flax seed, wheat germ, chopped figs and pecans. I use a teaspoon of spenda brown sugar. I buy my stuff at the Amish store and make up a quart container and add it to the oatmeal.

Sounds a bit like my homemade granola. Rolled oats, chia, flax, and whatever I have on hand: chopped figs or dates/raisins, chopped almonds or pecans, coconut, cinnamon, nutmeg, sunflower and/or pumpkin seeds. I've never tried Splenda brown sugar, but would like to. I've been using regular brown sugar and a wee bit of oil or melted butter in the mix - or just spraying with butter flavoured oil to get that yummy crispy toasted brown after 30 minutes in the oven. So good over yogurt!

• sheofthesea
    sheofthesea Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Regular oats (or quick), 2 parts water to 1 part oats. Microwave in a largish glass bowl in 30-second increments until creamy. It will bubble so make sure your bowl is large enough.

Top with anything. I like fresh or frozen blueberries. You might like raisins (though a lot of sugar) and cinnamon. Any combination of fruit and spices. Wheat germ or chia seeds or flaxseed offers a crunchy contrast without all the sugar of granola.

I LOVE my oatmeal!
  • MsCzar
    Options
    Ugh! I just burned a whole tray of homemade oat/nut/seed granola. Not even the birds want it. 😭 😭 😭
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Plain, switching to old fashioned oats (steel-cut oats need real cooking I don't make time for). Add your own items rather than what they add to those packets - esp. to reduce added sugars. I make old fashioned ("rolled") oats most days, with added plain whey concentrate, nutritional yeast and either oat milk (homemade or a plain store-bought) or low-fat/non-fat dairy milk. I microwave, lowered power (80%), for 5 min on my countertop micro. I sometimes add some fresh fruit, mostly blueberries or apple. Sometimes my wife leaves an egg yolk for me from her breakfast (she removes one of the two she has those days), it goes in too. With a yolk and with blueberries, the count from MFP is 617cal, 41g protein, 15g fat, 86g carb, 14g fiber, 10g sugar, using 1cup oats and planet oat plain original oatmilk. The yeast is a good source of B vitamins (besides some protein) and is a bit of an acquired taste. It's a biggish breakfast, but I'm usually having it late morning and it usually holds me to mid-afternoon when I take a light lunch. Oatmilk is my way of leaving room in my dailies for things I like more, such as cheese. I think most oat milk is too expensive and has uneeded stuff in it, so I occasionally make my own (it's easy, but is a process). I use the leftover pulp in baking bread that day. Good luck.

Pic: oat pulp being used as a bread add-in:
    g2dqwf7djk45.jpg

Pic: resultant loaf:
    fbl4n3zeqq9z.jpg