Starting Intermittent Fasting.

Options
Is anyone doing intermittent fasting and it works for them? What are you eating for your first meal?
I typically don't eat breakfast as it is, so I thought I'd try this. I haven't been losing weight just not eating breakfast and starting my meals around 12, but I think that's more to what I'm eating the rest of the time. Sometimes I find myself just eating a big (somewhat unhealthy) lunch and then snacking in the evening instead of eating a good dinner. What are some things that have worked for those that have done/are doing intermittent fasting?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    IF isn't about food, it's about the absence of food over a specific period of time. A person can eat any food they desire in any quantities they want. There's basically two different approaches. 1) When you create a time interval that spans a day or more, 5:2 is popular where you don't eat for 2 out of the 7 days of the week, or 38, 48hr fasts and longer. 2) When the meals of the day are scheduled within that same day like 12:12, 18:6 for example, this is basically called Timed Restricted Feeding or Eating (TRF,TRE) which works in conjunction with our circadian rhythm and it's just optimizing repair and regeneration, again has nothing to do with food or a deficit. Personally I prefer the 2nd choice and the 1st choice imo can be problematic for a lot of people and really shouldn't be initiated without the advice of your doctor.
  • Laura4ever5
    Laura4ever5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do IF. I do 18:6. When I started, I stopped eating in the evening at 7pm and started eating at 1pm. I would break my fast with a protein smoothie. That was a year and a half ago. I know start my fast at 5pm and end it at 11am. I break my fast with a gluten free bagel, slice of cheese, 2 eggs, spinach. All I drink is water. It really fills me up that I have to make myself eat food before my 5pm close window. I will say, I am hungry around bedtime. So I am still tweaking this as I have changed my IF schedule with the new year AND I am always looking for new ways to better myself. Hope this was helpful.
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I’m on week 3 of 18:6. But if I understand it may be awhile before my body ‘heals’ and the weight loss starts. So currently I am counting calories during my 6. I try to be done eating around 7-8 pm. I break my fast after 18 hours with whatever lol. Yogurt, sandwich, cereal, chocolate, eggs and toast dry toast, mixed nuts. I have been drinking way more water that I seldom have Diet Mountain Dew anymore. I was up to five or six 24 oz bottles a day! Friend me if you’d like.