Options

Replies

• BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    (snip)
    In the end, this is the thing: an energy deficit WILL lead to fat loss. The way to do that, is to reduce intake to below what is needed. I often call that "less than you need to stay alive" because at the only reason that you don't die is that you have fat storage, the very thing you want to reduce.

Food energy content is relatively easy to measure but it is highly unreliable. One reason is simply that food is a natural product. Nothing in nature is constant. Look at an apple tree: no two apples are the same, no two apples look identical, no two apples taste exactly the same. Not even when they are hanging from the same branch. As a result, predicting how much fat one will lose in one day, is impossible and even over a few weeks, it is at best imprecise which is precisely why the tolerance margins on food labels are as high as they are.

The same is true for exercise. The numbers given may suggest precision but that is a false idea. The numbers are there because they are the result of experiments, but they are by no means precise, they are averages that indicate an idea of how much energy is consumed but nothing more.

I hope this whole epistle will give some type of an idea of what I mean by "undetectable".

Nobody denies that there is an effect, but you can say with almost absolute certainty that the effect is undetectable or unmeasurable or undeterminable.

Repeating myself: We don't need precision. We need a workable estimate.

Our BMR/RMR is an estimate (unless lab-measured, in which case it's still point in time, not invariant).
    Our activity level from daily life is an estimate.
    Our food logging, however meticulous, is - as you point out - essentially an estimate.

We just need workable estimates.

As far as I can tell - could be wrong - you don't exercise, outside of walking. Walking is a good exercise, but humans are quite efficient at it, so it's a relatively low calorie burner on the overall scale of common exercise. You've given no indication that you have any practical experience with more intense exercise in the context of weight management.

For exercise, as with the other factors, all we need is a workable estimate. Workable estimates are not out of reach, for many exercise activities, as a practical thing. Yes, the calories cannot be measured exactly outside a metabolic lab. Neither can any of those other things, in practical terms. We can succeed anyway, because workable estimates are plenty good enough.

As to whether normal, non-athlete people can exercise enough to be meaningful to what matters for weight loss - yes, energy deficit - there's ample evidence that they can. Even if we can't quantify the calories to the degree of exactitude you seem to want of exercise energy expenditure (but can't get for any other factor), there are ample indications from research that normal people can spend 10% or more of TDEE in half an hour to an hour of quite a few common exercises. That's a meaningful contributor to energy deficit (when losing weight) or to energy needs (when maintaining).

It is a disservice to say otherwise to others here, because that is misleading and inaccurate, when using normal, practical definitions of words like "undetectable".

I cannot "say with almost absolute certainty that the effect is undetectable or unmeasurable or undeterminable", because both my practical experience and my reading of research on the subject tell me that that is utterly untrue. "Unmeasurable" in the strictest sense, maybe. But capable of being estimated in a workable, practical, useable way.
    I have never seen a meta-analysis that showed that weight loss specifically ascribed to exercise was more than about a kg or so in six months to a year. You cannot detect that at home, unless you really are prepared to work hard for several months to get a tiny result that you can't even reliably see on a scale until several months after starting the exercise.

As I have said multiple times, no one claims that it is impossible for exercise to have results, only that in order to get really good results, you need to keep up an exercise regimen, such as in the Biggest Loser, and keep that up for long enough. That is something only a lucky few have even the privilege to attempt. Nevertheless, I thank you for the reactions, it has motivated me to once again spend several hours looking for a good meta-analysis that showed clinically significant weight loss due to exercise. I did not find any.

It has also led me to find this funny guy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCtn4Ap8kDM
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,403 Member
    Options
    I am going to make a few statements I believe to be true.

TLDR: creating an additional energy deficit of 250 calories per day through exercise should lead to a fat/weight loss of about a half pound per week beyond what your loss rate may be currently.

First some definitions:
    • BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate. This is the energy your body uses just to be alive. If you were in a coma, you’d use this amount of energy. Your brain uses most of the energy required of your BMR.
    • NEAT = Non-exercise activity thermogenesis. This is the number that MFP generates as your base calorie goal either from using the guided set-up or from you inputting it based on your experience. It is the energy your body uses including BMR but also to do the things you normally do, like walking to the kitchen to make coffee, getting the mail, riding your bike to work if you don’t count that as exercise, and contemplating your navel.
    • TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This is your NEAT plus any other energy you use, such as intentional exercise or things that aren’t part of your normal day, like running as fast as you can away from a charging bear or climbing Denali. Or just going for a swim. Or playing horseshoes.
    • Calorie = a unit of energy. In the food world, it actually is 1000 calories. A calorie as a unit of energy is the amount of energy it takes to raise one gram of water (for water this is also one ml and also one cubic centimeter) one degree Celcius from standard temperature at atmospheric pressure. A Joule is another unit of energy that is an SI Unit (an internationally accepted unit of measurement). A joule is the energy required to produce one watt of power for one second. For food, a kilojoule, or kJ is about 0.239 “calories.”
    • A calorie deficit = when the number of calories consumed is less than TDEE.
    • A calorie surplus = when the number of calories consumed is greater than TDEE.
    • A calorie deficit of 3500 calories should lead to the loss of one pound of fat; a surplus of 3500 calories should result in gaining a pound.

With that in mind:

It is generally a bad idea to consume fewer calories than your BMR. If you eat the same number of calories as your BMR, and if you do any activity at all, you should have at least a small deficit, and you should lose weight over time.

If you are using MFP to lose weight, you have set your daily calorie goal to be something lower than your TDEE. What you really did was likely to set your calorie goal to less than your NEAT with the expectation you would enter intentional exercise, and that would increase your goal. If you eat exactly the number of net calories (base plus intentional exercise), you will maintain the planned deficit and should lose about the intended rate.

The confounding factor is these are estimates. The energy your body uses for normal activity (BMR) and for non-exercise activity (NEAT) and for exercise (TDEE) may differ somewhat from these estimates. If you log completely and accurately for several weeks, you can adjust your goal to get to your intended loss (or gain) target. You can also observe how different levels of exercise impact your deficit and fine tune those.

If you are eating at your goal and you add some activity every day but don’t increase your caloric intake, your loss rate will be faster. If you do some activity, like walking for about an hour every day, that burns an additional 250 calories over whatever your loss rate is set to (or if you are maintaining), you should lose an ADDITIONAL half pound per week. If that puts you at an unhealthy weight loss rate, you should eat more calories! How many? Well, I’d say 250.

I really do think it’s that simple. Sorry it took so many words.

• mtaratoot
    Options
    I had a really wonderful boss when I started my last career. Not so much by the time I left; the good one retired.

That good boss always had something relevant to say. There was a time when I had been asked to give a presentation at an annual event. It was something I was an expert on. Another person I know and actually respect was going to be speaking in the same panel. That person actually asked me NOT to speak to a specific topic he was going to be speaking about. He was generally knowledgeable, he had a good intention, and he also had an agenda. He didn't want the people in the audience to hear conflicting information. His talk was going to say the opposite of what he knew I was going to say. I eveWn had data. Did I mention I was the local expert?

Anyway, before the event, I spoke to my boss about it. He smiled, looked me in the eyes and said, "Don't confuse me with the facts." I gave my talk as planned. People came and asked both of us questions. I don't think anyone was confused. What the other person had to say had validity, just not in all circumstances. In this case, our climate was such that what his agenda would have people do would not achieve the desired outcome. But it would feel good to do it.

I think that sometimes happens here.

Thank you @PAV8888 and @cmriverside for the well-reasoned and data-filled posts.

• BartBVanBockstaele
    edited January 2023
    Options
    We are saying that exercise calories can be a meaningful fraction of the calories a normal person (not super athlete) burns in a day, and that those calories need to be accounted for in managing one's energy balance.
    Sure. I have nothing against the term "can". One "can" also win the lottery. Unfortunately, for every one person who actually wins it, there are millions who do not. I have yet to see credible studies that show meaningful weight loss demonstrably caused by exercise does actually happen in large-enough populations. How large, can be a matter for debate, what the meaningful weight loss can also be discussed, but as long as credible studies are no produced, weightloss by exercise will not be taken seriously by anyone in the field.

We know diets work because we have the studies to show it. Surely, if something is effective, it cannot be hard to show it.

As for how detectable weight loss by exercise is, it is the same problem: no one is saying that it is impossible, but we know that it is al but undetectable. How do we know that? Because if it were easy to demonstrate, we would have the data that proves it, and hardly anyone would doubt it.

Carl Sagan once said that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. I happen to disagree with that. Absence of evidence *is* evidence of absence, it is just not *proof* of absence.

The exercise claim reminds me of Dr. Oz who had to admit in the US senate that he had no proof for his claims but that he was giving people "hope". People are better off without hope and with proof or at elast evidence.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    Options
    There is enough in this thread, Bart, for those who read it to assess the usefulness and basis of your argument, my argument, that of others. I'm sure you're quite comfortable with your own opinion, from how strongly you argue it. I'm quite comfortable with mine.

At this point, I'll leave it to others who may read this thread to judge from these posts which view is the more reasonable and practical for them to follow as guidance.

When I'm convinced I'm wrong in a discussion, I will say so clearly, no goal-post moving or waffling. That I'm leaving this where it sits now should not be mistaken for such a statement.
    There are tons of claims. No evidence.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    @BartBVanBockstaele

If you choose to respond to those questions of whether you disagree with specific statements in my comments posted above, please provide a simple yes or no answer. I am not interested in convoluted language. Just a yes or now answer to those direct questions.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Things I have learned from Bart:

- You can only lose fat by taking in fewer calories than you need to stay alive.

- You can't lose fat by exercising, because the calories burned are insignificant and can only be measured in a lab.

cz6afo3rx0et.png
    That is fine. After all, freedom of religion is guaranteed by most constitutions in the western world.
    I prefer reality, but that is just me.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Not a single person who has responded to your drivel has suggested that the amount we eat is unimportant for weight loss. It is CRITICAL. It would be really easy for me to not only eat back those 250 calories, but an additional 250 and then gain a half pound a week. Fifty grams of pistachios would cancel that 250 calorie deficit. One ounce of cheddar cheese would too. So would 2.6 tablespoons of peanut butter. What we eat is important. Even you agree on that. What you can't seem to wrap your brain around is the fact that you can create a calorie deficit not only by reducing what you eat but also by increasing your activity. That defies logic. It's a pity you can't see that.

I agree with the rest of your post (including the parts I omitted), but you could eat two ounces or a bit more of cheddar cheese for 250 calories. At least in the U.S. you could. Maybe elsewhere they make their cheddar cheese with a lot more fat.

• BartBVanBockstaele
    edited January 2023
    Options
    People who wonder why they are not losing weight despite exercising [vigorously], should know this:

Based on the present literature, unless the overall volume of aerobic ET is very high, clinically significant weight loss is unlikely to occur.

Source: The Role of Exercise and Physical Activity in Weight Loss and Maintenance by Damon L. Swift et al.

You should go to a medical doctor (MD) before starting any weight loss programme or making any significant changes to your daily physical activity.

It is a good idea to read up a little beforehand so that you will be able to ask meaningful questions and a good place to start is here, on the site of the CDC:
    https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/

This information of this site is put together for the general public by people who are experts in their field. The information has been checked and double-checked and while it is a bit general by its very nature, it is one of the best starting points you could possibly hope to find.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,043 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I don't see your quoted text on that link. I don't see this "claim" you made ...but I'm not spending any more of my precious life on this. Your claim:
    "Based on the present literature, unless the overall volume of aerobic ET is very high, clinically significant weight loss is unlikely to occur."

From the first few paragraphs on your link: https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html
    The following is a direct copy/paste, which is how this should be if you aren't just looking for a reaction.
    Achieving and maintaining a healthy weight includes healthy eating, physical activity, optimal sleep, and stress reduction. Several other factors may also affect weight gain.

Healthy eating features a variety of healthy foods. Fad diets may promise fast results, but such diets limit your nutritional intake, can be unhealthy, and tend to fail in the long run.

How much physical activity you need depends partly on whether you are trying to maintain your weight or lose weight. Walking is often a good way to add more physical activity to your lifestyle.

Managing your weight contributes to good health now and as you age. In contrast, people who have obesity, compared to those with a healthy weight, are at increased risk for many serious diseases and health conditions. See examples of programs that can help.

Helping people maintain a healthy weight is part of CDC’s work to achieve health equity.

and on a link:

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html
    How much physical activity do I need?

When it comes to weight management, people vary greatly in how much physical activity they need. Here are some guidelines to follow:

To maintain your weight: Work your way up to 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity, 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity, or an equivalent mix of the two each week. Strong scientific evidence shows that physical activity can help you maintain your weight over time. However, the exact amount of physical activity needed to do this is not clear since it varies greatly from person to person. It’s possible that you may need to do more than the equivalent of 150 minutes of moderate-intensity activity a week to maintain your weight.

To lose weight and keep it off: You will need a high amount of physical activity unless you also adjust your diet and reduce the amount of calories you’re eating and drinking. Getting to and staying at a healthy weight requires both regular physical activity and a healthy eating plan.
    What do moderate- and vigorous-intensity mean?

Moderate: While performing the physical activity, if your breathing and heart rate is noticeably faster but you can still carry on a conversation — it’s probably moderately intense. Examples include—

Walking briskly (a 15-minute mile).
    Light yard work (raking/bagging leaves or using a lawn mower).
    Light snow shoveling.
    Actively playing with children.
    Biking at a casual pace.

Vigorous: Your heart rate is increased substantially and you are breathing too hard and fast to have a conversation, it’s probably vigorously intense. Examples include—
    • Jogging/running.
    • Swimming laps.
    • Rollerblading/inline skating at a brisk pace.
    • Cross-country skiing.
    • Most competitive sports (football, basketball, or soccer).
    • Jumping rope.

How many calories are used in typical activities?

The following table shows calories used in common physical activities at both moderate and vigorous levels.
    SEE NEXT POST ~~>>