Trouble sleeping

Buckeyebabe7l7
Buckeyebabe7l7 Posts: 591 Member
So, every time I have gone on a weight loss crusade my sleep is TERRIBLE. I go to sleep just fine but in about 2 hours I am awake and have a hard time falling back to sleep. It may take 1-2 hours to fall back to sleep and then within 2 hours I am awake again. It is so frustrating. I have started going to bed at 7 pm just so I have 11 hours to try and get a few hours of sleep. I don't nap during the day but I get really sleepy around 2:30-3 pm. Any suggestions?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    How high is your deficit?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

• Buckeyebabe7l7
    I'm not exactly sure what info I need to know that. I weigh 256 and eat 1200 calories a day.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 872 Member
    Are you getting enough magnesium in your diet?

I was having sleep issues and I supplemented with magnesium and melatonin. It helped. Natural sources of magnesium are pumpkin seeds, spinach and almonds.

• Buckeyebabe7l7
    Are you getting enough magnesium in your diet?

I was having sleep issues and I supplemented with magnesium and melatonin. It helped. Natural sources of magnesium are pumpkin seeds, spinach and almonds.

I have upped my spinach consumption and am now taking a daily multivitamin that includes magnesium, so maybe? But I should try taking the melatonin. I was awake at 3am today and decided to get out of bed by 4:30 because I knew I wasn't going back to sleep. Thanks for your suggestions!
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,595 Member
    I'm not exactly sure what info I need to know that. I weigh 256 and eat 1200 calories a day.
    Well if you actually ARE taking in 1,200 a day, every day then that's too low for you. I'd look at your feeding times and if you drink coffee or not. Going to bed after eating certain things or going to bed hungry can cause issues along with drinking coffee after about noon or so. Alcohol also will cause your symptoms so I'd take an overall assessment of your diet

• Buckeyebabe7l7
    edited January 2023
    Well if you actually ARE taking in 1,200 a day, every day then that's too low for you. I'd look at your feeding times and if you drink coffee or not. Going to bed after eating certain things or going to bed hungry can cause issues along with drinking coffee after about noon or so. Alcohol also will cause your symptoms so I'd take an overall assessment of your diet

I do drink coffee but it's one (sometimes, but not often 2) cup when I get up at 6:45 am. I am not drinking any alcohol. What kind of things should I look for as far as going to bed after eating "certain things". I don't go to bed hungry because I usually go to bed about 2 hours after dinner.

Also, why is 1200 too low? Would being too low cause sleep issues?

Thanks for the input. :)
  • tomcustombuilder

I do drink coffee but it's one (sometimes, but not often 2) cup when I get up at 6:45 am. I am not drinking any alcohol. What kind of things should I look for as far as going to bed after eating "certain things". I don't go to bed hungry because I usually go to bed about 2 hours after dinner.

if you aren’t losing 2-3 lbs a week you’re eating more than 1,200. Try making yourself stay up until about 10:30 or so. Going to bed too early can interfere with your sleep rhythms.

As far as food, that’s hard to say. There are so many variables without just guessing.

• Buckeyebabe7l7
    edited January 2023

if you aren’t losing 2-3 lbs a week you’re eating more than 1,200. Try making yourself stay up until about 10:30 or so. Going to bed too early can interfere with your sleep rhythms.

As far as food, that’s hard to say. There are so many variables without just guessing.
    I am losing 2-3 lbs a week.

I know I couldn't stay up that late. I watch my 6 grandkids (I'm 52) 5 days a week and too tired after they leave for me to stay up past 8pm.

I guess I can try stretching to 8:30 or 9 and see if that helps.
  • tomcustombuilder

I know I couldn't stay up that late. I watch my 6 grandkids (I'm 52) 5 days a week and too tired after they leave for me to stay up past 8pm.

Lol, 6 grandkids 5 days a week. You're lucky to make it till 7.

Anecdotally, when I go to bed too early I'm wide awake at 2 am. When the sun is down at 5, it's easy to go to bed at 8 however the later the better (to a point) for good sleep.

• Buckeyebabe7l7

Lol, 6 grandkids 5 days a week. You're lucky to make it till 7.

Anecdotally, when I go to bed too early I'm wide awake at 2 am. When the sun is down at 5, it's easy to go to bed at 8 however the later the better (to a point) for good sleep.

Tell me about it! lol

So, I will try and push my bedtime to as late as I can stand it. Thanks for your suggestions and help.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,964 Member

2-3 pounds a week is possibly somewhat fast.

A common rule of thumb is to lose no more than 0.5-1% of current weight per week, with a bias toward the lower end of that if current weight isn't an acute health threat in itself (and especially if not under close medical supervision for potential health complications or nutritional deficiencies).

You're losing at the upper border of that range, maybe over it. That's not to say that something bad *will* happen, just that risks increase.

Since you're already experiencing one symptom that could be triggered by too-fast loss, maybe consider going to 1700 or a bit more calories daily for a few weeks, see if that helps? These things can be very individual.

Hopping you find a workable solution!
  • Buckeyebabe7l7
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

A common rule of thumb is to lose no more than 0.5-1% of current weight per week, with a bias toward the lower end of that if current weight isn't an acute health threat in itself (and especially if not under close medical supervision for potential health complications or nutritional deficiencies).

You're losing at the upper border of that range, maybe over it. That's not to say that something bad *will* happen, just that risks increase.

Since you're already experiencing one symptom that could be triggered by too-fast loss, maybe consider going to 1700 or a bit more calories daily for a few weeks, see if that helps? These things can be very individual.

Ok, thanks for the info. If going to bed at a later time doesn't help I will try the increase in calories. :)

• tomcustombuilder
    edited January 2023
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Ok, thanks for the info. If going to bed at a later time doesn't help I will try the increase in calories. :)
    also, waking up and having your brain doing gymnastics with life issues can also be why you’re having problems. For many, middle of the night is when the mind starts sorting things out that it couldn’t during the day.

• kite16509
    kite16509 Posts: 12 Member
    Have you ever had a sleep study? I use a CPAP machine but I didn’t know that I had a sleep apnea until I was tested. Now my evening routine starts with chamomile tea by my bedside and while that is steeping, I take a 20 minute soak in Epson salts And warm water. And then I come and drink my tea and I read a little bit before bed. No phone in the bed. And of course the CPAP machine.

This has been a game changer for me. I was at the point where I was falling asleep during the day. So tired. I still wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom or just because I woke up. When that happens, I’ll make sure that I put my CPAP machine back on and I have an audiobook that I can turn on and listen to, and that puts me right to sleep.
  • Buckeyebabe7l7
    Just an update. Since trying to stay up a bit later and maybe my body just getting used to the drastic change in diet I have been sleeping much better. Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions and help. <3
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    So, every time I have gone on a weight loss crusade my sleep is TERRIBLE. I go to sleep just fine but in about 2 hours I am awake and have a hard time falling back to sleep. It may take 1-2 hours to fall back to sleep and then within 2 hours I am awake again. It is so frustrating. I have started going to bed at 7 pm just so I have 11 hours to try and get a few hours of sleep. I don't nap during the day but I get really sleepy around 2:30-3 pm. Any suggestions?

I hope you're eating more as it sure sounds like it is your undereating causing sleep issues. :)
  • Buckeyebabe7l7
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I hope you're eating more as it sure sounds like it is your undereating causing sleep issues. :)

No, I am eating the same and my sleeping is much better. I think I just needed to adjust my bedtime and get used to my new diet.
  • ericatoday1
    ericatoday1 Posts: 50 Member
    I agree your calories for your weight is too low. The bigger you are your metabolism is actually high so you can up it a little bit.

Also I have the same issue though with sleeping and I’m more natural in my approaches that have worked for me because medication is a no for me. I make homemade edibles which are amazing. I don’t eat enough to be in space or even get really high but it puts me to sleep, I don’t wake up drowsy and I wake up in less pain than I use to.

During times I cannot consume edibles I do take melatonin which works for me as long as I stick to 5mg or under if I take more then it has the reverse effect.
  • Buckeyebabe7l7
    edited February 2023
    I agree your calories for your weight is too low. The bigger you are your metabolism is actually high so you can up it a little bit.

Also I have the same issue though with sleeping and I’m more natural in my approaches that have worked for me because medication is a no for me. I make homemade edibles which are amazing. I don’t eat enough to be in space or even get really high but it puts me to sleep, I don’t wake up drowsy and I wake up in less pain than I use to.

During times I cannot consume edibles I do take melatonin which works for me as long as I stick to 5mg or under if I take more then it has the reverse effect.

Thanks for your concern and thoughts. I am doing much better now and haven't had to take anything for sleep. But I am glad you have found something to work for you. :)

If I do find sleeping a problem in the future I will try adjusting my calories. So no worries.