Nice Idea to stop being tempted

Options
A friend of mine gave me this idea. I initially thought, it was the worst idea ever but it works great. Sorry for saying it though.
If you are ever craving for some bad food, chocolate, ice cream, anything that is actually bad for your wright loss goals, just become insane for a few seconds and throw it in garbage.

Feel bad, kick yourself after the fact, but at the moment, become a jerk, become an idiot, and throw it in garbage. The moment to eat it will pass and you would have successfully resisted temptation.

It has worked wonders for me.

Replies

• ajk828
    ajk828 Posts: 335
    Options
    A starving, underprivileged child just cried.
  • jenfactor
    Options
    I agree! I threw out a cookie today and felt totally in control! It's hard to get over the feeling of "wasting" food, but isn't it worse to just store it on my hips?
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I hateeee doing that, but if I know I'll eat it...I immediately give it to someone who wants it, or in the garbage it goes! I've had to do this A LOT with holidays/birthdays.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Why not just NOT have the stuff in the house to start?
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Been here, done that. It definitely works! I try not to bring anything into the house that could possibly tempt me, but of course that doesn't work. If it does come into the house, then I try to eat it in moderation. And if that fails, then I throw it out. I hate to do it, but the alternative is 5lbs of weight to carry around!
  • You can also try giving it away. Bring in those cookies and chips and leave them out in the office break room. Hopefully, that'll help ease the guilt on just tossing the food. Better yet, resist temptation next time you're at the grocery store, so you won't even have to deal with the situation. Yes, I know, it is easier said than done. =]
  • mary020378
    Options
    you can either not buy the junk or if you buy it then have it go straight to a church where they have the food pantrys where they hand out food for the people that are need of food. it will show that you are in control and will be helping the people that do need to stock up their pantrys
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    What? So you buy it, take it home and then throw it away?
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I understand the importance of having control over the food, but why buy it if you're going to not allow yourself to ever have it?
    Just do everyone a favor and not buy it in the first place. Saves money and saves you from having to waste food.
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    A friend of mine gave me this idea. I initially thought, it was the worst idea ever but it works great. Sorry for saying it though.
    If you are ever craving for some bad food, chocolate, ice cream, anything that is actually bad for your wright loss goals, just become insane for a few seconds and throw it in garbage.

Feel bad, kick yourself after the fact, but at the moment, become a jerk, become an idiot, and throw it in garbage. The moment to eat it will pass and you would have successfully resisted temptation.

It has worked wonders for me.
    How about this? Don't keep the food in your house! Save some money. Or, preoccupy yourself with other matters. Go read a book, exercise, do your homework, knit a scarf, feed your cat, idk. And save the chocolate and ice cream for yourself to eat once a week.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Are you for real?

Wasting perfectly good food? Why buy it in the first place if you don't want to eat it?
    smiley-confused002.gif4.gif
  • venragh
    venragh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The tough part to all this is, you have the food in front of you and you are craving to eat it. In a sane moment, non-craving moment, our philanthropic side is great.
    Throwing vs giving it away - giving it away wins.
    eating vs throwing - what wins ?
    eating vs giving it away - what wins when you are craving for the food and tempted ?
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Or...you could spray some windex on it
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

Wow, that was my thought! And if its in the house because someone else eats/drinks it, learn to ignore it..I have 3 kids and husband. You are an adult, and need to make adult choices.
  • Teach4Hisglory
    Teach4Hisglory Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'd have to agree with others... just don't buy it in the first place. I have a difficult time throwing away things that would greatly benefit others. I also struggle with sharing "bad food" with others. :o) If it's not good enough for me to eat, why would I want to give it to someone I love?
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It's easy to keep my house clean of temptation, but it's so much harder at work cos other people bring it into the building! Sometimes I have to make myself make a phone call when I know there is a morning tea on so that I can just miss out - phew!
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options

Wow, that was my thought! And if its in the house because someone else eats/drinks it, learn to ignore it..I have 3 kids and husband. You are an adult, and need to make adult choices.

This and this. Grow up. Have some control, and stop wasting food.
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I give mine to the dog....As soon as dinner is over...everything goes to to dogs...if not, I'll be in there eating it 3 hrs later.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    It's easy to keep my house clean of temptation, but it's so much harder at work cos other people bring it into the building! Sometimes I have to make myself make a phone call when I know there is a morning tea on so that I can just miss out - phew!
    This...all temptations happen at work, bagel day, brownie day, whatever day...
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I give mine to the dog....As soon as dinner is over...everything goes to to dogs...if not, I'll be in there eating it 3 hrs later.
    Now your dog probably need to log on to this site trying to find tips on how to stop being tempted...LOL