February 2023 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,975 Member
    Options

You're doing great @spl8 !

Nice run @Scott6255 ! Just go with the flow!

Great running @kgirlhart . Hope you enjoyed your rest day today.

Smart to take the day off @ScienceofTeaching ! I hope the swelling goes down and it feels better tomorrow. What do you teach?

@tarun_yadavA That will be a little chilly, but you have been running in worse. Great run today! You are going to do great come Sunday. Thanks re the quilt. I was thinking about a few weeks back, maybe it was when you ran the marathon distance, that you were complaining about having to dodge all the people. I hope you don't have that issue for the entire distance. Hopefully not! But you got in some good practice, if that is the case.

@SummerSkier I think you are doing great, considering your weather so far this month. I love USAA insurance, but they won't insure my house because I'm in the country and there is no fire hydrant nearby. :disappointed: I hope your knee feels better tomorrow. Probably a good idea to skip tennis.

Thanks @eleanorhawkins . Love your pun about "running around." So sorry about your daughter's anxiety and getting the flu. I hope she gets the help she needs and gets better soon and hope you dodge the flu and have a good race on Sunday. That course sounds brutal. Do we have a way to track you during your race?

@polskagirl01 Thanks. I have a friend who restores old quilts. She does a fantastic job. I'm not sure I would be very good at that. You'll have to post a picture after you finish the UFO. What is causing the air quality to be so poor? Is that normal. I'm sorry you had a set back with the long CoVID. You are a trouper for hanging in there and doing what you can every day. I hope the light therapy works. I'm sure it is a certain wavelength. Do you know what it is?

@martaindale You're doing great with your running. I guess being sore after Palates means that it did you some good. :lol: Sorry about your teenager woes. It sounds like you and DH are handling it well.

It was really nice out here again this afternoon - mostly sunny and 61F (16.1C). I did driveway laps again. This is a cut back week, so the plan called for a 30 min easy run. I ran 2.25 miles in 30:33 min for an average pace of 13:35 min/mile. I had intended to keep my HR under 130, but when, during the warm up walk it got up to 127, I knew that wasn't going to happen, unless I walked the whole thing. So, I ran by feel today (did walk up the hills). My avg HR was 141 with a max of 155 bpm. I also walked a mile total for warm up and cool down.

exercise.png
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,443 Member
    Options
    @shanaber and @martaindale so sorry for you and your kids. That is such a gut wrenching feeling to see them in such dispair. You never outgrow being a parent 😔

@SummerSkier and @AlphaHowls I really like the pain scale 😁

@polskagirl01 I hope you can find some answers. The light therapy sounds interesting.

Cold and rainy here. Got 8 miles on the treadmill.

exercise.png
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    @tarun_yadavA Just noticed your weather forecast. That looks like great racing weather!
    spl8 wrote: »
    Mmmm... pizza. Is it okay to crave pizza even on very slow 4-mile runs?

Absolutely!

@martaindale … Sorry about your teenager woes. It sounds like you and DH are handling it well.

I wouldn’t say that. In the midst of it, it feels like whatever we do is the wrong thing. Or rather that there isn’t really a good way to handle it. We’re just trying to make it to that magical point where everyone keeps telling us that they will become a normal human being again (early 20’s or so I’m told). Idk if all 3 of us will make it until then. :D
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    February total: 27.9/125 miles

2/1: 3.1 miles
    2/3: 5.2 miles
    2/4: 9 miles
    2/6: 5.1 miles
    2/7: 5.5 miles

First speed work in a few months, 9 x 400m at 5k pace. I surprised myself by hitting my splits pretty much spot on. 400m repeats is a tough workout, but I was able to keep it consistent and I wasn’t working too hard to get to my 5k pace. I guess I am pretty well recovered, so that’s good.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 Thanks. I have a friend who restores old quilts. She does a fantastic job. I'm not sure I would be very good at that. You'll have to post a picture after you finish the UFO. What is causing the air quality to be so poor? Is that normal. I'm sorry you had a set back with the long CoVID. You are a trouper for hanging in there and doing what you can every day. I hope the light therapy works. I'm sure it is a certain wavelength. Do you know what it is?
    Air quality is like this every winter due to people heating their homes with cheap coal or other illegal materials (trash, etc). It only takes one bad house per neighborhood, and when every neighbordood has multiple offenders, it adds up.

There's a loooong complicated explanation... but briefly, the lights are Red(660) and Near-Infared(830). This is NOT the same as infared. The wavelength used has a long track record of being safe, but it's of course all still in the testing phase. They know that covid breaks a certain element in the electron transport chain in the cells (think mitochondria and energy production), and they know that that particular element responds to this specific type of light for healing, but whether we can fix the chain just by shining the light on ourselves, remains to be seen. The in-person study hasn't been "unblinded" yet.
    If you like to read pages and pages of scientific explanation, check it out over at ltcovid.com
    But if you get lost there, I also came across a podcast on how light is used to treat other conditions - search for the "Huberman Lab" podcast, 4/18/22 "Using Light..."

@eleanorhawkins I'm sorry to hear about the teenager anxiety. It's hard enough being that age, without adding in anxiety (and added pandemics, lockdowns, and exams). The exams at the end of high school are a huge stressor for kids in Poland, too. It's TOO big a deal, in my opinion. So big hugs to you and her if she's accepting hugs, and I hope you're able to get quality help and coping strategies for her.
    I wouldn’t say that. In the midst of it, it feels like whatever we do is the wrong thing. Or rather that there isn’t really a good way to handle it. We’re just trying to make it to that magical point where everyone keeps telling us that they will become a normal human being again (early 20’s or so I’m told). Idk if all 3 of us will make it until then. :D
    Mid-to-late 20s if it's a male child is what I've heard. Something about brain development and the part of your brain that considers long-term consequences? Anecdotally it makes sense with my now-normal-adult stepkids. Surviving is the key. Hugs to you, too!

Maybe pizza would help with the teenagers too?
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,975 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    You're killing that treadmill @Scott6255 !

Great consistency @chris_in_cal !

@martaindale It's too bad that kids don't come with an "owners" manual. Maybe the fact that the police brought them home had a bigger impact on them than they show to you. AND, at least that let you know what was going on so you can address it. Deep breath and do what you feel is best. That's all you can do. I feel that as long as things are done in love, it'll work out. Great running yesterday and glad to see that you have recovered so well.

@eleanorhawkins "It's a tiny village thing. Should be very authentic, not sure if that means awesome or horrific in this case "
    Hahaha You are going to do great and I look forward to hearing all about it.

Great run @tarun_yadavA ! "Little fufu, rats on leashes." :lol::lol: You are right. It will be a lot better and hopefully all the runners will allow those of you who are so speedy the right of way.

@Laurz9191 Sorry your leg is giving you so many issues. Take is easy and hopefully it will heal quickly and you can get back to that speed work. Enjoy the sunshine.

• chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I went to my first Pilates class Sunday and I am still sore! Yesterday was easy miles, and I am so grateful for that. My glutes were so sore there is no way I could have mustered speed.

It might be the same with Pilates, I used to practice yoga a lot. It is kind of remarkable where I do pose #1 on day #1, and day #2 I am wrecked.

After a year of practice, doing pose #1 for ten minutes, and I still don't quite feel warmed up.

Back in the day, throwing out five junk miles of running and I would finish up think I should do a *real* long run. Whereas today, If I attempted a five mile run It's possible I could run/walk/crawl my way through it, but would be wrecked for the next week.

For me, your story teaches me the value of keep a wide variety of activities and movements. Kind of like an anti "over use" injury. A little bit of use of everything is what I hope to keep up.

I'm happy to hear you went to that class.
  • spl8
    spl8 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

I continue to have an achy mid-back when I do my wuns, despite my yoga and pre- and post- run dynamic stretching. I suspect my form is not great. And I need to work on my core strength. Anyone have suggestions.

Good luck with the marathon @tarun_yadavA. With all those laps you should treat it like a looong track meet.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks!
    I meant to comment on the pilates @martaindale. Serious core work in there! I went to classes fir a while way back when I was still twice the size I am now. Keep thinking I should get back into that, but I wouldn't want to drop yoga to make time for it, so for now yoga wins.
    @chris_in_cal I was thinking that just this morning during a particular yoga session I hadn't done lately, it felt so easy though I remembered it as a tough one.
    @spl8 definitely work on core, maybe give pilates a go too? What about your shoes? Are they new, or old? Shoes can make a surprising difference ti a lot of things if they're not right for you, or if they're worn out.

I may have a little problem... there's a chance I could win a place at the Seville marathon, but it's on the 19th. If I do, and if I'm unable to convince myself that it would be a terrible terrible terrible idea, my legs could end up really hating me! I would 'Jeff' run-walk and hope to make the 6 hour cut-off time. But, it's a long way and I'm nowhere near marathon ready...
    Talking of the other marathon, @laurz9191 , it's classed as a rural race meaning it's countryside and mostly dirt, some hills but no mountains. It's advertised as having about 550m of elevation, though my coach won it last year and according to his strava it was more like 700. The official profile I found shows 15 hills but the steepest are 5% and the longest ones are about a mile. The cool thing is it runs through the vineyards. Google Sherry marathon to see what I'm on about and why I need to start drinking in preparation lol
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @spl8 Have you looked into chiropractic for your mid-back? My wife and I do weekly sessions and it has helped my back pain tremendously.
    As for form, I have no clue. I try to run how my body lets me instead of being too concerned about form.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,443 Member
    Options
    Same cold rain today. Running late and had to stop to make dinner, so only 7 treadmill miles. I hope I don't wear this thing out 😉

exercise.png
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins my initial vote is no on the marathon this time, train and do the next marathon when you're better prepared. But the disclaimer is this: if the mountain race you're training for is going to take you more than 6 hours of hard exertion to complete, and if it goes ok, and if you can wait and assess your level of readiness/crazy a few days after that race... maybe yes? Maybe you're already set on it though in which case I'll cheer you on either way.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins my initial vote is no on the marathon this time, train and do the next marathon when you're better prepared. But the disclaimer is this: if the mountain race you're training for is going to take you more than 6 hours of hard exertion to complete, and if it goes ok, and if you can wait and assess your level of readiness/crazy a few days after that race... maybe yes? Maybe you're already set on it though in which case I'll cheer you on either way.

My common sense is also no... especially as the longest I've gone recently was 24k (though there was over 1000m of elevation on that). Plus... a week after a race (albeit a C-race that I'm totally treating as a long training run with aid stations and company). I know. It's a disaster waiting to happen.
    If I'm 'unlucky' and win this place I think the last day I can formalise the inscription is Monday, when I'm likely to be sore from Sunday, so that may be enough to stop me! I have a post-race session booked with the evil physio for Wednesday anyway.
    But then the disclaimers are... I would be taking it very very slowly, in fact aiming to get as close to last place as possible, just to say I've conquered the distance. It's said to be the flattest marathon in Europe. I've done over 5 and a quarter hours (albeit 4 months ago) with a lot of hills. It would be so cool!

Having said that, I went out for an hour shake-out this morning and deliberately targeted the pace I'd need, constantly asking myself if I could do that for another 5 hours in a row. 8 out of 10 brain cells said "*kitten* no!"