Nice Idea to stop being tempted

Options

Replies

• LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    For the record. My original comment was not meant with any hateful or rude undertones.
    I was simply stating that it would be more sensible to not purchase said items, if the only other option is to send yourself into a fit of rage and throw things away.

Best case, yeah, you are right, the food just shouldn't be purchased...but, when it comes down to that point that you know you are going to eat the whole tub of ice cream if you take a bite, then you should save yourself the harm and toss it.

The response I would like to make would be... If you know you are the type of person that if you eat a bite of icecream , you are going to eat the entire tub... then you shouldn't buy icecream.

BUT.. since it's assumed I am trying to be rude, I will just not say anything!

LOL...I don't think the rude comment was to you really....And I'm sure most people do just not buy it or whatever.....but there are scenarios that throwing it away would be good....Say if you just started eating clean and your freezer is still full of bad stuff, or you have leftover bad stuff from a kid's party or something, or....well you get the point.....Come on...just agree that in certain cases, throwing it out is a good choice....

Can you tell I hate to lose :):):)
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    To the OP: I've never done this with foods I am tempted by, but I *have* done it with food I just flat out don't want. My boss goes to a lot of working lunch meetings with the hospital administration, and he always brings back a plate with cookies, brownies, etc... for me. At first I would say "no thanks" but he always acted hurt. I know he is doing it just to be nice, so I set it aside and tell him I will save it for later. If I can't find someone to give it to within half an hour, it goes into the trash!

Generally speaking: throwing food away to resist temptation might be ok on occasion, but as an all around diet/weight loss plan its definitely lacking! My goals are to try and develop a healthier relationship with food- and that means cutting out *all* forms of disordered eating. No starving myself, no binging, no purging, no tossing food in the garbage or spraying it with kitchen cleaner, no hiding how much or how little I eat (and I've done all at one point or another)
  • KittyMul
    KittyMul Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I do this quite frequently actually! Usually I don't have food in the house that I know will be a problem for me - but sometimes a little thing called life gets in the way. For instance, recently I bought some cooking chocolate because me and my friends were going to make brownies at the party I was having. I didn't happen, and the next day I found myself hungover and munching through the bag of choc bits. In the bin! I've had people bring a cake over for celebrations and get offended at the suggestion I don't want half a leftover cake. I'm not going to fight about it, so I just bin it after they leave. I don't like cake but people never believe me - this way, they're happy and I'm happy.
  • Gillby
    Gillby Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    A starving, underprivileged child just cried.

perhaps pop the chocolate in an envelope and mail it to said child? :P
  • george_ie_girl
    george_ie_girl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Haha I've done that - bought a can of pepsi max as a treat, had it in the fridge for a while - really wanted it one day so I opened it, was about to take a sip and then realized I didn't need it - so poured it down the drain. Felt great after!

Don't worry about the negativity on here - if it's already been bought (there are many reasons of why it would have been purchased in the first place - such as for guests, parties, as a treat for yourself etc.) the best thing is to chuck it out! Well done!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Or...you could spray some windex on it

:happy:
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Yes, not buying it in the first place is the best option. But if it is already purchased throwing it away is a better option than eating it. Not everyone lives near a food bank and even those who do can't donate it at 11pm on Friday when that mad craving strikes. If the person could resist the temptation until they could eventually donate it then it wouldn't be an issue. But it sounds like for those who do throw it away their options at that moment are eat it or toss it. Regardless of which they choose it's a waste and no starving child gets fed.

I grew up with the whole "Don't waste food" bit. I wasn't fat until I had my first child at 27. I'm just now realizing that "don't waste food" is really a pretty stupid saying. How can it possibly be better to eat something I don't need that is going to keep me fat and unhealthy then to just throw it away?

Not buying something isn't always an option either. It's also not always junk food that people are eating. As a mom if I make lunch for my family and my son decides to leave a strip of bacon on his plate that whole "don't waste food" bit made me think I should eat it rather than wasting it by throwing it away. It took a long time but I finally learned that it's nt wasting it to throw it in the bin instead of throwing it in my stomach. I am not a human garbage disposal and I need to stop treating my body like one.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm going to join in. A while back I was really really addicted to Coca Cola. I had been trying so hard to give it up over the past 3 or so days so was craving it majorly, and so in a moment of weakness I went down to the store a brought a bottle of it. It's so cheap here it's $1.25 for 2.5 Litres. When I had driven home I looked at the bottle of coke and suddenly felt really disgusted with myself. I knew if I started it I would want the whole lot, and the sugar would turn straight to fat. So knowing I wouldn't drive all the way back to the shop that day I immediately poured the whole lot down the sink. I felt so empowered after doing so too and was immediately able to put any thought of more coke out of my mind for the next few days.
  • Bahet
    Options
    Here's a good example of throwing something out. I had a jar of hoisin sauce in the cupboard. I made a stir fry chicken yesterday. I misread the label and thought it had 11 mg of salt/serving. Turns out that was the carbs. It actually has 580 mg/serving. Into the trash it goes. I can't donate an opened jar. Is it really better to eat something with that much sodium than to just throw it away? I can't imagine why anyone would think that. Yes, it's a waste of money to throw it away. It's a waste of the health of myself and my family to eat it. So now it becomes which is more important - the health of myself and my family or the $2 worth of sauce left in the jar. It's a no brainer for me.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Here's a good example of throwing something out. I had a jar of hoisin sauce in the cupboard. I made a stir fry chicken yesterday. I misread the label and thought it had 11 mg of salt/serving. Turns out that was the carbs. It actually has 580 mg/serving. Into the trash it goes. I can't donate an opened jar. Is it really better to eat something with that much sodium than to just throw it away? I can't imagine why anyone would think that. Yes, it's a waste of money to throw it away. It's a waste of the health of myself and my family to eat it. So now it becomes which is more important - the health of myself and my family or the $2 worth os sauce left in the jar. It's a no brainer for me.

unless you suffer from hypertension going over in sodium isn't that big of a deal...
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Just eat that snack you craved, and account for the calories.

Do people have so little willpower and self control they have to actually throw things out rather than simply working out the calorie count, and seeing if they can fit it into they daily intake?
  • Bahet
    Options
    @ acg:

I don't. BUT I'm 41, obese, and my family has a history of heart disease. It would be stupid to knowingly and intentionally injest that much sodium.
  • Bahet
    Options

Do people have so little willpower and self control they have to actually throw things out rather than simply working out the calorie count, and seeing if they can fit it into they daily intake?
    Why is it so much worse to throw something in the trash than to throw it on your hips? We are not human garbage disposals and need to stop treating ourselves as such. I am just starting out here. I am shopping healthier and eating healthier. Why is it such a bad thing to throw out that half eaten bag of Cheetos that no one else in the family wants than to eat it? Why is it better to put that crap in your body than to put it in the trash? The money is already spent. You can't get it back. So now you have to decide what to do with the item.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    interestingly enough there is some research that is questioning the link between sodium and CVD

Fatal and Nonfatal Outcomes, Incidence of Hypertension, and Blood Pressure Changes in Relation to Urinary Sodium Excretion

Conclusions: In this population-based cohort, systolic blood pressure, but not diastolic pressure, changes over time aligned with change in sodium excretion, but this association did not translate into a higher risk of hypertension or CVD complications. Lower sodium excretion was associated with higher CVD mortality.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    What? So you buy it, take it home and then throw it away?

Exactly. Like lottery tickets.

OMG SoOOOOOO True! I love that!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

Why is it so much worse to throw something in the trash than to throw it on your hips? We are not human garbage disposals and need to stop treating ourselves as such. I am just starting out here. I am shopping healthier and eating healthier. Why is it such a bad thing to throw out that half eaten bag of Cheetos that no one else in the family wants than to eat it? Why is it better to put that crap in your body than to put it in the trash? The money is already spent. You can't get it back. So now you have to decide what to do with the item.

Yes, you cant get the money back. So why not actually enjoy it? It wont go on the hips if you account for the calories, and keep a deficit! I dont eat used tea bags etc, so im no garbage disposal. I just eat the things i enjoy, and keep my calories in check. It's really not that hard. This isn't about half a bag of soggy cheetohs. It's about "bad" food in general, i.e. food that is perfectly palatable, that you are about to eat. OP said to bin it. I say if you're wanting it, which you clearly are, eat it, log the calories, and keep the day in check.
  • Quarantined
    Options
    This isn't about half a bag of soggy cheetohs. It's about "bad" food in general, i.e. food that is perfectly palatable, that you are about to eat. OP said to bin it. I say if you're wanting it, which you clearly are, eat it, log the calories, and keep the day in check.

Agreed!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    IMO the best way to not be tempted is eat what tempts you in the first place. You can eat what you want and still lose weight and still have good health. You just have to account for the calories daily.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    As a mother of two little guys I am always tempted to eat their left overs, so a friend of mine taught me a trick, spray whatever is left with windex!! You won't touch it after that. Another WW trick, brush your teeth, won't taste so good after that.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I'd pull a George and just eat it out of the bin later. It wasn't down it, it was sort of on top.