Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Carnivore diet

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,988 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    fionas4 wrote: »
    my mistake - Atkins died of a fall. I will continue to believe his arteries were messed up due to excessive meat consumption though. (And yes, while I can see so conclusive proof of HIS failed arteries, my opinion is based upon studies that show excessive meat consumption is failing us as a society in our quest to be healthy).

I agree that moving to a low-carb / ketogenic diet does have health benefits , however these are benefits related to the good that comes out of losing weight, and exercising on a regular basis. Following a high-consumption meat based diet (low carb/keto/carnivore, call it what you want), long-term will be causal in cholesterol-related issues.

There's been a campaign and agenda to remove meat from the diet that goes back to the McGovern report in 1977 and can't really blame the average person in believing what you believe and it's plain to see the emotional attachment and also feel the need to defend that stance and if there was actual science that supported the hypothesis that saturated fat and cholesterol is the cause of heart disease, trust me, I would have found it and the funny thing is, there never was any so called science in 77 and many scientists at that time spoke their mind, but it was a time where intervention appeared to take precedent over debate. It appears beef is the designated escape goat and I'm still trying to figure out why the saturated fat and cholesterol is different in beef to all other meat sources. The last question was rhetorical by the way. Somebody has to defend meat consumption, don't they, or is that somehow looked down upon where even defending or debating it is somehow an issue. Because if it is, it's no longer science and has elevated it's status, to dogma, which is not good. cheers.
  • ghrmj
    ghrmj Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    my mistake - Atkins died of a fall. I will continue to believe his arteries were messed up due to excessive meat consumption though. (And yes, while I can see so conclusive proof of HIS failed arteries, my opinion is based upon studies that show excessive meat consumption is failing us as a society in our quest to be healthy).

I agree that moving to a low-carb / ketogenic diet does have health benefits , however these are benefits related to the good that comes out of losing weight, and exercising on a regular basis. Following a high-consumption meat based diet (low carb/keto/carnivore, call it what you want), long-term will be causal in cholesterol-related issues.

There's been a campaign and agenda to remove meat from the diet that goes back to the McGovern report in 1977 and can't really blame the average person in believing what you believe and it's plain to see the emotional attachment and also feel the need to defend that stance and if there was actual science that supported the hypothesis that saturated fat and cholesterol is the cause of heart disease, trust me, I would have found it and the funny thing is, there never was any so called science in 77 and many scientists at that time spoke their mind, but it was a time where intervention appeared to take precedent over debate. It appears beef is the designated escape goat and I'm still trying to figure out why the saturated fat and cholesterol is different in beef to all other meat sources. The last question was rhetorical by the way. Somebody has to defend meat consumption, don't they, or is that somehow looked down upon where even defending or debating it is somehow an issue. Because if it is, it's no longer science and has elevated it's status, to dogma, which is not good. cheers.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2759737

"The study found that people who ate two servings per week of red meat or processed meat had a 3% to 7% higher risk (respectively) of cardiovascular disease, including heart attack and stroke, and a 3% higher risk of death from all causes."

There are loads of articles/studies like this online. Is this "actual science"? Or something else in your opinion?

I don't eat red or processed meat so it doesn't matter to me, I'm just curious/neutral on the subject. What do you believe the "agenda" is?

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    ghrmj wrote: »

"The study found that people who ate two servings per week of red meat or processed meat had a 3% to 7% higher risk (respectively) of cardiovascular disease, including heart attack and stroke, and a 3% higher risk of death from all causes."

There are loads of articles/studies like this online. Is this "actual science"? Or something else in your opinion?

I don't eat red or processed meat so it doesn't matter to me, I'm just curious/neutral on the subject. What do you believe the "agenda" is?

Two major problems with that study (and with most of the studies of the sort):
    1. It is based on food questionnaires which are notoriously inaccurate
    2. It can establish correlation but it cannot establish causation - i.e. we noticed that people who eat red meat die sooner, but the study cannot show that the consumption of the red meat caused them to die sooner (they cannot exclude other life factors that could also contribute to the early death).
  • ghrmj
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

2. It can establish correlation but it cannot establish causation - i.e. we noticed that people who eat red meat die sooner, but the study cannot show that the consumption of the red meat caused them to die sooner (they cannot exclude other life factors that could also contribute to the early death).

1. Do you think that a food survey regarding how many servings of meat one eats in general would be that inaccurate though? I am guessing that they aren't asking for specifics but rather a general pattern of eating - I imagine most people would know if they generally eat two or more servings of meat per week.

2. OK I'm not a statistician but it looked to me from a quick read that they accounted for other lifestyle factors in the analysis and still ended up with a negative association. Maybe I'm reading that wrong.
  • neanderthin
    edited February 2023
    Options

Yeah exactly, plus when there's an inference to risk a controlled study is required, which these, as you pointed out, are not. Also, the risks in these studies are called relative risk, as opposed to absolute risk, which is a totally different measurement.

For example, if the actual absolute risk of someone getting say, bowel cancer in their lifetime represents a 1 in 100 chance or 1% and a study found a 20% increase in risk from eating red meat, it means the absolute risk to that one person is now 1.20%, basically insignificant, so you can see what 3 to 7% would mean especially in this type of study which actually never conducted a controlled study for bowel cancer. Statin manufacturers are famous for this. Most research scientists understand this and because epidemiology have so many confounders attached to these studies they pretty much discount anything under a 200% increase in risk before they even take notice. Smoking and the connection to cancer is the only one that ever came to be true and the RR was 4000% or there about. Makes great media headlines though. cheers
  • ghrmj
    Options

Yeah exactly, plus when there's an inference to risk a controlled study is required, which these, as you pointed out, are not. Also, the risks in these studies are called relative risk, as opposed to absolute risk, which is a totally different measurement.

For example, if the actual absolute risk of someone getting say, bowel cancer in their lifetime represents a 1 in 100 chance or 1% and a study found a 20% increase in risk from eating red meat, it means the absolute risk to that one person is now 1.20%, basically insignificant, so you can see what 3 to 7% would mean especially in this type of study which actually never conducted a controlled study for bowel cancer. Statin manufacturers are famous for this. makes great media headlines though. cheers

Not sure if this is directed at me - but yeah I know what relative vs absolute risk is. :smile:

This does answer my question regarding the "agenda" belief though.

Cheers
  • siberiantarragon
    siberiantarragon Posts: 265 Member
    Options

Yes, I'm sure the country with the highest meat consumption per capita is in danger of becoming totally vegetarian.

• neanderthin
    edited February 2023
    Options

Yes, I'm sure the country with the highest meat consumption per capita is in danger of becoming totally vegetarian.

Don't think any country is in danger of becoming vegetarian. Cheers.
  • siberiantarragon
    edited February 2023
    Options

Which is why you're freaking out over some supposed government conspiracy "to remove meat from the diet." Yeah the government definitely is trying "to remove meat from the diet," that's why meat consumption per capita in the U.S. increased by 40% between 1961 and 2017.

https://sentientmedia.org/meat-consumption-in-the-us/
  • neanderthin
    edited February 2023
    Options

Which is why you're freaking out over some supposed government conspiracy "to remove meat from the diet." Yeah the government definitely is trying "to remove meat from the diet," that's why meat consumption per capita in the U.S. increased by 40% between 1961 and 2017.

https://sentientmedia.org/meat-consumption-in-the-us/

I know the "I gotcha moment is alluring", but I would suggest you investigate your claim a little further and also vet your source, would be my advice. I also said it was red meat that was the focus. I'm also not freaking out lol, cheers.
  • siberiantarragon
    Options
    I know the "I gotcha moment is alluring", but I would suggest you investigate your claim a little further and also vet your source, would be my advice. I also said it was red meat that was the focus. I'm also not freaking out lol, cheers.

Nope, you said "remove meat from the diet." If you can find any sources indicating US meat consumption has gone down in the past few decades post them here.

• neanderthin
    Options

Nope, you said "remove meat from the diet." If you can find any sources indicating US meat consumption has gone down in the past few decades post them here.

Your right and I stand corrected, I did say meat and I was being a little hyperbolic and should have just focused on red meat, which is what I really meant, and to a lesser degree most products coming from the animal kingdom. Total meat consumption is up slightly almost level really over 40 years . Red meat like beef, lamb and goat is down and chicken consumption has basically made up for that trend. Cheers.

z2oro7rk5at4.png

tqk8yw8cw15v.png

https://pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/12/13/whats-on-your-table-how-americas-diet-has-changed-over-the-decades/

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,404 Member
    Options

Your right and I stand corrected, I did say meat and I was being a little hyperbolic and should have just focused on red meat, which is what I really meant, and to a lesser degree most products coming from the animal kingdom. Total meat consumption is up slightly almost level really over 40 years . Red meat like beef, lamb and goat is down and chicken consumption has basically made up for that trend. Cheers.

z2oro7rk5at4.png

tqk8yw8cw15v.png

https://pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/12/13/whats-on-your-table-how-americas-diet-has-changed-over-the-decades/

It doesn't have to be the whole animal kingdom. At some point, we'll get less squeamish about eating an under-utilized form of meat that would be much better for us and for all the organisms that share our planet.
  • neanderthin
    edited February 2023
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

z2oro7rk5at4.png

tqk8yw8cw15v.png

It doesn't have to be the whole animal kingdom. At some point, we'll get less squeamish about eating an under-utilized form of meat that would be much better for us and for all the organisms that share our planet.

If you dabble in the stock market which I do, emerging markets like this one it's one to watch. Yeah, no doubt about it and actually there's a decent percentage of people that consume bugs regularly but it's been a long tradition for them and like you say it's probably a pretty big ask for westerners. Personally I've consumed a few bugs in Thailand and India and in the moment they were ok, lol but not something I'm going to get the duck fat out for anytime soon. Cheers
  • siberiantarragon
    Options

Both the figures you posted are misleading. The first figure only shows beef and chicken. The second figure talks about meat consumption as a factor of calories. Types and cuts of meat vary a lot in calories and if people are eating less red meat and more poultry you would assume that total calories would go down even if total volume went up.

I just don't see the point. I can't imagine they taste very good so what's the appeal of eating them?
  • neanderthin
    Options

Both the figures you posted are misleading. The first figure only shows beef and chicken. The second figure talks about meat consumption as a factor of calories. Types and cuts of meat vary a lot in calories and if people are eating less red meat and more poultry you would assume that total calories would go down even if total volume went up.

I just don't see the point. I can't imagine they taste very good so what's the appeal of eating them?

It's USDA data, take it up with them.
  • siberiantarragon
    Options
    Anyway getting away from vegetarian conspiracies or whatever, my question for carnivores is, is it really worth it to not enjoy such a fundamental aspect of the human experience? I mean, meat is so boring. You can't enjoy the cuisines of the world, you can't go out to a restaurant (except for a steakhouse I guess, but even then you can't have any of the sides or sauces or drinks or dessert, just meat), you can't really travel. You can't have a nice piece of chocolate at the end of the day or a nice comforting bowl of pasta (as an Italian-American I find that to be horrifying!) You can't even have a piece of fruit if you want something sweet. Your grocery bills must be astronomical. I mean is it really worth it? Do you really think you're going to get that many extra years of life or lose that much more weight?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Anyway getting away from vegetarian conspiracies or whatever, my question for carnivores is, is it really worth it to not enjoy such a fundamental aspect of the human experience? I mean, meat is so boring. You can't enjoy the cuisines of the world, you can't go out to a restaurant (except for a steakhouse I guess, but even then you can't have any of the sides or sauces or drinks or dessert, just meat), you can't really travel. You can't have a nice piece of chocolate at the end of the day or a nice comforting bowl of pasta (as an Italian-American I find that to be horrifying!) You can't even have a piece of fruit if you want something sweet. Your grocery bills must be astronomical. I mean is it really worth it? Do you really think you're going to get that many extra years of life or lose that much more weight?

The sense I get from posters here who have been on carnivore for some time is that they are doing it not so much for weight loss but because it relieves health conditions. The following post from page 1 on this thread is typical of what I mean:
    Hello, Carnivore community!
    I Love how I feel for the first time in ALL my life. Since July of 2022, I decided to fully commit. With the exception of a Christmas party food nibble, which I wholly regret, I have no more bathroom issues since childhood, stomach issues, no more bloating, gas, heartburn, joint problems, random bouts of feeling unwell...I now have mental clarity, cleaner teeth, etc...I could go on and on. Why would I want to go back?! My typical day is bacon in the morning with coffee and whipping cream and meat in the afternoon. Tea with stevia throughout the day. It has changed my life for the better.
    My YouTube go-to’s are Dr Sean Baker, Kelly Hogan, Dr. Ken Berry, Laura Spath.
    Don’t knock it until you try it.
    It’s a lifestyle for me. And weight loss was a
    PLUS!
  • neanderthin
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

The sense I get from posters here who have been on carnivore for some time is that they are doing it not so much for weight loss but because it relieves health conditions. The following post from page 1 on this thread is typical of what I mean:
    Hello, Carnivore community!
    I Love how I feel for the first time in ALL my life. Since July of 2022, I decided to fully commit. With the exception of a Christmas party food nibble, which I wholly regret, I have no more bathroom issues since childhood, stomach issues, no more bloating, gas, heartburn, joint problems, random bouts of feeling unwell...I now have mental clarity, cleaner teeth, etc...I could go on and on. Why would I want to go back?! My typical day is bacon in the morning with coffee and whipping cream and meat in the afternoon. Tea with stevia throughout the day. It has changed my life for the better.
    My YouTube go-to’s are Dr Sean Baker, Kelly Hogan, Dr. Ken Berry, Laura Spath.
    Don’t knock it until you try it.
    It’s a lifestyle for me. And weight loss was a
    PLUS!

Yeah, generally it's a journey that takes people to carnivore. Here's a good example.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N39o_DI5laI&t=1s