PCOS and eating 1800-2200 Cals? Add me!

Options
Calling all ladies experiencing PCOS and eating 1800-2200 cals a day!

I am hoping to support each other and share diaries. Please feel free to add me!

Extra credit - What’s your go-to lunch?

Replies

• siberiantarragon
    siberiantarragon Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Added you! The original intent when I started MFP again was to eat a low-glycemic diet to manage PCOS because I had good results with that last summer. My acne cleared up and even my periods were less horrible. However that has been sort of a failure because a lot has been going on the past several weeks. Hoping to get back to it soon in earnest and just trying to eat as healthily as I can in the meantime.

As for go-to lunch, honestly I usually only eat breakfast and dinner because I forget to eat. Eating three meals a day is also another goal that I've been trying to adhere to. Today for lunch I had leftover pasta salad (tricolor rotini, chickpeas, various fresh vegetables, Parmesan, ACV, and seasonings -- even regular pasta is pretty low GI but you could make it even lower GI by substituting whole-wheat pasta). It only takes about 15 minutes to make so that's a good option. For a while last summer I was having Mission Carb Balance wraps with hummus, cheese, and fresh vegetables like zucchini, bell pepper, or tomato. I also sometimes like to have tuna, salmon, or egg salad on whole-wheat toast (could also be on Carb Balance wraps). And I often have the Amy's low-sodium canned soups with healthy crackers or with one of the previously described sandwiches.
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    ninalondon wrote: »
    Calling all ladies experiencing PCOS and eating 1800-2200 cals a day!

I am hoping to support each other and share diaries. Please feel free to add me!

Extra credit - What’s your go-to lunch?

I don’t have pcos anymore but when I started this journey 4 yrs ago I had pcos, insulin resistance and high cholesterol with borderline high blood pressure. All of the things listed above I no longer have. It’s actually quite amazing what can be achieved with mostly diet alone. I still have thyroid disease but that’s next to conquer in the list. I’ll send you a friends request.

• NC_Gardener
    NC_Gardener Posts: 20 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    (quote removed by staff)

What is funny? PCOS stands for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. It has hormonal consequences severe enough to affect fertility and grow male facial hair. One of the hormones it affects is insulin. The Glycemic Index can be very helpful for people who have insulin problems, like diabetics, etc, for obvious reasons.

OP, I have PCOS, or did until perimenopause recently. I did do better with lower glycemic foods. What I mostly do in real life is eat and then do activity right away, because exercise lowers the blood glucose. So I'm a bad example, because I eat a ton of carbs, lol!

Metformin definitely helps.

I'm still pre-diabetic, but just barely. It's worth it for dessert 😉 See, I'm a terrible influence!! You're not supposed to do it that way! If there were ever a time for low carbs, diabetes is it.