I don't think I'm eating enough.

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,642 Member
    Options
    Knowing when I was hungry was not really a thing for me when I started on MFP. That took a while to sink in.

What also took a while to sink in was that after weight loss and a good while of managing eating by MFP/Fitbit/and scale it became remarkably clear that I DID know when I was hungry.

And, of course, I remain perfectly capable of overeating, whether hungry or not.
  • hoodlisa1979
    hoodlisa1979 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm also on a 1200 calorie a day as I wish to lose 2lb a week, I was very inactive like yourself but now do 100 mins of walking a day & some resistance band training to keep some upper body strength, I'm on week 5 and yes sometimes I get hungry especially of an evening but I stave it off with a handful of nuts (I save some exercise calories specifically for this reason) I advise using a BMR calculator to work out how many calories you need per day, if the numbers are to be believed I have a deficit of 800 cals per day, last week I'd lost 1kg but have had a week of no loss, I weigh weekly so its more difficult to work out, take a good look at your nutrition i see you are meeting macros but with what kind of foods? oats and bulgar wheat are my friends but I weigh everything to ensure I'm not going over the top, a typical day food wise is overnight oats topped with fruit, homemade squash & sweet potato soup, salmon & bulgar pilaf with greens, piece of fruit & handful of nuts. Feeling hungry is definitely a thing but if you are getting the right nutrition it subsides, don't go at it too heavy you need to be able to see this through long term, all the best
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    You need to embrace a certain amount of hunger. Your body is telling you that it doesn’t want to tap into fat stores and you’re telling it to shut the hell up, you’ll get nothing and like it. Provided the deficit isn’t too large, the hunger will subside in time. Each time you lower calories it’ll happen.

People don’t like hunger hence why some will never lose weight. Food choice will greatly alleviate the problem.

I disagree.

You may or may not need to cope with some degree of hunger but this idea that it is an essential part of weight loss - no it isnt.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    You need to embrace a certain amount of hunger. Your body is telling you that it doesn’t want to tap into fat stores and you’re telling it to shut the hell up, you’ll get nothing and like it. Provided the deficit isn’t too large, the hunger will subside in time. Each time you lower calories it’ll happen.

People don’t like hunger hence why some will never lose weight. Food choice will greatly alleviate the problem.

I disagree.

You may or may not need to cope with some degree of hunger but this idea that it is an essential part of weight loss - no it isnt.
    I would disagree but you’re entitled to your opinion. As you have less and less fat, hunger is what keeps people from continuing to progress otherwise everyone would be lean.

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

I disagree.

I would disagree but you’re entitled to your opinion. As you have less and less fat, hunger is what keeps people from continuing to progress otherwise everyone would be lean.

I might disagree. Part of managing ones diet is to figure out what keeps you full. The other part is expectations. If you have little left to lose then you can't expect to lose at a high rate. It will be slow.

Your name indicates you're a bodybuilder? Then things might be different if you want to get into competitive shape. But TO is a woman who will never have such a low fat percentage, and, based on the bit she wrote not a competitive sports person where every bit of fat is a negative aspect but just an average person. So I guess we should be using average person assumptions.
    there are factors to consider. The lower the BF% the more hunger has a chance of being a factor along with deficit size and activity.

Food choice is always a factor, however at some point there just may not be enough calories available to stave off some level of hunger. Hunger not meaning a constant state as it’s generally just at certain times. Everyone has a different “set point” of what the body will and won’t allow which will dictate what will be possible, so yes many factors…..

• LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    stianjl wrote: »
    1200 seems too low whatever goal you have. It all depends on your goal but eat when you feel hungry. Eat healthy, drink alot of water, eat alot of proteins and adjust carbs and fat depending on your goal. 1200 MIGHT be the right number if you on the last week before fitness contest. Add me if you want more help :)

So we don't trust MFP? It's not accurate? Why bother with it then?
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    1200 seems too low whatever goal you have. It all depends on your goal but eat when you feel hungry. Eat healthy, drink alot of water, eat alot of proteins and adjust carbs and fat depending on your goal. 1200 MIGHT be the right number if you on the last week before fitness contest. Add me if you want more help :)

I trust MFP. It can be inaccurate for some, and that's why it's important to log completely and honestly and then over time make sure results match expectations.

It seems @stianjl is new to MFP and is on a flurry of posting for some reason. Their goals may not match many users here; @stianjl is trying to build bulk, especially legs. Many users are trying to lose weight.

The OP @aprilgranier asked about a week ago about their calorie goal and thinking it might not be enough after just a few days on MFP. We haven't heard back from them as to how things have gone this week or what changes may or may not have been made in their calorie goal or how they approach it.

Remember; we're all just random internet strangers, and our advice is worth every penny paid for it. Let me know where to send my bill....😂 🤣
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options

Did you read anything other people have said? Ok, again just for you: The calorie goal someone is given depends on gender & age & weight & size & most importantly the chosen weightloss goal. MFP won't go below 1200. If you get 1200 then in pretty much all cases it means your weightloss goal is too agressive.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

I disagree.

I might disagree. Part of managing ones diet is to figure out what keeps you full. The other part is expectations. If you have little left to lose then you can't expect to lose at a high rate. It will be slow.

Your name indicates you're a bodybuilder? Then things might be different if you want to get into competitive shape. But TO is a woman who will never have such a low fat percentage, and, based on the bit she wrote not a competitive sports person where every bit of fat is a negative aspect but just an average person. So I guess we should be using average person assumptions.
    there are factors to consider. The lower the BF% the more hunger has a chance of being a factor along with deficit size and activity.

Food choice is always a factor, however at some point there just may not be enough calories available to stave off some level of hunger. Hunger not meaning a constant state as it’s generally just at certain times. Everyone has a different “set point” of what the body will and won’t allow which will dictate what will be possible, so yes many factors…..

I disagree with most of this.

Food choices have a HUGE impact on perceived hunger. So do habits. What many often perceive as "hunger" isn't true hunger. It's a feeling sometimes based on the body expecting something it is used to having - a snack and such-and-such time. It can take a little while to retrain the body not to expect that. It's not always easy to do, and fortunately it doesn't take TOO long. So even if you do struggle with some hunger for snacks you're accustomed to having, if you can see the bigger picture and just put up with a little "empty feeling" (I don't call that the same as hunger) for a week or two, it very well may reduce on its own. You can also use fiber-rich foods or foods with some healthy fats and protein to make your body feel fuller to get through this stage. After that, you may still have some work to do.

I think our brains are amazing organs. They can give us signals based on hormones and also from habits. If you make the effort to change the habits, the brain will accept it. It's worth a try.

Brains are weird. Like really weird. The hormone issue, some research suggests, is not just "hormones influence thought patterns and feelings" but also the reverse channel, "thought patterns and feelings influence hormones".

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21574706/

Perhaps some of that is behind the idea of the brain giving signals based on habits.

Expectations and mindset are a huge factor IMO. They don't just influence our thoughts, they influence our physiology. More generally, there's reasonably good evidence that the placebo effect is not "all in our minds", but actually in our bodies, physiologically, via our expectations.

No, I don't believe we can "just think" and manifest any or every response we might like. Not saying that. But thoughts (mindset) influencing physiology in subtle ways is part of the big picture, in a way that many under-appreciate IMO.

Betcha mindset influences perceived hunger. Because in that study, it did.

• LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

Did you read anything other people have said? Ok, again just for you: The calorie goal someone is given depends on gender & age & weight & size & most importantly the chosen weightloss goal. MFP won't go below 1200. If you get 1200 then in pretty much all cases it means your weightloss goal is too agressive.

Again, JUST FOR YOU: Did YOU read what I quoted? The person I quoted said 1200 calories "MIGHT be the right number if you on the last week before fitness contest." They also said, "1200 seems too low whatever goal you have." So stianjl thinks they know more than the MFP calculator. The best part is the have been here for 12 days now.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    If you are a petite sedentary female and not very, very overweight, the lowest setting of 0.5 lb/week may also default to 1200 (*NET*).. When I started on here, I think 1200 net calories corresponded to an estimate of ~0.3 lb/week at my stats.

ETA: Note: MFP does report what it calculates as the estimated loss/week when it spits out that 1200 calorie goal.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I disagree.

Food choices have a HUGE impact on perceived hunger. So do habits. What many often perceive as "hunger" isn't true hunger. It's a feeling sometimes based on the body expecting something it is used to having - a snack and such-and-such time. It can take a little while to retrain the body not to expect that. It's not always easy to do, and fortunately it doesn't take TOO long. So even if you do struggle with some hunger for snacks you're accustomed to having, if you can see the bigger picture and just put up with a little "empty feeling" (I don't call that the same as hunger) for a week or two, it very well may reduce on its own. You can also use fiber-rich foods or foods with some healthy fats and protein to make your body feel fuller to get through this stage. After that, you may still have some work to do.

I think our brains are amazing organs. They can give us signals based on hormones and also from habits. If you make the effort to change the habits, the brain will accept it. It's worth a try.

Brains are weird. Like really weird. The hormone issue, some research suggests, is not just "hormones influence thought patterns and feelings" but also the reverse channel, "thought patterns and feelings influence hormones".

Perhaps some of that is behind the idea of the brain giving signals based on habits.

Expectations and mindset are a huge factor IMO. They don't just influence our thoughts, they influence our physiology. More generally, there's reasonably good evidence that the placebo effect is not "all in our minds", but actually in our bodies, physiologically, via our expectations.

No, I don't believe we can "just think" and manifest any or every response we might like. Not saying that. But thoughts (mindset) influencing physiology in subtle ways is part of the big picture, in a way that many under-appreciate IMO.

^^That study - hey, another vote for food addiction/compulsion being a real thing. :wink:

I love it when the naysayers themselves find and post research disputing their own stance.

*edit: also, this is a drive-by post. I have no intention of getting into yet another discussion about the thirteenth sentence in a 1000 sentence research study that may be ambiguous to someone. I'm not playing the turtles-all-the-way-down game today.

I won't be defending this post: been there, done that for over a decade. Ya'll can argue among yourselves, or maybe just let it go (heh, even though I didn't.) :)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

I disagree.

^^That study - hey, another vote for food addiction/compulsion being a real thing. :wink:

I love it when the naysayers themselves find and post research disputing their own stance.

*edit: also, this is a drive-by post. I have no intention of getting into yet another discussion about the thirteenth sentence in a 1000 sentence research study that may be ambiguous to someone. I'm not playing the turtles-all-the-way-down game today.

I won't be defending this post: been there, done that for over a decade. Ya'll can argue among yourselves, or maybe just let it go (heh, even though I didn't.) :)

:D:D
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options

I disagree.

Food addiction seems like a digression, in this thread. 🤷‍♀️

My main point is that mindset is really important, all-the-way-down. This particular point is IMO relevant to the OP. OP is hungry, thinks she's not eating enough. Decent odds she's not eating enough, though she hasn't been back to answer some folks' questions.

If she is eating enough (counter to my bet), then experimenting with eating timing/foods may be helpful, mindset may have an influence via habits or expectation, or it may simply be a temporary problem of adaptation.

To the bolded:

I didn't bring up addiction. But now that it's here, FWIW, I wouldn't call myself a naysayer. The most recent addiction thread has brought me around, somewhat. I still think it can matter - pretty much for reasons I think the study might support - how the "addiction" framing affects the individual, either as empowering (because addiction can be treated/remediated) or disempowering (because they feel helpless in the force of the situation).

I know you're not reading/defending, but my impression in the past - perhaps incorrect - is that you don't like it when other people tell you what you think. Most people don't like that, probably.
  • sjl0210
    sjl0210 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

Every body is different, so its too hard to make a accurate calculator. MFP gives you numbers based on what you provide MFP. Eating less to lose weight isnt always the answer. But you need to watch your macros. Eating healthy and have a healthy lifestyle is the answer. I use MFP to track meals and I put custom numbers in my macros in MFP, so I dont really follow the MFP calculator. :)