New here

Hello,
Today is my first day using myfitnesspal. The app itself is cool looking forward to seeing my progress. I’m giving it a try because the last 1yr and a half have been pretty crazy for me. Due to health issues losing weight has seemed pretty difficult. I haven’t been as active as I would like and I would just like to learn to eat more healthy. I’m usually very slim so having this weight on me is very hard to get used to. I am not comfortable physically/mentally. I will reach my goal hopefully. So will you :)

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 14,101 Member
    Welcome to the community!

What goals are you setting for yourself to succeed?
  • Thanks and I am working on being more active. I wasn’t able to be due to my health so slowly working on getting back to that. Watching my sugar intake and wanting to learn to make healthier choices. My goal is to lose 40-60 lbs all together. I’m trying to learn how to I’ve never had to lose weoght before or watch my weight so it’s a challenge.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 14,101 Member
    I'll offer a few tips I keep offering:
    • Plan to go slow. If you are trying to lose weight, remember you didn't gain it in a month or a year; take the slow route to help assure success. Then it will be easier to maintain when you reach goal.
    • Don't plan any strategies you aren't willing to continue indefinitely. Only do things that are sustainable in the long run.
    • Plan on having a reasonable calorie deficit, on average, each week. Best if you can manage a small deficit each day, but if you miss a day, don't fret. Just keep going forward. Stick to it.
    • Yeah, that's it's own point: STICK TO IT!
    • Set reasonable but challenging goals. Set long-term and short term goals. What are some specific goals you have set for yourself?
    • Check in often. Don't stress if the scale is up for the day. Look over the long term trend; weight loss is not linear. You'll have up and down days. Over time, if you maintain a deficit, you'll trend down.
    • Exercise is very healthy for fitness. It can contribute to a calorie deficit and aid in weight management. You still must manage your food intake to assure a calorie deficit. Logging your food and your activity in MFP will help you get an idea how to slowly adjust your target for success.