"Don't lose any more weight!"

Options
Do people say this to you? I seem to get it a lot, especially from people a bit bigger than me. My BMI is fine (21.3 ish), and I don't think I look underweight at all, so I am guessing it's because they don't want me to be too much thinner than them? Does your weight loss threaten/annoy people who haven't?

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Yes and that is funny because I am still at least 20 pounds overweight, if not 30!:laugh:

Although I appreciate the love from friends, I prefer honesty:flowerforyou:
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    All the time as people don't really have a clue what a healthy body looks like anymore.
    It makes them look lazy when they realize you're doing it, why aren't they?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I've been called "skinny" (not exactly flattering for a guy, especially for a trainer) twice in the last 2 months, regardless of the fact that I haven't dropped a single pound in the last year (this is on purpose, I'm actually looking to gain a little muscle mass), which, I'm thinking is similar.

You do what you like my dear, you know how it works. People can be petty, 90% of stuff people tell you has an ulterior motive behind it.
  • SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    The person who says it to me the most is my boyfriend!!!
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who lost over 17kg, that's 37lb. All her family and a few of her larger friends started getting worried and telling her to eat more. except that she was still in the higher range of a healthy BMI and she could have lost another 5kg and still looked healthy.

people who are jealous and people who don't understand weight loss and healthy eating will always start discouraging you at a certain point. you know your body and you know your BMI, so you know if you're getting to an unhealthy weight. ignore them and continue with your healthy eating and lifestyle. if you're really concerned, go and see your doctor but until you have a BMI that is underweight then i would say feel free to ignore these people.
  • melusinagr
    melusinagr Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Happens to me constantly! Mostly from people in the family who were smaller than me and are now bigger. I'm still 7 kilos away from my goal weight, so I just ignore them. I've got tons of lean muscle mass to build too.
  • Do people say this to you? I seem to get it a lot, especially from people a bit bigger than me. My BMI is fine (21.3 ish), and I don't think I look underweight at all, so I am guessing it's because they don't want me to be too much thinner than them? Does your weight loss threaten/annoy people who haven't?

I am about 110lbs and just over 5 foot, I'm trying to get to 102lbs, and everyone moans, yes I'm a size 8 but Im also only 5 foot! In fact my body fat is quite high abut 28% so I know its there to lose! When they say the average UK women is a size 14.....my reply is the average UK women is also ......fat!!

(p.s I used to be a size 14 myself!!!)

Well done on your loss and maybe just reply and saying ''too thin?,,,,funny?....as I feel GREAT!!!''
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    They are just not used to seeing me thin now. I hear it all the time from family members.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I hear it alll the time now....Some ppl are never happy! I just let it roll! :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    The person who says it to me the most is my boyfriend!!!

Yup! I get it most from my husband!
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yep my postie said it on about 3 different occasions and one other person said if I bent over, Id snap. They are both heavier and they both asked how Id lost weight and said they wanted to as well. Im about 5 lb from goal, but would be happy to stay where I am...
  • fteale
    Options
    Do people say this to you? I seem to get it a lot, especially from people a bit bigger than me. My BMI is fine (21.3 ish), and I don't think I look underweight at all, so I am guessing it's because they don't want me to be too much thinner than them? Does your weight loss threaten/annoy people who haven't?

I am about 110lbs and just over 5 foot, I'm trying to get to 102lbs, and everyone moans, yes I'm a size 8 but Im also only 5 foot! In fact my body fat is quite high abut 28% so I know its there to lose! When they say the average UK women is a size 14.....my reply is the average UK women is also ......fat!!

(p.s I used to be a size 14 myself!!!)

Well done on your loss and maybe just reply and saying ''too thin?,,,,funny?....as I feel GREAT!!!''

Thanks! I tend to just say, "Actually, I am bang in the middle of healthy."
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    the average UK women is a size 14.....my reply is the average UK women is also ......fat!!

Maybe if the people were taller, size 14 wouldnt be fat? I dunno. But Id say it is. I am 5-7 and size 14 was precisely where I didnt want to be, for me that was 3 stone over weight.
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    People used to say this all the time to me. Not anymore tho, since I knave maintained for a year now. They are always comparing you to your biggest.... So the change may be drastic. I would say as long as you are a healthy weight and eating healthily, then go with it. :-)
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I haven't had that one yet but I haven't seen my Mum for a couple of months and I am sure she will have something to say- probably something along the lines of not getting too thin at "my age" :huh:
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I am quite often being told im getting too thin and i need to start eating properly.

I just reply with yes, thats what im doing.
  • morenita71
    morenita71 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Just to play devil's advocate - sometimes I think we can get obsessed with an ideal weight we have in our head. Yes I'm sure sometimes it can be jealousy on the part of others but sometimes they may have a point/it might genuinely be their opinion/they might be being nice - watching your weight is hard work and frankly quite boring. Finally as someone who's just turned 40 I know that a bit of extra fat on my face makes me look younger than I am. yes of course i'd rather be healthy than look younger but within a healthy BMI range I'd probably prefer a younger looking face than being right down by the wire. It's what most people (especially our friends and family) see most of. Just my thoughts!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    People love to interject their opinion where they have no cause to do so. If you don't believe me, try and plan a wedding. :D

I would just say "thanks for the advice" and change the subject. I may be unusual in that I loathe it when people make comments about my body so I have gotten good at skirting it. I hate it so much that I think that's the reason I am losing weight so slowly, on purpose. I figure if I drop half a pound to a pound a week, over the course of a year, nobody will notice. I am only kind of kidding.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I've recently been told the same thing, and got only shocked looks when I informed them that I had actually PUT ON weight in muscle mass! :P
  • fteale
    Options
    People love to interject their opinion where they have no cause to do so. If you don't believe me, try and plan a wedding. :D

I would just say "thanks for the advice" and change the subject. I may be unusual in that I loathe it when people make comments about my body so I have gotten good at skirting it. I hate it so much that I think that's the reason I am losing weight so slowly, on purpose. I figure if I drop half a pound to a pound a week, over the course of a year, nobody will notice. I am only kind of kidding.

I am the same. I absolutely hate compliments on my body or on weight loss. It strikes me as really personal and rude. I am always mortified when anyone comments and they do all the time!