Where's the cheese 🧀

Options
adriana38
adriana38 Posts: 3 Member
edited February 2023 in Food and Nutrition
I just started logging and weighing my food this morning and saw how much a serving of cheese was for my omelet 😳 !! Needless to say I am disappointed and rethinking my life choices 🙃

Replies

• LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It's a bit of a shock 😲 when you actually think and see calories I
    And weight
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    How much cheese are you putting in your eggs? I use around a tbsp. or 2 of grated cheese which is 40 to 80 calories and 2 eggs for example is 140 cals, so basically 180 to 220 calories for 2 eggs and cheese, which I guess could be excessive depending on a persons goals, but still pretty tasty for 200 cals. Cheers.
  • drana325
    drana325 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Kraft singles is 50 calories.. i mean it's not real cheese.. but only 50 cals
    Cheddar cracker cuts are 30 calories each.
    Belgiosio 1 oz cheese is 70 calories.

I eat cheese practically everyday.. and I'm still seeing results.

How much cheese are you putting on your omelettes?????

• Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I like a lot of melty cheddar in my eggs and have found that if I buy a really good sharp cheddar, a half ounce shredded finely (almost but not quite) has the same effect.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,621 Member
    Options
    3 eggs, mushrooms, tomato and cheese omelet and life is good. Calories aren’t that high.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering how big that serving is, too. My cheese choices range from around 66-70 calories an ounce at the lower end (not counting cottage cheese) to maybe 125 or so for an ounce of a really indulgent triple cream one. That's worth the calorie cost for the amount of tastiness and nutrition, in my value system. I eat one or more servings on a typical day, too. For some purposes, less than a full ounce is pretty satisfying.

Others tastes may differ, of course.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I’d agree with most here, I find 15g of a good flavourful cheese to be more than enough for an entire omelette.

Even for me, as a short, older female that’s not hard to fit into my calorie goal, not everyday, because I have other things I’d rather eat, but I do cook a cheese and tomato or cheese and spinach omelette from time to time.

For reference, I’m always using a 30% less fat cheese.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I always make room for cheese in my life because it is delightful. That said, I agree with previous posters that with strongly flavored, good cheese, you can get away with using less even if it is a little sad.

I found the same with butter and oil. I'm not willing to give them up, but I do measure them carefully and enjoy every last calorie.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I will ask a different question …what ELSE are you eating and drinking that you feel you don’t have room for something with great taste and decent nutritional value in your calories? Its not likely to be the other omlette ingredients, so what does the rest of the day look like?

On the other hand, you are doing exactly what you should be doing — weighing, logging and then evaluating for yourself what to swap out for other foods that work better for you in terms of providing more pleasure/satiety/nutrition for the calories and macros you are aiming at. So don’t listen to any of us telling you how you can still have cheese if you prefer not to!!!!
  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    drana325 wrote: »
    Kraft singles is 50 calories.. i mean it's not real cheese.. but only 50 cals

How many calories in a slice of Kraft Singles depends on the package size. Slices in a 12 oz package are 3/4oz (60 cal) and slices in a 16 oz package are 2/3oz (50 cal)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    Options
    Consuming real cheese is a pretty low bar and Kraft Singles don't meet that requirement. Eat real cheese. Cheers. :)