Alpha-gal syndrome

Options
I’m just curious if anyone else out there is having trouble managing enough protein with Alpha-gal. I also unfortunately have a fish intolerance as well as oral pollen allergy that prevents me from have fresh/raw fruits, vegetables and nuts. I would love to not have to rely on my vegan protein shake to ensure my required 90g of protein is met. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you supposed to eat, what are your stats and your goal and workouts? Maybe the protein goals from the programme you're following are far too high?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,482 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Never heard of Alpha-Gal but I eat very high protein. I find it satiating, and I work out quite a bit and need it. I shoot for about 170-180grams protein per day.

My diary is open. (Disregard yesterday and today because I’m on an international flight- although I did pack along some jerky and protein bars. Reminds me, gotta eat that jerky before we land!!!)

I eat a lot of boneless skinless chicken, pork tenderloin cuts, and lower calorie beef cuts. I usually make extra of meats- especially grilled ones or crockpot ones like BBQ or taco meats, and eat large servings on salads or in wraps.

I get additional protein via cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, and a skyr ice cream I make every night.

A quick snack is often a low carb tortilla with some lettuce and a couple of ounces of ham rolled up in it.

I add Naked whey powder to my pancakes along with lots of egg whites and cottage cheese.

You can make a great smoothie with cottage cheese (or Greek yogurt) and some zero cal simple syrup, a milk (plant or dairy) of your choice and some ice.

All-recipes has a fabulous recipe for No-Fry refried Beans, which is, of course, high protein. We’ve already decided when I get home we’re going to make a pot of beans topped with a sprinkle of that crumbly Mexican cheese and a side salad.

Even a serving of fat free half and half or skim milk in tea or coffee contributes a couple of grams.

After a while, you’ll learn to recognize the sources and manipulate your protein to increase it.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Just for the other posters: alpha-gal syndrome is an allergy to meat, so any meat suggestions are off the table :smile:

I recommend going through this list:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also#latest
    a lot of meat in there obviously, but once you scroll past those, lots of other options.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Poultry, eggs and possibly whey protein. Alpha gal seems to apply to red meat the most and AG can subside apparently, depending on how severe the tick bite was originally and if you get any more bites being in an area where they're common. It looks like anywhere from 4 months to 4 or 5 years before it wears off. I would probably increase my duck consumption if applicable in your situation, one of my favorite proteins. Cheers.

Here's a couple of sites that may help and have a list and examples for proteins.

https://thisalphagallife.com/what-can-i-eat/

https://alphagalinformation.org/food/
  • garita93
    garita93 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    With my alpha-gal diagnosis I can’t have any kind of diary either. Last summer I was bit by chiggers, which also can cause alpha-gal, and can no longer even cook red meat for my family. Inhaling the fumes alone causes an attack. My allergist said my level was one of the highest he had seen.

I live in a very rural area where my options are limited. So obtaining some things are impossible unless I travel over two hours one way.

My macros were set by a nutritionist a few weeks ago for 1200 calories, less than 15 grams of sugar and at least 90 grams of protein. I’m trying to lose 30lbs of the original 60lbs I lost then gained back due to an exercise restriction forcing me to quit Zumba and weight lifting.
  • neanderthin
    edited February 2023
    Options
    garita93 wrote: »
    With my alpha-gal diagnosis I can’t have any kind of diary either. Last summer I was bit by chiggers, which also can cause alpha-gal, and can no longer even cook red meat for my family. Inhaling the fumes alone causes an attack. My allergist said my level was one of the highest he had seen.

I live in a very rural area where my options are limited. So obtaining some things are impossible unless I travel over two hours one way.

My macros were set by a nutritionist a few weeks ago for 1200 calories, less than 15 grams of sugar and at least 90 grams of protein. I’m trying to lose 30lbs of the original 60lbs I lost then gained back due to an exercise restriction forcing me to quit Zumba and weight lifting.

Your allergic to fish, what about bivalves and crustaceans? shrimp by weight has one the highest content for protein.
  • garita93
    Options
    No kind of any fish at all unfortunately since I love fish, it makes me sicker than anything else with just one bite.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Was that caused from Alpha-Gal or another independent allergy, just curious, thanks.
  • garita93
    Options
    My current workout is a mixture since I have restrictions on that too. I walk at least a couple of miles, or do around 12 miles on my incumbent bike, or if I’m having a high inflammation/pain day I will do some sort of yoga, Pilates or stretching. I exercise at least 6 days a week.
  • garita93
    Options
    Was that caused from Alpha-Gal or another independent allergy, just curious, thanks.

It was an allergy prior to the tick bite. I was diagnosed with the alpha-gal (along with other things) just 9 months ago.
  • neanderthin
    edited February 2023
    Options
    garita93 wrote: »

It was an allergy prior to the tick bite. I was diagnosed with the alpha-gal (along with other things) just 9 months ago.

Good luck to you. It would drive me bonkers for sure lol, I'm a dedicated mammalian meat eater. Cheers
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    Oops, I'm sorry; I didn't know this was a medical condition. It does sound like a kick-*kitten* workout programme though <3
  • mnfva1
    mnfva1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do you have any allergies to chickpea based pasta? It’s my go-to with 22g of protein per serving?

I am also allergic to mammal meat but can do poultry so I do eat poultry and ground Turkey a lot.

I know you said you can’t do nuts but what about coconuts (they sometimes aren’t the same as treenut or other nut allergies). I’ve recently discovered a silk brand Greek coconut yogurt (no dairy) that has 10g of protein.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,482 Member
    Options
    Sorry! 😚

I just assumed Alpha Gal was the newest, grooviest, sure fire uber trendy diet plan.

Assumptions. *slaps own hand*. Do not make assumptions!

The name sounds kick-*kitten*, instead of *kitten*-kicking. Sorry you’re dealing with this. 😘
  • garita93
    Options
    mnfva1 wrote: »
    Do you have any allergies to chickpea based pasta? It’s my go-to with 22g of protein per serving?

I am also allergic to mammal meat but can do poultry so I do eat poultry and ground Turkey a lot.

I know you said you can’t do nuts but what about coconuts (they sometimes aren’t the same as treenut or other nut allergies). I’ve recently discovered a silk brand Greek coconut yogurt (no dairy) that has 10g of protein.

I’ve not tried the chickpea pasta but will definitely try it if I can find it here. This last weekend I discovered my sensitivities have increased, so I’m willing to try anything at this point.

I can have coconut but since I’m boarder line diabetic my nutritionist wants me to keep my sugars at less than 15 grams per day. The only coconut based yogurt I have found here is the So Delicious, it has 35g of sugar per serving.
  • mnfva1
    mnfva1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I should mention chickpea pasta tastes the best when you rinse it post-cooking before putting anything else into it. I can usually find it in a kroger or harris teeter or sometimes food lion. I also have ordered it from thrive market or amazon (although that's assuming your US based).

Yeah, coconut-based processed anythings are usually high in sugar.
  • garita93
    edited March 2023
    Options
    mnfva1 wrote: »
    I should mention chickpea pasta tastes the best when you rinse it post-cooking before putting anything else into it. I can usually find it in a kroger or harris teeter or sometimes food lion. I also have ordered it from thrive market or amazon (although that's assuming your US based).

Yeah, coconut-based processed anythings are usually high in sugar.

I actually found it at our Walmart today! It’s the little things that make day anymore. Thank you so much for your suggestion!!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Tending towards the Holistic approach myself, not having heard of this condition, realising quickly its increasing in the US, I looked to see if there was an holistic offering for support/relief.

I've found a reafference on PUB Med, supporting the use of acupuncture for persons in your predicament. Its referred to as the Soliman Auricula Allergy Treatment, SAAT. Seems there is a specific area of the ear which is used in TMC for allergic reaction persons. I fear discovering a practitioner with a background in Traditional Chinese Medicine with expertise in the area of allergy may be difficult.
    pubmed.ncib.nlm.nih.gov/35003502, I hope I have transposed that correctly.

I've used acupuncture in the UK for my issues though not allergy related. I truly hope this will prove to be helpful to you as it has for others. Wishing you all the very best and hope you can achieve peace from this inflammation.