How much should I eat before morning lift?

Options
I normally lift in the afternoon/evening but need to switch it for vacation. I've struggled with morning lifts before feeling weak.

If I eat a 300 calorie breakfast, how long should I wait to lift? 1.5 hour? Do I need more or less? (I'm 101 lbs)

Replies

• DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    So it depends. I find that my performance doesn't suffer if I lift fasted - in fact I prefer it. My workouts are generally 45-50 minutes long and I'm in the gym by 6:15 am. How did you determine a 300 cal breakfast? How long are your workouts? Have you experimented with coffee/pre-workout drink before lifting? There are a lot of variables in play that may require a bit of experimentation. You could try a lighter snack (i.e., a banana) to fuel your workout and then a protein-forward breakfast afterward to aid recovery. If you choose to have a larger breakfast before lifting, I would think 20 - 30 minutes would be fine but you know your body better than anyone else.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,084 Member
    Options
    Do you get digestive distress if you eat breakfast before lifting?

I underperform (and feel vile) if I work out fasted, so I eat first if at all possible - any type of workout. Workout starts as soon as logistics allow, often within 20 minutes. My digestive system behaves fine.

These things tend to be individual, IMO. Experiment. If you feel weak when you don't eat, but don't have digestive issues when you do eat, then eat. If eating causes distress during the workout, experiment with different food choices or waiting times.

Good luck!
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I have to eat before and I generally need about 700 calories to fuel a two-hour lifting sess. It’s completely individual- I wish I could work out fasted!
  • christinefrano
    christinefrano Posts: 44 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I can't work out fasted. :/ I get the shakes (hypoglycemic) and just overall feel soo weak or lightheaded. My lifting sessions last about 45 mins. I've worked out a couple hours after a small meal and had no digestive issues - hence the 300 cal I mentioned. I didn't perform my best, but I didn't pass out lol.

Mondays are heavy legs too so I'm like freaking out what to eat after I wake up at the hotel haha.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,084 Member
    Options
    I can't work out fasted. :/ I get the shakes (hypoglycemic) and just overall feel soo weak or lightheaded. My lifting sessions last about 45 mins. I've worked out a couple hours after a small meal and had no digestive issues - hence the 300 cal I mentioned. I didn't perform my best, but I didn't pass out lol.

Mondays are heavy legs too so I'm like freaking out what to eat after I wake up at the hotel haha.

Freaking out can cause digestive distress, too. ;) (<= joking, here - not diminishing)

Just eat something normal to you (no exotic new digestive challenges), at a convenient time, then go work out. What's the worst that could happen? You feel a little shaky or a little digestive challenge, maybe cut the workout short? Odds are good that even that won't happen, and it'll be OK.

If it doesn't work out, change it up the next day.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    A perfect situation for doing some experiments!

I don't lift much, but I swim, ride, and run, usually in the afternoon. When I have occasion to do it in the morning, I have the same self-doubts (e.g., a half-marathon starting at 8AM). Of course, when you get it wrong, you can end up with a range of stomach problems that may, in the worst case, cut your effort short. C'est la vie!

It's not just how much you eat, it's what you eat. A low carb breakfast is harder to digest and is more likely to lead to gastric problems. The absolute classic would be to eat something like a banana before your workout and then eat some more when your done, adding in the carbs and the fats. I also have some tea with milk and agave before. Some people have coffee. You could even go with a caffeine energy drink. These require individual experimentation.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,609 Member
    Options
    Much will depend on what you had the night before. If you had in quite a bit and even a bit later you probably aren’t depleted enough to have a problem without eating before you work out. However if you had a fairly light dinner and fairly early then you’re probably gonna need a little something to eat maybe just a banana or something would be fine an hour or so before you hit the gym. You just have to try something and go from there
  • christinefrano
    christinefrano Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all!! I hate when my routine is off but I'll try not to stress too much about it. :)