I have not lost or gained any weight in two weeks and I am frustrated with myself.

Options
Good day to all,

I have lost 30 lbs in two almost three months doing the 30 day shred by Jillian Michaels. I was doing level 1 and when the level stopped being tough I switched the weights from 5 lbs to 15 lbs. Once I switched the weights to 15 lbs I could totally feel the difference in my workouts. I went from losing 2-3 lbs a week to losing 5 lbs a week. Eventually level 1 just wasn't that tough anymore so I switched over to level 2 and it has been about two weeks now. I have not lost a single lb but I also have not gained anything. I am very frustrated. After seeing the scale stay the same today at my weekly weigh-in I have no motivation to go o the gym today.

I keep a container of marbles on my desk at home where I move one marble to the other container for each lbs I lose a week. Well it has been two weeks and I have not been able to move any marbles. How do I get over this weight loss plateau? One week I could understand but two weeks in a row of no weight loss? Also my calorie intake is between 1,200- 2,000 calories a day the same it has always been.
Tagged:

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,166 Member
    Options
    You're weighing once a week? Two weeks isn't very long at all, and your increase in exercise intensity could be causing water retention, masking fat loss on the scale. And weighing only once a week, you have far less data to go on than if you weight daily. Your weekly weigh-in could have been on a higher day.
  • Maria_Albina
    Maria_Albina Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It’s possible since you’ve upped your weights for your workout you are gaining muscle while losing fat so it is evening out on the scale. Don’t worry about the scale so much. Focus more on how you look and what you notice in the gym as far as how difficult your workouts are.
  • johnnyr860
    johnnyr860 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    You're weighing once a week? Two weeks isn't very long at all, and your increase in exercise intensity could be causing water retention, masking fat loss on the scale. And weighing only once a week, you have far less data to go on than if you weight daily. Your weekly weigh-in could have been on a higher day.

Unfortunately, the only weigh-in that works for me is doing it on a weekly basis. I can’t do this every day because it drives me nuts and it was affecting my workouts so I had to stop doing it because I had lost all motivation to go to the gym when I did it that way. Doing it on a once a week basis pushes me to work harder so that when I get to that weekly weigh-in I can see the pounds go off the scale. It’s been working great for the 3 months I have been doing it so far. I guess I will just have to give this more time and see what happens.

• johnnyr860
    johnnyr860 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It’s possible since you’ve upped your weights for your workout you are gaining muscle while losing fat so it is evening out on the scale. Don’t worry about the scale so much. Focus more on how you look and what you notice in the gym as far as how difficult your workouts are.

Thank you. I guess the thing is I don't want to build muscle at all. I just want to lose weight at the moment. So what is the best way to do this then? If this workout is going to cause me to build muscle I guess the 30 day shred is no longer a good workout to continue doing?
  • WhatGetsMeasured
    WhatGetsMeasured Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’m in a plateau myself- looking into changing my diet to a “zigzag” daily calorie plan.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,727 Member
    Options
    I’m in a plateau myself- looking into changing my diet to a “zigzag” daily calorie plan.

That won't do anything. It's overall weekly calories that matter and not daily fluctuations. If you haven't plateaued for 3-4 weeks just keep going if you had been losing.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    johnnyr860 wrote: »
    Lietchi wrote: »

Unfortunately, the only weigh-in that works for me is doing it on a weekly basis. I can’t do this every day because it drives me nuts and it was affecting my workouts so I had to stop doing it because I had lost all motivation to go to the gym when I did it that way. Doing it on a once a week basis pushes me to work harder so that when I get to that weekly weigh-in I can see the pounds go off the scale. It’s been working great for the 3 months I have been doing it so far. I guess I will just have to give this more time and see what happens.

Yes for some, those daily fluctuations, especially the upward ones, can be demotivating and cause you to screw up your diet plan. I found if once a week is the game plan then Friday morning first thing after using the bathroom was a good time as during the week you're less likely to have been eating "fun food" which can cause water retention and screw up the scale readings.
  • WhatGetsMeasured
    WhatGetsMeasured Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    “The Zig Zag Diet, also known as calorie shifting, involves staggering a low-calorie diet with high-calorie days. The belief is that if you can keep your body guessing, you can avoid homeostasis. By confusing your body, the hope is that your metabolism will shift into high gear burning calories more effectively.” - Livestrong
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,405 Member
    Options
    OP, you don't need to worry about gaining too much muscle doing what you're doing at this point. If you'd been losing at a satisfying rate prior to this seeming plateau, then patience is the answer. (It's probably a water weight issue, as others have said.)

I do agree with the "maybe you've been losing faster than ideal" thought, though, and how that can affect energy level, water retention, or both. Losing any meaningful total amount of weight is a long game, even at fastest, so keeping it healthy and sustainable is a good plan.

I wish.

Fast muscle mass gain under ideal conditions would be something like 2 pounds per month - half a pound per week. Ideal conditions include a good progressive mass-building weight routine faithfully performed, relative youth, maleness, relative newness to strength training, good overall nutrition (especially but not exclusively adequate protein), favorable genetics, a calorie surplus, and more.

It's not that mass gain can't happen under sub-ideal conditions, but we'd expect it to be slower still.

On the flip side, half a pound a week of fat loss is about the slowest loss rate that most people would consider remotely satisfying, and even that can take multiple weeks to show up on the scale amongst routine daily multi-pound water retention and digestive contents variation.
    Inescapable conclusion: No realistic rate of muscle gain is going to outpace any typically-satisfying rate of fat loss on the bodyweight scale.

I wish it were otherwise . . . so, so much.

• Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Just noting that OP says their “calorie intake is between 1k and 2k a day same as it always has been.” That is quite a daily variation - are you measuring anything or just guessing? If you end up hitting closer to the high end of the estimate daily you might be consuming at your maintenance level.

If you aren’t already doing so, set your goals within MFP to lose at a reasonable rate (maybe 1 lb a week) and measure your food on a digital scale, recording calories for everything you eat and drink, including cooking oils for food prep and other fats like mayo or butter on sandwiches and milk and sugar in your coffee. Don’t forget to count all caloric drinks like alcoholic beverages, sodas, juices, etc.

You have also lost 30 lbs. Have you re-entered your weight in mfp and recalculated what your calorie requirements are at this new weight? The more you lose the less you need to eat to maintain/lose further. (Unfortunately).
    Congratulations on the progress so far though! Rather than worrying about plateauing, focus on the progress you have made and how you can recalibrate to meet your next goal. You’ll get there bit by bit.
  • DebbsSeattle
    DebbsSeattle Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You should consider doing a change up on your menus. Your body figured out what you were doing and it adapted. Try switching macros, switching out old foods and bringing in some new kinds, do 2 days of vegetarian menus, skip dinners for two days, eat one meal a day for a couple days, go carnivore, change your workouts to maybe a couple HIIT workouts or simply a walking only day if the weather cooperates.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    You should consider doing a change up on your menus. Your body figured out what you were doing and it adapted. Try switching macros, switching out old foods and bringing in some new kinds, do 2 days of vegetarian menus, skip dinners for two days, eat one meal a day for a couple days, go carnivore, change your workouts to maybe a couple HIIT workouts or simply a walking only day if the weather cooperates.
    No. All that is unnecessary and won’t do anything. Your overall weekly calories will determine the outcome
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    OP - Have you re-assessed/calculated what your appropriate calorie goal should be in a while? If you've lost 30lbs...it would def help to recalculate it based on your current stats/activity level.