Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Djproulx wrote: »
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    Just 2000 yard swim (80 lengths).

I will need to take a break from the pool or figure out how to get my fins to stop wearing a hole in the top of my feet.

JUST? More than a MILE! Did you try wearing a sock? Like a no show type or the kind made for with scuba or snorkeling?

My kids were competitive swimmers. One of the kids on the team, his dad, played professional football for the NY Jets and the Philadelphia Eagles. He told me once he felt swimming was a harder sport than playing football. I was shocked. He said, " You have to swim in a controlled rhythm and control your breathing."

I have some neoprene socks; they are more intended for warmth when paddling than for cushion for swimming. Most likely I will swim without fins for a while as my foot heals and maybe builds up callouses.

Since most of my swimming is with a mask and snorkel, I think it is a LOT easier. I can breathe at will whenever I want. Swimming without my mask/snorkel definitely ticks it up a notch. That's how I swim breast stroke, and while I can swim breast "all day," I still have to time my breaths. Every now and then I try to swim a few lengths of freestyle with just a pair of goggles. I flail. Yes, it's definitely a good workout.

2000 yards is a nice swim!

To me, the bolded comment from @swimmom is the key. Endurance swimming is ALL about form and breath control. For freestyle work without a snorkel, many swimmers use a mantra to help establish and maintain a rhythm. Some also use a metronome/ear buds to provide a regular cadence that makes it easier to time your strokes.

One simple mantra that works well for breath work (bilateral breathing in this example) is to think of the words "Bubbles"......"Bubbles" ........" Breathe" in a recurring controlled cadence. This prompts you to always be exhaling a controlled stream of air as you take a left arm stroke, then a right arm stroke, then turn your head and take a breath on the third stroke. Holding your breath makes it hard to keep your breathing controlled as you swim. On the first breath head turns to the left, second breath turn head to the right, etc. If you only breath on one side, then do a two or four stroke cadence. Getting the breathing down is the fastest way to build endurance (assuming your body position and strokes are reasonably good).

I may give that a try. One thing I do like about swimming the way I do is that it does become more meditative. Sometimes I don't want to get out of the pool! Last time I would have gone another 20 laps, but was worried about the holes on the top of my feet. I have, in the past, tried to swim with technical proficiency. I actually took swimming in grad school not because I needed a P.E. credit but because I knew swimming is really good conditioning exercise, and I wanted to get better. What I found is partially related to my body and keeping it on the surface. To go fast enough to stay on the surface, I'd get "behind my breath," and then I'd actually have to swim FASTER to be able to breathe fast enough and then.... bad feedback loop. I might be able to do better with fins to keep speed up. I might try it, but the other reality is it's still a decent workout to swim with a mask and zoomer fins if I'm doing longer distances. It's also nice that I enjoy it so much; that makes it easier. If I dislike it, I'm less likely to do it as long.

If the snow lets up, maybe I'll go out and try today.

Oh yeah, swimming with fins and a snorkel is great. I often use fins and snorkel during drill sets. Fins to work on my (lousy) kick, such as during a 6/1/6 or 6/3/6 drils, and a snorkel when I'm working on the reach, catch and pull phases of my freestyle stroke.

I occasionally use fins during long "recovery style" swims in open water, typically on days when I know I'm going to really struggle to complete a 3k or longer out and back swim.

Regarding the bolded section: This is the classic issue for many swimmers: Sinking legs (or raised head) causing lots of drag. What you've described is the natural tendency to "swim faster" to keep yourself on the surface, which you've also noted is a losing battle. You might practice staying (nearly) flat on the surface by doing the face down "dead man's float". Engaging your core muscles, pointing your toes out and squeezing your glutes together will keep you on the surface even when still. While swimming, try thinking of squeezing a coin between your glutes (lol) and kicking from your hips, not your knees. Engaging your glutes forces your pelvis forward and doesn't allow your knees to bend. That's an easy way to stop sinking legs. Finally, your body acts as a fulcrum. If your head is too high, your legs sink, so head position is also important.

That's enough swim blabber from me. Good luck with your swims, it's a great conditioning exercise.

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,978 Member
    Options
    Swimming IS terrific exercise, but I've never been comfortable with my face submerged for long periods of time. Maybe tied in with my claustrophobia, feeling like my world is pressed all around me, maybe just because I never had that good of control holding my breath for more than a couple seconds at a time. I learned how to swim, including the "proper" form of the crawl, but never got smooth enough to make it efficient. I can get from point A to point B, but will be exhausted when I get there.

Even floating on my back never worked for me, as my natural level of buoyancy was about 2 inches below the surface, meaning I'd stay level but not above the water. My mother, however, could lie back and look like she was resting in a recliner, with at least half her body above the water at all times without ever moving a muscle or breathing differently. She literally could read a book without fear. In fact, she almost failed high school gym class and didn't graduate because at that time in southern California she was required by the state to swim a certain distance underwater. She could hold her breath long enough, she could move her arms and legs properly, but she couldn't get her body to stay below the water surface, it kept bobbing back up. She literally had to have her gym teacher press down on the small of her back to keep her below the water surface while she propelled herself horizontally the required distance. And it's not just because of body fat...in high school, she was a very trim lady.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Did an outdoor pool swim yesterday focused on form. Started with some warmup drills (kick, pull) then 10 easy paced 100's plus cool down. 1600yds total. I don't have much endurance yet, but there is enough time to build it before my first race in June.

Recovery paced ride this morning, 21 miles at a 16mph pace. Florida is flat as a pancake, so it was easy spinning through some pretty neighborhoods to the beach and back. Plan to swim again this afternoon.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I went climbing for 3 hours. It was good fun. It was a gym I hadn't been to for a while. I was in pretty good form, getting a few v4s (this gym grades relatively tough.)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,049 Member
    Options
    Few minutes of random stretch-y, foam-roll-y, mobility kind of exercises before breakfast . . . whatever felt good to places that seemed tight.

Afternoon, machine row, 2 x (2k + 2' row in/out and CD). Back more in the zone of relative power/spm ratio that I usually machine row, 2:24.1 and 2:20.9 pace on the 2ks, both 21spm. A little more vigorous, too: 50% of the total duration was Z4, and the last 5' was all at/above 220-age, 153 to 159bpm - no actual Z5, though. (Overall, HR average 143, peak 159). I could feel the shoulder a few times in there, but no actual pain still.

After a snack (and Garmin re-charge!), 60' stationary bike (98W this time, not pushing it), plus 3' CD (81W). This was mostly Z3, HR average 129, peak 143.

PT exercises planned before bed. (I did do a set before bed last night, as promised, too.)

Rest day tomorrow, except will do PT again . . . maybe some stretching.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Elliptical HIIT setting 150 minutes just over 10 miles.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Time to get back to logging my workouts here. I was down with Covid for a couple of weeks, but I am recovered and back it now.

Good workout this morning. Lower body, core and cadio.

Stretched

36 minutes on the spin bike, avg/max heart rate: 132/163
    26 minutes on the treadmill, avg/max heart rate: 126/139

46 minutes lifting weights

- Wide Stance Leg Press: 12@210, 10@390, 8@480, 6@570, Drop set: 3@660, 6@480, 8@300, 10@210
    - Crunches: 20, 20, 20, 20
    - Body Weight Box Squats: 10, 10, 10, 10
    - Barbell Romanian Deadlifts: 12@95, 10@145, 8@185, Drop set: 6@225, 6@185, 8@145
    - Weight Side Bends, each side: 10@40, 10@40, 10@40, 10@40

Stretched
  • nossmf
    Options
    Another thing, I think, that got me more interested in swimming indoors is that my gym has a salt water pool.

Salt water is also more buoyant than fresh.
    BigMech wrote: »
    - Body Weight Box Squats: 10, 10, 10, 10

I despise box squats! Probably means I need to do more of them...
  • nossmf
    Options
    Thought today would be harder to wake up, as the first early morning after daylight savings time, but it proved to be no big deal. Banged out an hour on the elliptical, hills. Only two weeks before I get to pick up a weight once more that isn't rehab! Those early lifting sessions will be short as I work on waking my muscles back up to the idea of lifting, so that first month will probably have both lifts AND cardio same day, so need to decide how my shorter cardio will go (half hour instead of the hour I've grown accustomed to doing).
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,175 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Another thing, I think, that got me more interested in swimming indoors is that my gym has a salt water pool.

Salt water is also more buoyant than fresh.

In the context of a salt water pool, I'm not sure it's significant. It's not salty like the sea; it's about 10% of the salinity of ocean water. It also reduces over time as the NaCl is separated into Na and Cl ions to get the appropriate chlorination level. I am curious though how much affect there is in a salt water swimming pool.
  • dblirondog
    dblirondog Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Today I went back to the gym to add to my running routine. I worked back, biceps and abs. It's a great start. I am working out 6 days per week right now, alternating run days with gym. I want to see how much I can transform between now and May 12th.
  • JoannaKh
    JoannaKh Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    On my first day back at the gym, I took it easy by doing some general weight training and cardio. I like to push myself, but this time I have to pace myself and not overdo it. Slowly... towards the goal 😉
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    As an aside, we met former NY Jets QB Joe Namath at his restaurant last night. Had a nice chat with him after dinner. I took the picture - my wife, BIL, SIL and Joe are in the photo :)

hayzjiw3utlj.jpeg

Showing my age but I can't help thinking of the ad with him in pantyhose!! LOL!!!!

• Djproulx
    Options
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    As an aside, we met former NY Jets QB Joe Namath at his restaurant last night. Had a nice chat with him after dinner. I took the picture - my wife, BIL, SIL and Joe are in the photo :)

hayzjiw3utlj.jpeg

Showing my age but I can't help thinking of the ad with him in pantyhose!! LOL!!!!

Haha! We were smiling because he was wearing black knee high compression socks! Last time my brother in law saw him, Joe was wearing flesh colored ones. :)