Losing weight too sliwly

Options
2»

Replies

• Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    @cmriverside We must always ask ourselves, just how much of your weekly progress are you willing to give up. ;) I ask myself that, for real.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,638 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

Yes, use a conservative estimate for the workout calories. For several reasons, those estimates can be too high. If you want a 250 daily deficit, and you estimate 500 burned in a workout which was actually 250, there goes your planned deficit.
    I was involved in the BB.com forum for 15 years and there were a decent amount of people coming over from MFP with the same problem, can't lose weight. After diving into it with them they were using food numbers that were incorrect, as most would just choose the entries with the lowest amounts and were way overestimating their workout calories. Once they were told how to dial things in they started seeing progress. One of the main factors was they stopped eating back workout calories and besides being more accurate with their overall deficit numbers it also simplified the process.

Food for thought and nothing more....

You don't think we see those same people here?

Undereating is a problem as well.

Know your audience. You're more than welcome to give your, "Don't eat exercise calories," advice over on BB.com.

Why do you want to create problems here, though? I mean, this lady has only a few pounds to lose and you're telling her that it's A-OK to ignore the recommended calories and eat under that amount.

Then she'll be posting that, "I can't stop binging. Why am I not able to stick to this [too extreme] deficit?"

I just don't see how you're helping. Yes, she has a tiny deficit. Yes, exercise calories do get inflated and food database items can be wrong but why also tell her, "The site sucks, basically. Use MY numbers instead." If she uses it as it is supposed to be used at least she'll have good data to make decisions. Your way will have her all over the place, under-eating then over-eating.

Just log the food, log the exercise, watch the trends and adjust. Once she knows her actual calorie needs (not WW points) then she can do what she wants.

The "eat exercise calories" "wait, no, don't eat exercise calories!" "Wait, eat, some, but not all, your exercise calories, while standing in a sumo squat" argument is one that's never going to end on here. Neither way is right or wrong, honestly, because most people, yes, even people on here, are dramatically miscalculating both their food and exercise calories, and always will. So really, it doesn't matter either way. I've never, not once, eaten back exercise calories.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

Yes, use a conservative estimate for the workout calories. For several reasons, those estimates can be too high. If you want a 250 daily deficit, and you estimate 500 burned in a workout which was actually 250, there goes your planned deficit.
    I was involved in the BB.com forum for 15 years and there were a decent amount of people coming over from MFP with the same problem, can't lose weight. After diving into it with them they were using food numbers that were incorrect, as most would just choose the entries with the lowest amounts and were way overestimating their workout calories. Once they were told how to dial things in they started seeing progress. One of the main factors was they stopped eating back workout calories and besides being more accurate with their overall deficit numbers it also simplified the process.

Food for thought and nothing more....

You don't think we see those same people here?

Undereating is a problem as well.

Know your audience. You're more than welcome to give your, "Don't eat exercise calories," advice over on BB.com.

Why do you want to create problems here, though? I mean, this lady has only a few pounds to lose and you're telling her that it's A-OK to ignore the recommended calories and eat under that amount.

Then she'll be posting that, "I can't stop binging. Why am I not able to stick to this [too extreme] deficit?"

I just don't see how you're helping. Yes, she has a tiny deficit. Yes, exercise calories do get inflated and food database items can be wrong but why also tell her, "The site sucks, basically. Use MY numbers instead." If she uses it as it is supposed to be used at least she'll have good data to make decisions. Your way will have her all over the place, under-eating then over-eating.

Just log the food, log the exercise, watch the trends and adjust. Once she knows her actual calorie needs (not WW points) then she can do what she wants.

The "eat exercise calories" "wait, no, don't eat exercise calories!" "Wait, eat, some, but not all, your exercise calories, while standing in a sumo squat" argument is one that's never going to end on here. Neither way is right or wrong, honestly, because most people, yes, even people on here, are dramatically miscalculating both their food and exercise calories, and always will. So really, it

doesn't matter either way. I've never, not once, eaten back exercise calories.
    lol, right?

The exercise calories addition feature is a nice feature if that is something you want to utilize however it isn’t necessary if you have a formula that works without it.

• tomcustombuilder
    Options
    This is an awesome discussion.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options

But no longer on point to OP's question, at least not in any direct way.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    Well that went by the wayside early on.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

well that went by the wayside early on. Hopefully OP was able to decipher through it all to shoot for a bigger deficit by whatever means necessary.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    Well to be fair that happens with MFP too
    people who log faithfully for 6 days then blow it all on 1 cheat day.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    Well that went by the wayside early on.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

well that went by the wayside early on. Hopefully OP was able to decipher through it all to shoot for a bigger deficit by whatever means necessary.

FWIW, I share the perspective that the WW free foods/points issues are most likely to be the big deal here. It sounded like OP was going to start actually counting calories, so things will probably sort themselves out.

She still will have the normal calorie counting learning curve, but she sounds like a smart person who can sort that out. If there are still obstacles after she counts for a month or so, I hope she'll post again, not be discouraged from doing so by the meandering of this thread.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,969 Member
    Options
    You’re in a tiny deficit. If you’re figuring in exercise calories into your daily equation, stop and don’t figure exercise calories. That will help by not allowing those calories to go into your daily allowance. That will help some but possibly not enough as those calories won’t be a lot when figured in your weekly TDEE which is total calories burned through your BMR, NEAT. (Daily movements that aren’t exercise), and your exercises. You will probably have to also lower your weekly calories a bit.

I think it would be better for her to change one variable at a time, and that one to go from WW points system to MFP actually logging all calories.

When people are new to MFP I believe in keeping it simple and not introducing TDEE, etc., at this point.
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Actually, 146 is not that heavy so I think you are probably so close to your goal weight that loss will be slow.

That said, who told you that your weight should be 136? Are you using the CDC BMI calculator on the internet? That is a guide but the result isn't based on YOU. Your body composition, age, gender so many variables.

As for WW, I was on WW for years. Overall, I think it is a good program at least in comparison to others. It 2021, I rocked it. I got frustrated with the annual program changes. They justified them with "science", they learn every year. Yes, science learns but not so quickly that changes must be implemented every January! I finally realized it was all just marketing...attempts to get more members during New Year's Resolution time. I decided that, though I am not a nutritionist, I have learned enough over the years to know what foods are good for me and what are junk. MFP is free so here I am. :)

• drjeff0609
    drjeff0609 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You should be proud of yourself. 7 lbs is great. Also, I’m under the impression that not everyone here giving you advice are experts. Many are still trying to figure stuff out themselves. Plenty of people have success with WW and this is why it’s been around for so long. Why don’t you stick to exactly what you have been doing and then make small adjustments such as consistently walking 2500-3000 steps more a day. If you decide to take this advice please report back in 45 days. Good luck :)
  • drjeff0609
    Options
    drjeff0609 wrote: »
    You should be proud of yourself. 7 lbs is great. Also, I’m under the impression that not everyone here giving you advice are experts. Many are still trying to figure stuff out themselves. Plenty of people have success with WW and this is why it’s been around for so long. Why don’t you stick to exactly what you have been doing and then make small adjustments such as consistently walking 2500-3000 steps more a day. If you decide to take this advice please report back in 45 days. Good luck :)

:lol:
    So, you're putting yourself up as the expert? I think you'd be surprised at the depth of knowledge in this thread.

Of course not, How can anyone compare to your level of insight and expertise. You are a rock star, it’s very obvious

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Well, actually, on this thread almost all the responders are seasoned posters. As you pointed out, that does not mean they are 100% correct all the time. We do our best. Your response is a good one. Keep posting, we need new viewpoints.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

So, you're putting yourself up as the expert? I think you'd be surprised at the depth of knowledge in this thread.

Of course not, How can anyone compare to your level of insight and expertise. You are a rock star, it’s very obvious

LOLOLOL

Finally.

Someone who gets me.

It is always so enlightening for us when someone comes in and is an expert, so if you have the expertise, by all means elaborate! Just making back-handed lightly veiled insulting remarks doesn't really say much.

• drjeff0609
    Options

LOLOLOL

Finally.

Someone who gets me.

It is always so enlightening for us when someone comes in and is an expert, so if you have the expertise, by all means elaborate! Just making back-handed lightly veiled insulting remarks doesn't really say much.

Like I said, you clearly know what you are talking about with so many posts right? Member since 2007. I only learnt about MFP around 2 years ago so what do I know.

All joking aside, I’m sure some of your posts have indeed helped many people who post in their forums so kudos to you.

Anyway, have a nice day.