GET OUT OF THE 210’s

Options
HI THERE , MFP COMMUNITY !
So you know what to do , follow your favourite MFP food and nutrition programme, record everything in the diary, write your food and exercise notes, weigh yourself regularly, share and communicate with your MFP friends.
Here’s the added new thing here : How to get out of the 210’s range of weight: give yourself the mini-goal, a few times, to lose one or two pounds to get out of where you are now. If you get out of your ‘current’ weight status a few times in a row, all of a sudden you’ll be below 210 .
So have a lovely week, MFP Health, Wellness and Weight-loss Community ! 👍✌️

Replies

• AGLake
    AGLake Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    And so how are you doing with these mini-goals ? What do you think about this ? 👍✌️
  • AGLake
    Options
    Hi ! How are you doing at getting out of the 210’s weight range lb by lb ?
    Aside from that, it’s my opinion that, as ordinary people, any extra exercise or intentional activity we might do will burn a few calories more than sitting around all day, but really not enough to wonder about eating back the calories. It seems to me only professional athletes need to eat back calories after working out for eight-hour days of training, practice and athletic performance.
    What do you think?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    This seems like an awfully specific question directed to only people in the 210 pounds range?

As far as eating back exercise calories - it probably isn't too terribly important at 210 pounds - but as you approach a healthier weight it's really really important to figure out how you're going to account for exercise.

Myfitnesspal calculates your weight loss calories with the proviso that you are going to enter any purposeful Exercise into the Exercise section and eat more calories to support that extra additional calorie need.

You can read how it works, here:
    https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-

...and here:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    Aww! @JBanx256, lookit you~~!! Woohoo on that PR!! Congrats!

@AnnPT77 - without going into a novel of explanation...the reason I said she probably didn't need to worry as much at 210 than at - say - 140, is that the fuel is already on-board, so to speak. All that bodyfat is serving to offset the additional calorie needs to a certain degree. And just to be clear, I ate every goshdarned exercise calorie I earned when I was 210, as well! I strongly disagree that anyone other than professional athletes can disregard exercise calories. Just last week the exercise calories I earned were about 2000 calories. I can not afford to lose much more weight and that 2000 calories is huge! I would be miserable without them. That's only a little over 300 calories added for each of six days of my 90 minutes walk.

I could have probably skipped that extra amount on some days of my weight loss. I didn't, but as Banx said, that's a story for another day that I'm sure I've already told.
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    AGLake wrote: »
    Aside from that, it’s my opinion that, as ordinary people, any extra exercise or intentional activity we might do will burn a few calories more than sitting around all day, but really not enough to wonder about eating back the calories. It seems to me only professional athletes need to eat back calories after working out for eight-hour days of training, practice and athletic performance.
    What do you think?

I just about completely agree with the above, with the caveat that the definition of "professional athlete" include those average people who also routinely train/exercise to meet performance goals and are already at maintenance weight. For someone like me, who's BMI is over 30 until they weigh less than 209, an occasional trip to the gym doesn't much matter because not that much weight gets burned off. The extra exercise and intentional activity (in an effort to build muscle and increase endurance) can even be counter productive if fatigue leaves the person to reduce the number of calories they would have normally burned off in normal activities for the rest of the day. This is especially true for those of us who then increase their calorie intake as a reward for a good workout but are too tired to do anything other than watch March Madness the rest of the day while munching on unhealthy snacks.

The person who follows a set exercise/training routine week after week will account for the energy used because those calories are part of their normal, weekly energy expenditure and eating plan. They will need to decide how much of those expended calories to eat back to fit into their personal fitness plan. The workout doesn't need to a professional and last 8 hours a day for this to be important, it just needs to be routine. I would also think that if the average person suddenly runs a 10K or bikes a 50 mile race, those extra calories burned would need to be replaced as soon as they gather enough energy to bring a food laden fork up to their mouth.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    What do you think?

In 2021, I lost close to 40 pounds while shooting to burn 400-500 calories via exercise each day, and ate almost all of them back.

If you use MFP to set your calorie goal, exercise, but don't eat back any exercise calories, you are not using MFP the way it was designed.

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    What do you think?

I don’t think of it as I need to eat back exercise calories, it’s I get to. No activity means I can’t have cookies or I won’t lose weight. Activity means I can have cookies and still lose weight.
  • AGLake
    Options
    April 2, 2023
    Ok, folks . I lost a bit and managed to get out of the 210 - 220# range .
    I will now be struggling to get out of the 200 - 210# range . I have less than 8 lbs to go to get outta here.
    Have a lovely week ! 👍✌️🐣