JUST FOR TODAY... One day at a time .. Daily Commitment for 2023!

Options

Replies

• mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,205 Member
    Options
    Haven't been on here for awhile .. this time of year I am so busy with yard work.. which I love! I walk a lot. .. and spend a good portion of my day gardening, then sewing quilts in the evenings. I have 4 quilts made for a organization called Heavenly Beds. they make beds for little kids ages 3-17 that do not have a bed to sleep in. So a very good cause!

But not setting goals today.. but just wanted to get on here quick to wish all who celebrate a very happy Easter, Happy passover!

Ha .. my day will be eating green jello all day!! I unknowingly scheduled a colonscopy for monday ... so on sunday, I can only have clear liquids and jello. Ha.. What was I thinking!!! But, this was scheduled 3 months ago.. didn't realize it was day after easter.
    So I am making creamed chicken, mashed potatoes, and green beans, and baked and decorated a angel food cake. So this way hubby at least has leftovers for tomorrow.. and if our daughter comes out, she can also have leftover, a sweet potato, asparagus, and a piece of cake.
    Our 47th wedding anniversary is next sunday .. so I'lll cook the ham and all the stuff I had planned to make then.. so we'll just celebrate easter dinner next week.
  • teigansdad
    teigansdad Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Sorry last week went well even though I didn’t have time to post goals in my head they were there and up until Friday was batting 100.
    Other good news… Teigan passed her drivers test (:

Now me and the girls are in spring break. We flew out of Charlotte early this am and will be her in St Lucia for rest of the week. That’s were things have gone off kilter a little. Yesterday we ate at Cracker Barrel
    Don’t really love that place but options were limited due to our schedule. Made a poor dinner choice and although I had worked out and really needed the protein I don’t think I needed a 1600 calorie dinner.. man the guilt. Didn’t eat anything except a coffee since early this morning then when we got to the resort the first thing they handed us was a rum punch..
    All inclusive so we had a snack and then I over did it with a few watered down frozen drinks and also sampled the buffet

I’m stuffed and feel gross but putting it out here tonight so I can start fresh

Tomorrow
    Net negative caloric goal
    Exercise for at least 30 minutes (thinking treadmill)
    Skip the mixed drinks (they give me heart burn anyway) and no beer (will be easy cuz it’s not very good)
    Enjoy myself
    Forgive myself for last two days

• more_freggies76
    more_freggies76 Posts: 2,606 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Hour commitment - I won’t eat again until tomorrow. Can still have my dose of metamusal, lemon tea, and hot cocoa

For tomorrow, none of the galette bretonne. Need to space it out.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    Awhh I didn't click save draft!

Anyway my post for today was that I'm gonna practice the word "No."

No to the snacks
    No to the zero exercise.
    And no to my excuses.

I've lost nearly 5lb that I'm really proud of. I don't want to gain that back or literally wipe out the really hard work I DID do.

It's the Easter holidays. I don't personally have any chocolate eggs. The only chocolate I'm having is when my girls are generous and want to share with us (which is a lot).
    But I say no to them alot, that the gifts were for them and they should enjoy them. It's only when they insist like I have no option that I have some.

My routine changes so dramatically from school to school holidays.
    But rather than excuses, it should be a challenge!
    It's now just become harder to do what I need to do, not impossible. So I should be able to do it and over come the hurdle of managing my time 😂

I mean it's only one more week too then they're back at school but it's still one week that I don't want to mess up. Prove to myself that I can keep it up during the holidays.
  • shann55437
    shann55437 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    JFT Monday April 10

8:00
    2 cups of coffee
    Banana

Commitment to doing better.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    JFT Friday
    1. THINK PINK. Check on coverage requirements. JFT. Review emails.
    2. Online facilitation - Print unit plan. Review/revise lesson plans. SET TIMES. Update class website. Review article and prepare notes. Duolingo. Reply to emails. Grade late assignments. Journal. Create trivia sets for Blooket and Gimkit? Begin TPT unit. Create a DGP sentence.
    3. Pit Crew - Chitchat. Return receipt.
    4. Planning - Turn in attendance forms. Reading (Libby). Update Goodreads! Do some deep stretchy squats and some crunches. Prep short scripts. Organize classroom. Check with P about Dashboard.
    5. English class - DGP 9 / ROL Why Memoir? / CL Memoir 1
    6. TUTORING. Lifting? Need to clean out my home Gmail and set my YouTube videos back up again.
    7. Laundry. Check on books and dishes. Continue organizing office and setting aside space for books. SHOOT AND POST SJ.
    8. Evening: Livestream. Dinner: Salad. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    9. Bedtime: Gratitude journal. Update IG. Therapy exercises: crunches, push-ups, squats, ankle lifts, box jumps, plank. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth.
    10. Upcoming: Set up digital portfolio. Get elastic for shoes & take to shoe repair. Saturday RC. NO YMCA or library volunteering. Sun RC. When to work on Clois & Stuffy? Need to purchase and install doors; need to repair joist. C nap in bedroom; keep blankets and pillows (and PJs!) in bedroom. Move OUR blankets and pillows to bedroom; keep atop bookshelf. Used bookstore Tuesday. PODCAST TUESDAY.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    End of 2019: 196.4
    End of 2020: 187.4
    End of 2021: 194.4
    End of 2022: 201.2
    Today: 205.2

Long-term goals/progress

1. Professional / read current research. 2. Professional / present at conferences. 3. Professional / publish scholarly articles. 4. Professional / observe student needs and develop supports. 5. Professional / complete a doctorate. 6. Personal / retire comfortably. 7. Personal / renovate house. 8. Community / local progress. 9. Community / time with friends & family. 10. Family concerns. 11. Medical/fitness.

1. Research: Five paragraph essay. How student attitudes affect standardized test results; student surveys.

2. Presenting: Promote YT channel. Invite guests. Record mini-lessons.

3. Publishing: Read one journal article weekly; respond in a blog post. Clois for CWG. S&F for YT channel. Goodreads purchase list for McKay’s. Weekly blog series: Weekly Wishes (Monday) and Weekly Wins (Friday).

4. Observed student needs: Changing words between parts of speech (vocabulary/grammar). Synthesizing info from multiple sources, drawing conclusions (RI/W). EFFECTIVE transitions (W). Every day v everyday; any one v anyone (grammar). Sub/obj pronouns & structure (grammar). Poss v pl nouns (grammar). Short nonfic from Lat Amer/Africa/Asia (World Lit).

5. Doctorate: Research programs, requirements, resources, cost, timeline.

6. Retirement: Update name on JSSB acct. Check investments. Theater CV. Entertainment experience. Duolingo/Lang8.

7. House: Floor joists. Siding. Gutters. Floors.

8. Local progress: Library. Theater. PC2V. City/county govt. Community kitchen. She Should Run vision statement. Ugly Christmas sweater. Prison abolition; reduce / re-allocate responsibilities dumped on cops. Push for diversity. Turn left!

9. Friends & extended family: Organize photos. Write postcards. Call weekly! Look for activities to do with friends. Purchase doll with long hair; practice French braid. Dance: tap, salsa, samba. Rhythm nation.

10. Immediate family: 20m room cleaning daily. When room is clean, nap together. Zoo? Drive white car together; practice solo driving. Load books in crate for McKay's. Work on staying home solo when dark.

11. Medical: YMCA classes. Lift @ lunch. Maintain @ 155 w defined muscle tone. At 189, 1pr black 1pr white leggings; purple All-Stars. 179, 2 Svaha Rachel dresses. 169 suit - Indochino? 159 swing dance lessons. Talk to PCP about feet (cannot do calf raises, pushups, planks, mountain climbers, etc.) Also back and shoulder pain. Why can’t I sleep better? Is ADHD a possible factor? ADHD testing Aug 10 2P and Aug 15 2P. Therapy Mar 23 4p. Dentist April 19 11a. Biometric May 1 9AM. Annual exam Oct 11 9A check calendar; ask about migraines? (Mar 25)

13. Therapy thoughts: Achieving fitness goals is especially difficult when snacking is apparently the only effective, inexpensive, convenient de-stresser and I'm stressed almost all the time. Progress: Work on reflecting on progress. Regressive behavior is now minimal. ASK about what's scary about the room. About what else in her life (now or previously) is/was like that. Normalize putting the blankets away EVERY MORNING. Then move to doing it FIRST, along with getting dressed. What do I do about the fact that nothing really seems fun? "Having fun" is something of a chore. I need to talk to my parents about end-of-life plans (particularly funeral arrangements) and I'm not sure how to go about it. I do somewhat trust that they are capable of deciding when they need assisted living but should probably offer help in finding out what sort of place would be best BEFORE it actually becomes necessary.

14. Just for fun: Start sketching dragon on a pile of books, offering one to the armored knight, & banner that reads "Treasure should not be hoarded / It should be shared."

WFTY: Priorities. Back to school after break. I feel like I hit the ground running and barely have a chance to catch my breath. I am STRUGGLING, folks.
    2020 WFTY: Progress. 2021 WFTY: Persistence. 2022 WFTY: Focus.
  • more_freggies76
    Options
    Hour commitment - I won’t eat again until after 5 pm, but can still have hot cocoa and my dose of metamusal
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    JFT:
    ☑️Drink at least 72oz water
    ☑️Stay under 1800 calories
    ☑️No coffee until 8am
    ☑️No food until 10am
    ☑️No food after 8pm
    ☑️Get at least 8000 steps today
    ☑️Bake gyro today (prepped yesterday)
    ☑️Parents should be arriving today or tomorrow.... prepare yourself!
  • emgracewrites
    emgracewrites Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Today I’m going to focus on water and logging all my food. Still in pain and feeling overwhelmed by work, but that’s basically the norm for me now and I don’t have any control over those things anyway. Trying to focus on the things that I can control
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Awhh I didn't click save draft!

Anyway my post for today was that I'm gonna practice the word "No."

No to the snacks
    No to the zero exercise.
    And no to my excuses.

I've lost nearly 5lb that I'm really proud of. I don't want to gain that back or literally wipe out the really hard work I DID do.

It's the Easter holidays. I don't personally have any chocolate eggs. The only chocolate I'm having is when my girls are generous and want to share with us (which is a lot).
    But I say no to them alot, that the gifts were for them and they should enjoy them. It's only when they insist like I have no option that I have some.

My routine changes so dramatically from school to school holidays.
    But rather than excuses, it should be a challenge!
    It's now just become harder to do what I need to do, not impossible. So I should be able to do it and over come the hurdle of managing my time 😂

I mean it's only one more week too then they're back at school but it's still one week that I don't want to mess up. Prove to myself that I can keep it up during the holidays.

I did not say no.. 🤔

Anyway I don't think I over ate, but I didn't log so I'll never know.
    I know I skipped breakfast. Had some pizza at lunch..but a bit salad for dinner..but then triple chocolate cheesecake?
    Bit up and down at the minute lol!

All I can do is try again today!

Just one day! Just for today!!

Today I just want to log everything!
  • pamperedlinny
    Options
    JFT:
    ☑️Drink at least 72oz water ✔️
    ☑️Stay under 1800 calories ❌
    ☑️No coffee until 8am ✔️
    ☑️No food until 10am ✔️
    ☑️No food after 8pm ✔️
    ☑️Get at least 8000 steps today ❌
    ☑️Bake gyro today (prepped yesterday) ✔️
    ☑️Parents should be arriving today or tomorrow.... prepare yourself! 🌫️ They stopped at 6pm and will arrive today

Good morning!
    I didn't stick to my calories yesterday and I was short of my step goal by only a couple hundred. I need to get my stress over the upcoming visit under control. I also got my recipe blog updated with a new recipe since it's been 2 weeks. If anyone wants to read it the link is www.healthyeatingwithlinda.com/post/mississippi-pot-roast

JFT:
    ☑️No coffee until 8am
    ☑️No food until 10am
    ☑️No food after 8pm
    ☑️Check daughter's room for cleanliness
    ☑️Put away laundry
    ☑️Parents should be arriving today
  • clicketykeys
    Options
    JFT Tuesday
    2. Online facilitation - Cover class. AGAIN. Review/revise lesson plans. SET TIMES. Update class website. Review article and prepare notes. Duolingo. Reply to emails. Grade late assignments. Journal. Create trivia sets for Blooket and Gimkit? Begin TPT unit.
    3. Pit Crew - Voting. Meeting.
    4. Planning - Check on contract; then attendance forms. Reading (Libby). Update Goodreads! Do some deep stretchy squats and some crunches. Prep short scripts. Organize classroom. Meet with students about missing work. PARENT CALLS. Cover class..
    5. English class - DGP 9 / ROL Memoir 1 / Writing assignment? / Survey
    6. Used bookstore. Need to clean out my home Gmail and set my YouTube videos back up again.
    7. Laundry. Check on books and dishes. Continue organizing office and setting aside space for books.
    8. Evening: Tweetchat. Dinner: Salad. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    9. Bedtime: Gratitude journal. Update IG. Therapy exercises: crunches, push-ups, squats, ankle lifts, box jumps, plank. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth.
    10. Upcoming: Set up digital portfolio. Get elastic for shoes & take to shoe repair. Saturday RC. NO YMCA or library volunteering. Sun RC. When to work on Clois & Stuffy? Need to purchase and install doors; need to repair joist. C nap in bedroom; keep blankets and pillows (and PJs!) in bedroom. Move OUR blankets and pillows to bedroom; keep atop bookshelf. Used bookstore Tuesday. PODCAST WEDNESDAY.

Scale goals
    Today: 205.2

Long-term goals/progress

1. Professional / read current research. 2. Professional / present at conferences. 3. Professional / publish scholarly articles. 4. Professional / observe student needs and develop supports. 5. Professional / complete a doctorate. 6. Personal / retire comfortably. 7. Personal / renovate house. 8. Community / local progress. 9. Community / time with friends & family. 10. Family concerns. 11. Medical/fitness.

1. Research: Five paragraph essay. How student attitudes affect standardized test results; student surveys.

3. Publishing: Read one journal article weekly; respond in a blog post. Clois for CWG. S&F for YT channel. Goodreads purchase list for McKay’s. Weekly blog series: Weekly Wishes (Monday) and Weekly Wins (Friday).

4. Observed student needs: Changing words between parts of speech (vocabulary/grammar). Synthesizing info from multiple sources, drawing conclusions (RI/W). EFFECTIVE transitions (W). Every day v everyday; any one v anyone (grammar). Sub/obj pronouns & structure (grammar). Poss v pl nouns (grammar). Short nonfic from Lat Amer/Africa/Asia (World Lit).

6. Retirement: Update name on JSSB acct. Check investments. Theater CV. Entertainment experience. Duolingo/Lang8.

8. Local progress: Library. Theater. PC2V. City/county govt. Community kitchen. She Should Run vision statement. Ugly Christmas sweater. Prison abolition; reduce / re-allocate responsibilities dumped on cops. Push for diversity. Turn left!

9. Friends & extended family: Organize photos. Write postcards. Call weekly! Look for activities to do with friends. Purchase doll with long hair; practice French braid. Dance: tap, salsa, samba. Rhythm nation.

10. Immediate family: 20m room cleaning daily. When room is clean, nap together. Zoo? Drive white car together; practice solo driving. Load books in crate for McKay's. Work on staying home solo when dark.

11. Medical: YMCA classes. Lift @ lunch. Maintain @ 155 w defined muscle tone. At 189, 1pr black 1pr white leggings; purple All-Stars. 179, 2 Svaha Rachel dresses. 169 suit - Indochino? 159 swing dance lessons. Talk to PCP about feet (cannot do calf raises, pushups, planks, mountain climbers, etc.) Also back and shoulder pain. Why can’t I sleep better? Is ADHD a possible factor? ADHD testing Aug 10 2P and Aug 15 2P. Therapy Mar 23 4p. Dentist April 19 11a. Biometric May 1 9AM. Annual exam Oct 11 9A check calendar; ask about migraines? (Mar 25)

13. Therapy thoughts: Achieving fitness goals is especially difficult when snacking is apparently the only effective, inexpensive, convenient de-stresser and I'm stressed almost all the time. Progress: Work on reflecting on progress. Regressive behavior is now minimal. ASK about what's scary about the room. About what else in her life (now or previously) is/was like that. Normalize putting the blankets away EVERY MORNING. Then move to doing it FIRST, along with getting dressed. What do I do about the fact that nothing really seems fun? "Having fun" is something of a chore. I need to talk to my parents about end-of-life plans (particularly funeral arrangements) and I'm not sure how to go about it. I do somewhat trust that they are capable of deciding when they need assisted living but should probably offer help in finding out what sort of place would be best BEFORE it actually becomes necessary.

14. Just for fun: Start sketching dragon on a pile of books, offering one to the armored knight, & banner that reads "Treasure should not be hoarded / It should be shared."

WFTY: Priorities.
  • emgracewrites
    emgracewrites Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was rough. Some of it I had control over (what/the amount I chose to eat) and some of it I didn’t (my stove crapping out again and limiting what I can cook/eat). Either way I’m trying not to beat myself up for it and just focus on moving forward.

My only goals for today are to log my food and drink 40 oz of water
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! We have 70-degree weather in Wisconsin! I spent the entire day outside yesterday, cleaning up the yard and getting our deck chairs out from storage...stuff like that. It felt so good to be outside in only a t-shirt and feeling the sunshine. OMG. I know it's early April and it'll get cooler again, but I'm going to enjoy this while it lasts. I thought of you, @mytime6630 , while I was relocating a few of my perennials--was thinking about how much you love doing the flowers and landscaping. :)

Today is the weekly Accuquilt live stream video that I go watch with my mom. It's a quilting video, so I usually am in the mood to come home and sew afterward but I'm not sure if I will today because I think the draw to be outside in the sunshine is stronger than the draw to go downstairs and sew... We'll see!

@mytime6630 That's a really nice cause to donate quilts to. I'm sure the kids love them! Good luck today on your test today. They suck, but at least it's only every 10 years! lol

@teigansdad Have fun at St. Lucia!!! So jealous! I've never been to an all-inclusive resort, but I'm certainly I'd have a very hard time watching my calories if I was at one! (A problem I hope to have one of these winters...LOL) CONGRATS to Teigan for passing her drivers license test!

@clicketykeys (HUGS) I'm sorry you're struggling! Is there anything you can hand off to someone else to lighten your load? You are always so busy! I never know how you do it all! Take some "me" time when you can, even if it's just a bubble bath or a walk in nature! :heart:

@pamperedlinny I hope your visit with your parents goes well! Your Mississippi pot roast dinner looks really good! We make something similar in our crockpot. Glad you had a nice Easter.

@Bex953172 YAY YOU!!!! Nice loss!! I'm so happy for you! That had to have been a really nice surprise! I'm stuck at 182 and my first goal is to hit the 170's and not go back up. I hit 178 a couple times but the next week I'm right back in the 180's again. It's nice weather here this week so maybe I can get out a be a bit more active. Glad to hear you and Ash got a nice break for some alone time! :heart:

Just for Tuesday:
    24H Plan & Assess
    64 oz water
    Close activity rings
    15 min sewing room declutter / 15 min declutter upstairs / 15 min digital declutter
    Quilting video at mom's today
    Pick up April birthday cards - Bob, Kendra, Matt, Alli, Chrissy & Bradley Any others? CHECK!
    Get outside! Enjoy the weather!
    Evening Routine

2023 WOTY: Balance
  • more_freggies76
    Options
    Hour commitment - I won’t eat again until tomorrow. Can still have hot cocoa and my dose of metamusal.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,327 Member
    Options
    I have Product Safety & Conformance Rep training today and tomorrow. To say it is boring is an understatement, but it is a requirement that someone in the company be a PSCR, and that someone is me. Luckily we don't really make any safety products/parts for the automotive industry, just the plastic pellets other companies use. My liability is limited.

Been busy helping V with her theater projects and cooking for the kiddos who are at practice from 4:30 - 10:00 each night this week. Show opens on Sunday!

Other than that, puppy training which is not going well. She really doesn't care if she poops in the kennel and lays in it. She gets a bath or 2 every day it seems.

Well back to training catch you later.
  • pamperedlinny
    Options
    JFT:
    ☑️Drink at least 72oz water ✔️
    ☑️Stay under 1800 calories ✔️
    ☑️No coffee until 8am ✔️
    ☑️No food until 10am ✔️
    ☑️No food after 8pm ✔️
    ☑️Get at least 8000 steps today ✔️
    ☑️Check daughter's room for cleanliness ✔️
    ☑️Put away laundry ✔️
    ☑️Parents should be arriving today ✔️

So far so good on the drama front but it's only been since lunch yesterday. The parents did announce they changed the leaving plan to tomorrow afternoon instead of Friday morning. My daughter is going to be sad.... she wants to keep that dog. If we can keep away from anything controversial or where we differ too greatly until about 3pm tomorrow we'll have had a good visit. Fingers crossed we make it and keep on the smooth sailing course.

JFT:
    ☑️No coffee until 8am
    ☑️No food until 10am
    ☑️No food after 8pm
    ☑️Remember allergy pill before appt
    ☑️Allergist Appt & shots
    ☑️No drama! Get along with parents.
    ☑️Figure out the dinner plan that everyone can agree upon

• clicketykeys
    Options
    JFT Wednesday
    2. Online facilitation - Cover class. AGAIN. Review/revise lesson plans. SET TIMES. Update class website. Review article and prepare notes. Duolingo. Reply to emails. Grade late assignments. Journal. Create trivia sets for Blooket and Gimkit? Begin TPT unit. Set up TINAS script.
    3. Pit Crew - Chill time, I guess. See if anyone is going outside.
    4. Planning - Check on contract; then attendance forms. Reading (Libby). Update Goodreads! Do some deep stretchy squats and some crunches. PARENT CALLS. Cover class. Shoot TINAS script
    5. English class - DGP 9 / Intro Malala / Read section 1 / PS Check
    6. Lifting! Park walk? Need to clean out my home Gmail and set my YouTube videos back up again.
    7. Laundry. Check on books and dishes. Continue organizing office and setting aside space for books.
    8. Evening: Livestream. Dinner: Pizza. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    10. Upcoming: Set up digital portfolio. Get elastic for shoes & take to shoe repair. Saturday RC. NO YMCA or library volunteering. Sun RC. When to work on Clois & Stuffy? Need to purchase and install doors; need to repair joist. C nap in bedroom; keep blankets and pillows (and PJs!) in bedroom. Move OUR blankets and pillows to bedroom; keep atop bookshelf. PODCAST WEDNESDAY.

Scale goals
    Today: 203.8

Long-term goals/progress

WFTY: Priorities.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,327 Member
    Options
    More training today, but the instructor said it will be a short day. I think we have one chapter to cover and then a test. If we can finish up by noon I can attend the audit I thought I was going to miss. After that I need to do some "props" work for V's play. Bringing inanimate objects to life is tough. We made a whisk costume and now they want a corkscrew. She got it started last night, but I'll need to buy a few things to finish it. Show opens Sunday, nothing like last minute requests for costumes. The director is a nice guy, but organization is not his strong suit. I'm always amazed at how well things come together in the end because the process is a cluster. After working on props, I'm going to try and go pick up my new wedding band. Mine snapped, and Tim upgraded it instead of fixing it. I'm excited to see it. After that will be trivia, assuming I get all of my chores done.

Definitely need to get back on target here. My new clothes are starting to get too tight. Not cool! That and cycling season is starting and spandex is not forgiving.

JFT Wednesday
    - Work by 8:30
    - Meeting
    - Training @ 9:00
    - Testing
    - Audit
    - Hobby Lobby
    - Jewelry Store
    - Theater
    - Trivia
    - Log food
    - Stay on the low end for carbs
    - Limit 3 beers

Have a great day y'all!
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Why are kids so difficult and really like to put the pressure on?!
    Sorry I realise this is totally off topic but most of you have already been through the whole parenting thing and got the t-shirt but Christ, it's just occured to me that to be a good parent, I sometimes have to be the A*hole.

So Saskia, the eldest at 9, has been asking for a while but is now more persistent and serious about it, but she wants social media basically. She wants TikTok AND Snapchat. Because "all her friends use it".

My concerns, obviously, internet safety and inappropriate content. I honestly believe she's too young. But it's hard to keep up with the generation and what's annoying is I don't want her to be picked on/left out because she's not allowed to have it. And what blew my mind more was why didn't other parents have the same concern as me?
    (Oh and not ALL her friends have it, just some. I remember that trick)

I mean I remember the internet when I was a teen, older than sask now. It was much less regulated back then but some of the stuff I've seen. It's weird to grow up and realise the internet can actually also be dangerous.

She almost convinced me, I was gonna atleast check the apps and see what restrictions could be put in place. But I gave it a quick Google and realised I was right all along. She's too young.

So I suppose the reason for my post is do you agree with me? Or what's your opinion?
    At what point do I let her have it, because as much as the Google says "this app is 13+" or whatever. We've ALL done things before the legal age. We've all watched a 15 Rated.movie when we were like 12, under age drinking, smoking etc. Most of us have done something like that.

I just don't want to feel like I'm holding her back from things that alot of her generation seem to be doing, even though I'm doing it for good reason. And I don't want her to end up hating me for it further down the line

So my question is, where do you draw the line? Is it just based on what you think of your own kid and what you think they're able to handle and be responsible about?

I would not let her have it. Our fight with the girls was cell phones. We stuck it out and they didn’t get them until they could pay for them.

For an accurate idea of the internet issues, look at a FB guy named Officer Gomez. He is a school resource officer and the things he posts will ease your mind you are making the right decision.
    It’s scary stuff out there.