LESS Alcohol ~ APRIL 2023 ~ One Day at A Time

Options

Replies

• dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,553 Member
    Options
    @globalhiker, @joans1976 The big M was miserable for me. Also for me it lasted a long time. I still have night sweats sometimes when/if I drink red wine.

I had things that triggered them as well when I first began getting the flashes. Some things I wasn't willing to avoid, like coffee.

@globalhiker
    Let us know how the Amberen works for you.
    The doctors? You already exercise and eat healthy. 20 years from now are they going to think back to how glib they were about this?
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    I am Dawn, I live in South Eastern British Columbia.
    I joined this thread in November of 2018, a daily drinker at the time
    My primary goal with drinking less is weight loss.

My usual goal is 16-20 AF days for the month,
    I had 17AF days in March.

I do this diary style, I normally post the next morning.

Sunday April 10 - AF - Working long hours to get the garden started is a real trigger for me, which I need to avoid since there is like a month and a half of it to go until everything can be planted. Potatoes are in, pea garden has begun. Rain is forecasted for the next couple of days, so I wanted to get stuff planted on non-work days so as not to limit myself for time.
    Monday April 11 - Drinks. Zero willpower was the reason. Day 6, Day 10, and Day 16 are always my mini AF goals throughout the month. Going to hit the 6 Tuesday.

Rolling total: 5AF days out of 10 days.
  • brittgreenlikethecolor88
    brittgreenlikethecolor88 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Goal: AF - Sunday-Thursday.
    Less than 3 drinks per day on Friday & Saturday.

Apr 3 - MON: AF ✅
    Apr 4 - TUES: AF ✅
    Apr 5 - WED: AF ✅
    Apr 6 - THUR: AF ✅ 🎉
    Apr 7 - FRI: 5 Drinks ❌
    Apr 8 - SAT: 3 drinks ✅
    Apr 9 - SUN: AF ✅

Wow, you are really on a roll! I like the colors and the visuals too!

Thank you @globalhiker !! 😊
  • forestdweller1
    forestdweller1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    WOW...Cheesecake as an art form....y'all are awesome.
    Easter Dinner here was not exactly traditional, no ducklings were oranged, no legs of lamb were grilled...Middle Daughter and I each separately decided to make Reubens instead. Weird, but saving the holiday feast until everyone is home and feels healthy works for us.

If Wednesday is AF as planned, I'll be 6A-6AF for April. [Now that I've claimed it, I'm bound to do it, right?]

Lately I've found myself stopping a few times each day just to be thankful for small things. A sudden outbreak of rare Pittsburgh sunshine, FedEx actually delivering a package to my porch as opposed to dumping it 100 feet away on the side of the street, a phone call "just to talk" from 19 year old grandson, a deer or two munching ivy in the front yard.

@dawnbgethealthy ...how about a pair of those tight fitting goggles that one is "supposed" to wear while using a weedeater or chainsaw ? Look like a space creature while keeping windblown dirt out of your eyes. 🥽
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    GaryM_25 wrote: »
    Now just over two weeks into this twelve-week challenge, I think I've gotten the immediate first few weeks' benefit of the reduction of alcohol. So far, I've lost eleven pounds.

While the program is structured as a twelve-week program, I had almost fourteen weeks between the Monday I decided to start and the day when my wife and I leave on a nice trip. I've got just over eleven weeks to go. If I can lose another fourteen pounds over those eleven weeks, I'd be more than happy. That would be twenty five pounds lost. Right now, I think that's realistic.

Here's what my plan is:

1. Alcohol free at least six days a week. The program has a "free day" a week. This week, it'll be Thursday as my wife and I are taking her daughter, my daughter, and my daughter's boyfriend to see a production of Cats at the local dinner theater. So far, I've gone fifteen days alcohol free but I'm not necessarily committed to completely dry.

2. Six mini-meals a day with calorie counting on MFP. Including the "free days." My base calorie intake is about 1,600 calories a day to which exercise gives me opportunity for more.

3. Strength training 3x a week. I'm thankful the Y is only three blocks away. The program alternates between upper body and lower body workouts. This, I'm doing with my wife. We're working as partners with the same muscle groups in order and same number of sets usually on the same equipment. My program is pretty intense, as in I can't lift the bar up another time as I make ugly faces. She's just at different weights and reps. She's delighted to be doing this. She's at the year-and-a-half mark after a successful gastric sleeve surgery and is triggered us both to start when we did. She's motivated by quality of life and maintenance. It's me who needs the weight loss.

4. Cardio interval training 2x a week. The interval training is likewise intense. It's four cycles of intervals. In the final cycle, I hit a perceived exertion level of "10" that gets to max heart rate. If I can keep my plantar fasciitis managed, it'll really help me.

5. Cardio hour's walk 5x a week. I remote work and have a nice walking treadmill I keep under my office desk. Every workday, I find a least busy hour of the day, such as a meeting that I mostly need to listen to, that I can walk on the treadmill.

6. Additional 1x a week lifestyle cardio. Such as a hike with family. Last week, for instance, I put in over twenty miles between the running and walking.

This is really only the second time in my life to do something like this. The prior time was about two decades ago and worked out really well. I ended up staying on such an intense regimen for about two years from which I transitioned to being a "runner," As a runner, I had the speed to place among the top three in my age bracket in local 5K races. This is while the plantar fasciitis is so debilitating for me.

Thankfully, I am not starting from a dead stop. Over the ski season between walking and skiing, I was able to attain some sort of basic level of fitness. It was alcohol, food choices, and lack of true intensity in the workouts causing me to retain a layer of fat around a moderately in-shape heart, lungs, and core.

With this experience, I know well that it's a long journey and lifestyle, and that there are really no quick solutions. However, true habit change can result from periods of true focus. That's what I'm hoping to do.

Each of us have different stories, journeys, and needs for support. I appreciate the support this group provides as reduction of alcohol is centrally key to my hope.

You so inspire me! Life changes and we adapt. You have a game plan that is solid and will work! I was a trail runner and developed damage in a toe joint and lo and behold in and out of PT. But I like and appreciate your motivating post!
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    AF today!! Lost 4 lbs so far in 2 weeks! Combo WW, exercise, and AF days.

I was beyond desperate and spent $40 on Amberen for hot flashes and today was day 1 and I am way, way better. I had maybe only 2 mini-hot flashes today. And it was a very hot day - mid-90s. Half a cup coffee in the morning. No chocolate. Red wine I have not really had for about 10 years.

My Wednesday plan is to stay positive, keep my cool, focus on being happy and keep moving, be AF, and get maybe 10 min dip in the pool to cool down.
  • GaryM_25
    GaryM_25 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You so inspire me! Life changes and we adapt. You have a game plan that is solid and will work! I was a trail runner and developed damage in a toe joint and lo and behold in and out of PT. But I like and appreciate your motivating post!

I used to love trail running. I once tallied up from my log the number of miles hiked and trail ran in mountains and it was something like two or three thousand miles. Now though I live about an hour from good trails and it's only really feasible to hike on the weekends.

I don't know how much weight I'll lose on this program, but I do know I'm going to be in pretty good shape in not too many weeks provided the plantar fasciitis doesn't flair up.

So sorry about the toe joint damage. Is it permanent? Do you know?
  • buxtonlee
    buxtonlee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    60 hrs AF and 1kg off with 3kg to go. One medium intensity 2 hour ride and a recovery 1 hour spin today. If the weather is reasonable I’ll be doing a 4 hour hilly 50 mile route tomorrow. I don’t know if anybody body else can relate to this, but I find it harder not to drink when I’m in a really good mode, especially if I feel like I’ve achieved something constructive- a good day on the bike or some sort of DIY project (garden, house, car, bike etc)
  • RockinRobyn672
    RockinRobyn672 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    buxtonlee wrote: »
    60 hrs AF and 1kg off with 3kg to go. One medium intensity 2 hour ride and a recovery 1 hour spin today. If the weather is reasonable I’ll be doing a 4 hour hilly 50 mile route tomorrow. I don’t know if anybody body else can relate to this, but I find it harder not to drink when I’m in a really good mode, especially if I feel like I’ve achieved something constructive- a good day on the bike or some sort of DIY project (garden, house, car, bike etc)

Ha! @buxtonlee I'm the opposite on the weekends. A 30-mile bike ride means to me that I can have a beer at lunch at a craft brewery that has music. The thing that surprises me is that I can easily drink/eat to make up for the high-cal burn. But yes, during the week a spin, workout, or project after work, as you said, "something constructive", is very helpful and inspires me on both food and drink.
  • RockinRobyn672
    RockinRobyn672 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    @globalhiker Congrats on the weight loss. I'm glad the Amberen seems to be helping. Hang in there!
  • brittgreenlikethecolor88
    brittgreenlikethecolor88 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Goal: AF - Sunday-Thursday.
    Less than 3 drinks per day on Friday & Saturday.

Apr 3 - MON: AF ✅
    Apr 4 - TUES: AF ✅
    Apr 5 - WED: AF ✅
    Apr 6 - THUR: AF ✅ 🎉
    Apr 7 - FRI: 5 Drinks ❌ 🍺
    Apr 8 - SAT: 3 drinks ✅ 🍺
    Apr 9 - SUN: AF ✅
    Apr 10 - MON: AF ✅
    Apr 11 - TUES: AF ✅
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    @globalhiker
    Glad to hear that the Amberen is working for you. Congrats on dropping 4 pounds, you are so little that 4 pounds is a lot!

@forestdweller1
    Rueben? I haven't had one in a long time. There is a great little cafe in Bonner's Ferry Idaho that makes the best that I have ever had. I just haven't been down there in a long time.
    Yes, I wear safety glasses in the yard now : - )

@buxtonlee
    I am the same, when I work really hard and accomplish something is when I most want to "reward" myself with cocktails.