LESS Alcohol ~ APRIL 2023 ~ One Day at A Time

Options

Replies

• GaryM_25
    GaryM_25 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    @ahoy_m8 Yes, I am the primary holiday cook in the family. Weekdays and weekends, my stepdaughter and I do most of the cooking. My wife doesn't cook too much.

@MissMay Thanks for the confidence boost. I used to bake a fair amount when I had young children in the house but not much at all the last handful of years. (Sigh, sigh, sigh... It so much has been alcohol as the source of empty calories for me...)
  • Michieb125
    Michieb125 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    @MissMay way to run from the devil mango-Rita drink! How cool you were a baker! I love home baked everything.

@GaryM_25 you are doing great with your challenge and your family will be spoiled with your beautiful holiday meal. I agree having a clear mind with LA is refreshing.

@itladyee you won that Jeopardy game, way to go!

@dawnbgethealthy I'm sure you knocked your job interview out of the park! Hoping they can make some changes to bring you on somehow.

@lmlmrn sorry about the furniture that will not be going with you but a fresh new look is always something to look forward to.

@globalhiker great job on AF! Gotta have our chocolate too.

April accountability: total of 20-22 days AF this month
    AF - 3
    A - 1

Goal: Limit 2 glasses per day
    Personal best - 1-2 glasses
    AF tonight but will log tomorrow morning.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    joans1976 wrote: »
    @Womona I am right there with you sister. I start anti-estrogen therapy tomorrow and the side effects listed are horrifying. Weight gain is included. I have to take this to prevent cancer recurrence. Some women opt out of this treatment because the side effects are unbearable. I’m going to give it my all though! Fingers crossed for a smooth transition for you!

How long is the anti- estrogen therapy for? Hopefully it’s just temporary. So does that mean you can’t also eat soy or any other phytoestrogen foods? In the name of remaining cancer free, it’s worth it.

I just wonder, what to women with a family history of estrogen receptor cancer or blood clots do if they are in the throes of peri-menopause? If HRT is not an Option, what’s a girl to do???
  • Womona
    edited April 2023
    Options
    @forestdweller1 we moms never stop worrying. So sorry to hear about SIL#2, that’s rough. I hope he can get his meds, and that they work.

Tell ED to lock up her silver! Sounds like the evil stepsister is bad news.
  • Womona
    Options
    GaryM_25 wrote: »
    I'm convinced alcohol was a major contributor to weight. Starting from my highest weight ever, the scale told me I lost seven pounds my first week as a result of healthy eating, intense workouts, and no alcohol.

Wow, that’s amazing!!!! So simple, yet so challenging!!! You are a rock star!
  • Womona
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Just caught up on everyone’s posts!

@lmlmrn I’m so excited for you! What an adventure. Safe travels when you (hopefully) get to leave today!

2 AF days so far this week…. But I’m slowly easing into it by having a sip or two of whatever my husband and is drinking. I had a dinner to go to Tuesday night and had two huge glasses of wine. I should have just stuck to one. Planned glass tonight but that will be it.

For those who celebrate, I hope you have a joyous Passover!

As for Easter, this is the first time in about 30 years we are NOT either hosting or attending a huge extended family gathering. DS#2 isn’t even coming home for Easter, so me, Hubby and DS#1 are just having bagels and lox after church, and will cook a normal dinner. With (planned) Mimosas. Nothing special or fancy. It’s kind of nice not having the pressure to be somewhere or get the meal prepared or the house in order. Certainly nice to not have to fight traffic!

Spring has sprung in the Philly suburbs, it’s so beautiful. I need to get outside to hike and bike again. I’ve recommitting to going to the gym 3 times a week for strength. Whether I want to or not!

Now that USTA spring season is upon us, I’m on two teams so hopefully will get court time on at least one of them a week. Plus my weekly drill. Oh and I signed up for a weekly in-house tennis league that starts in May and lasts 7 weeks. So I’ll have plenty of exercise.

As for logging, I’m on and off with it. I usually eat the same thing all the time, and get lazy with logging after lunch. It’s the meals out and parties with heavy appetizers that I tend to not log. But, dammit, it works when I stay on top of it!

Looking back at my weight, it’s been creeping up and up for the last 3 years, but only a little. I wonder how much of that is peri menopause, and how much is muscle mass. All I know is that the only time I met my weight goal, I had Covid and could only eat about 3 calories per day. So clearly my weight goal needs to be bumped up a little. So instead of a goal of 128 (up from 125) I’m going to set it to 130. I’m 137 now. Fingers crossed.

Hope everyone has a great day. Know that I’m rooting for you all with your goals, and your struggles. Love this group!!!
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,570 Member
    Options
    Womona wrote: »
    joans1976 wrote: »
    @Womona I am right there with you sister. I start anti-estrogen therapy tomorrow and the side effects listed are horrifying. Weight gain is included. I have to take this to prevent cancer recurrence. Some women opt out of this treatment because the side effects are unbearable. I’m going to give it my all though! Fingers crossed for a smooth transition for you!

How long is the anti- estrogen therapy for? Hopefully it’s just temporary. So does that mean you can’t also eat soy or any other phytoestrogen foods? In the name of remaining cancer free, it’s worth it.

I just wonder, what to women with a family history of estrogen receptor cancer or blood clots do if they are in the throes of peri-menopause? If HRT is not an Option, what’s a girl to do???

I opted out of HRT (afraid of breast cancer and the other side effects), but really felt like I couldn't function with the perio/meno. Especially being a people facing worker with soaking wet hair and clothes and a red face every couple of minutes.
    I went into the local health food store just a mess.
    What I eventually ended up with was Estroven, and I stayed on it for 2 years, no longer noticing much more than 2 or 3 flashes per day, night sweats were gone.
    However, the proprietor gave me many choices, having come out the other end of it herself. Some were even guaranteed or money back. They are all a mixture of natural herbs, so they take 5-7 days to take effect unlike chemicals.

As for weight gain, you really are not that far off from where you want to be.
    I gained a great deal of weight during the whole perio/meno long phase of life, as did many of my friends. It does seem to fall off afterward with a bit of work. LA helped immensely, but also hormones normalizing.

So fun that you are gearing up for your tennis season : - )

• dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    @ahoy_m8

Resurrection cocktail? Do tell! What is in that?
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    I am Dawn, I live in South Eastern British Columbia.
    I joined this thread in November of 2018, a daily drinker at the time
    My primary goal with drinking less is weight loss.

My usual goal is 16-20 AF days for the month,
    I had 17AF days in March.

I do this diary style, I normally post the next morning.

Tuesday April 4th - 2 drinks between 3:30 and 4:30 after my interview. The shifts that they are looking to cover are basically the same as I already work at Spice Hut, so I don't think that it will work out for me. I need a second job, not to replace the job that I already have. We'll see, they are going to talk about it and get back to me. Planned AF until Friday.
    Wednesday April 5th - AF - Picked up a couple of extra shifts for Wednesday and Thursday dinners, so was home later than usual. Knowing that I have the same schedule for Thursday made it easy to stay AF Wednesday night. Lots of garden centre (temporary) jobs posted, but they pay very little and take place at the same time that I already work where I make tips which really raise my hourly wage. Still looking. Like @joans1976 I am on my own with all of the expenses of home ownership, so I really can't work a minimum wage job without going into deep debt while working 40 hours per week. It hasn't been a week yet since Foster Grant ended. I will find something for sure.

Rolling total: 3AF days out of 5 days.