Who here drinks just one 5oz glass of wine / night?

Options
13»

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Can't have it both ways, either you do or you don't.

*shrug* i disagree, but i'll clarify: every couple of years i get a yen for slush made out of orange juice that's been flavoured by a glug of red wine. one time in five i might i do something about it. usually i don't because i usually can't be arsed to go get me a bottle of wine, and if i did then i'd have an open bottle of wine in my fridge for the next four or five years.

i call that 'i don't drink' in the same sense that i would say 'i don't run' even though once in a million moons i might see the only bus for two hours already pulling up at the stop a quarter of a block away, and technically yes, i might 'run' to catch up to it. it happens, but it's by no means a regular part of my life.

idk why the drinking habits of people who aren't interested in alcohol get such beady-eyed attention from some of people who are, but hopefully that helped in some way.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    When one says one doesn't drink it should mean one doesn't drink. If one drinks once a year or once every five years, one drinks. It's okay for one to say one drinks on extremely rare occasions and sparsely even then.

i don't want to derail the op, but . . . i get the impression this may be a recovery//nonrecovery mindset difference. i can appreciate that there's a difference between 'i intentionally do not drink and never plan to' and someone like me, who 'doesn't drink' because she's just not interested.

i don't want to be obnoxious, but the fact is: for functional purposes outside the recovery context, usually that distinction just doesn't matter. if it does matter to someone i'm happy enough to explain where i am on the scale, i suppose - if it helps them to place me. but the rest of the time i'm darned if i'm going to go around using five or ten or fifteen words to micro-define exactly what kind of 'don't drink' i'm referring to, if those three straightforward words can convey enough meaning within the context i'm speaking to at the time.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have a bit of trouble with the do I drink or do I not drink thing.

Between the ages of 0 and about 28, I had a tiny dab of wine a couple times in a communion setting in church.

Between about 28 and 48, I had a couple drinks a year.

Since 48, I haven't had anything ... I'm just not that interested, but I'm not opposed to the idea of having a drink now and then.

According to my Dr, I don't drink.

According to a recovering alcoholic, I do.

Whatever ... give me chocolate any day. :grin:
  • LotusCass
    LotusCass Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I love a glass of wine and like you OP I struggle stopping at 1. Not because I want the buzz, I do love the taste and crave more. I don't drink on weekdays anymore (unless I've had a stressful day then do just limit to one) and have a couple of drinks on the weekend when my exercise calories are higher. I miss it though and when I'm on maintenance I will allow myself a couple of glasses every now and then on weekdays too.
  • kellieinkc
    kellieinkc Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    pdxwine wrote: »
    I have two glasses of wine per night. I am in the wine business, so this is less than most in my biz.

In Europe that's called "dinner." In America that's not uncommonly referred to as "alcoholic." I will never understand.

• Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have a glass of wine after dinner. When I'm counting calories, I measure out 5 oz. When I'm not counting calories, I pour a portion that I've come to realize is closer to 4 oz. I like one 4 oz glass best and have that sometimes a couple times a week, sometimes only a couple times a year. It has rarely occurred to me to have a second glass since I find the one more than satisfying.
  • DebbsSeattle
    DebbsSeattle Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have set a rule of no more than 2 alcohol units per day, on no more than 3 days per week. Sometimes I go over to 4 days a week and other weeks I end up abstaining all together. I discovered that after 20 years of being a wineaux (that is a fancy wine-o) that I experience HUGE pain the following day…by accident really….when we switched to Gin and tonic to try to limit our 2 bottles a night in order to cut empty calories. It remains a weakness, but if I just don’t open a bottle, I don’t drink it. If I open a bottle, there is a non-zero chance of sticking to 4 ounces total consumption. I believe that a 4 ounce serving upon occasion is NOT bad, but regardless, ALL alcohol damages our gut biome no matter the serving size. My pursuit of health preceded my weight loss goal. My focus on restoring the health of my gut biome has been so very instrumental in my health recovery and my 50# weight loss has just followed.