Time to Gain! Anyone running a bulk?

Options
1121314151618»

Replies

• I_AM_ISRAEL
    I_AM_ISRAEL Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    @nossmf
    A big indicator of whether or not you are gaining muscle, is your work load capacity. Are your lifts increasing? Are you doing more reps? Can you do more sets now with more weight?
    Keep track of your weight, 4-5 times a week, take the average, and there’s your number for the week. Adjust calories accordingly.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,993 Member
    Options
    Agreed, @I_AM_ISRAEL, but in my case an ineffective indicator. Following an elbow injury last November, I had to lay off the weights for four months to recover. (During those four months I hit cardio hard and dropped weight rapidly, so I'd be in prime position to start a bulk from as low BF% as I could get.)

I only started lifting weights a few weeks ago, easing in gradually with slowly increasing weights and volume as I tested my elbow. Good news was I was cleared to resume normal lifting starting yesterday, though even now I'm still using lighter weights, just normal volume (sets/reps/exercise selection). As the weeks progress from now I'll be able to track weight improvement, though it'll likely be another 3-4 weeks before I'm back to pre-injury weights.

Most of the time I don't notice my age, but when it comes to recovering from injuries, it sure takes a lot longer now than it did twenty years ago.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    xkb2x563lrnu.png

It's like a forever cut lol
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Been fluctuating weight for the past few months due to vacations and my birthday. Back down to 166 but just hit a milestone with Hip Thrust of 500 lbs. Boom!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,993 Member
    Options
    3x BW hip thrust, nice! How many reps? I'm doing 2x BW for sets of 5.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    3x BW hip thrust, nice! How many reps? I'm doing 2x BW for sets of 5.

For this phase, I run a top set for 2, then 3x5 @80%, then 2x10 @50%. So a whole lot of volume 😂.