What's more effective?

Options
2»

Replies

• thetdbomb
    thetdbomb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Diet
    Not all calories are created equal. Sugar and Carbs effect the body differently than protein. Just like different fuels burn differently...some burn completely others burn and leave residue. Yes both are important but you are able to lose weight without exercise, you can exercise and still gain weight (not from muscle, but from fat) depending on what you are eating.
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Excersize
    I voted exercise. Why? Because I have experienced weight loss using both methods independent of each other and lost weight faster with exercise alone. Maybe that's just me though. Howsomever, both is the best.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Excersize
    I voted exercise.. because when i exercise.. i also eat right and i lose weight and maintain. So, it is the combination of both. However, as soon as i stop exercising; .. it creeps back on. It works for me. and i think ultimately one has to learn their own behaviors and choose and or balance the two.
    t
  • GaryM_25
    GaryM_25 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Dear Little Bird, which is more effective, your left wing or your right wing?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Effective for what? Weight loss comes down to energy balance, so one could lose it just on eating less alone with no exercise, but they lose muscle and strength along with it.
    You can exercise while eating at a calorie deficit and keep what muscle you have along with getting fitter. But if you overeat, you won't lose weight regardless of how much exercise you do.
    So it really depends on what you're trying to achieve. In my business it's ALWAYS a combination of both.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    IMO, they aren't really mutually exclusive...diet and exercise are homogeneous. Where losing weight is concerned, diet is probably going to be the most important factor because cutting out 500 calories per day in food is more doable and sustainable than achieving a 500 calorie deficit daily with exercise when you consider rest and recovery as well as susceptibility to injury and time constraints. That said, regular exercise and/or being generally active gives a nice assist and being regularly active has massive health benefits that go well beyond weight management.

Personally, I find losing weight much easier if I'm regularly active...it gives me wiggle room for error as well as some room for indulgence. Eating well also makes me feel good physically and when I feel good physically I'm more apt to be more active. When I'm more active I also tend to eat better in general and crave nourishment and healthful foods. It's very much a symbiotic relationship for me.

I don't really "workout" per-sei all that much...the only thing I do that I really consider a "workout" is hit the weight room 3x per week. Other than that I pretty much actively recreate...I walk my dog, I hike, I ride my bike, I do some mountain biking and trail riding, some kayaking in the summer, skiing in the winter, etc. Mostly I just eat well most of the time and engage in some kind of physical activity daily and I don't find those things to be mutually exclusive, but rather both are important to overall health and well-being as well as weight management.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Depends. exercise is more important if your goal is fitness related. If your goal is weight-related (gain or loss), then diet is more effective.
  • GaryM_25
    GaryM_25 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Depends. exercise is more important if your goal is fitness related. If your goal is weight-related (gain or loss), then diet is more effective.

Or if your goal is to stay alive? Here, I'd pick diet. But then if I were being chased by a tiger, I'd pick exercise.

What kind of question asks which is better without asking about for what or at what?

Which is better? A fork or a spoon?

Of course, it depends.

But in addition to "it depends," "why pick?" A fork and spoon (and knife) are rather customarily used. Diet and exercise are rather customarily used.

Use both for what they're good at.
  • irisheyes1125
    irisheyes1125 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Diet
    You can't out-exercise a bad diet. In terms of physical and mental overall health, both are important. Which takes precedence depends on your end goal: lose weight and tone up or tone up and lose a little weight. imho
  • rlclifford9
    rlclifford9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Diet
    Diet so far.😊
  • coffeeandtruecrime
    coffeeandtruecrime Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Diet
    You only need to have a good eating habits to lose weight if your talking about weight loss, as fitness will not help if you have bad eating habits or are overeating. For overall health you should try to get both, but if you have a disability or condition that makes that hard than focus on what you are eating first, or only.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!