Resource Page for Sleep, Mindfulness and Overall Wellness

Options
Nova
Nova Posts: 9,943 MFP Staff
Hey all,

We'd love to create a resource page for this category of things that have helped you with your mental health, sleep, meditation, mindfulness, yoga, etc. We'll add some resources too, but curious if there is anything from apps, to processes, to types of food, things that are helpful to say out loud, breathing exercises, etc, or anything of that nature that has been helpful for you.

Replies

• LlamamaLoca
    LlamamaLoca Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased and worked through a '30 Day Happiness Challenge' by Dr. Daniel Amen

One of the chapters was about getting better sleep (a key component of happiness, for sure!). He recommended music that had been designed to calm your brain and help with sleep. I thought it was a bit hokey but gave it a try because it was part of the challenge.

OK. Call me a believer, now! He has a song on Spotify that has been amazing for me (it's 4 or more min long, but I put it on loop mode)

Here's a sample of a different song:
    https://youtu.be/wmEvsh5tNo8

And an explanation about his approach (there's a subscription, so ignore the sales pitch and get the details about how it works)

https://youtu.be/AaXD7BrlV3c

• lcharpentier2
    lcharpentier2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I have cookie at night the good kind helps me sleep. I started at 70 so I don't think it will do any damage to the system.
  • mlpatrick335
    mlpatrick335 Posts: 9 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    As I add more steps daily, from about 200 when I began MFP gradually increasing to over 3000, I sleep better. More exercise equals better sleep.
  • Melaney1
    Melaney1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments, they are very helpful.
    Always looking for something new to try. Good luck , sweet dreams.
  • 200Karen
    200Karen Posts: 1,764 Member
    Options
  • superironmom
    superironmom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Add me 🌸 looking for more friends
  • matinaaz
    matinaaz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I find not eating at least two hours before bed helps me fall asleep faster. When I eat closer to going to bed I toss and turn.
  • ellensgerhart
    ellensgerhart Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do both Taijichuan (Tai Chi) and Qigong. In the morning it helps gently shake off any overnight stiffness, and before bed, it helps my mind relax. The breathing techniques help me fall back to sleep if I wake up during the night. I also occasionally use a Dream Machine with nature sounds and a timer.
  • Zebra_Aitch
    Zebra_Aitch Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have had Major sleep issues ,
    it started 30 plus years ago because my young daughter had nighttime seizures, and I had to be up during the night to see to her and I was always on high alert, never really getting a deep sleep, my cortisol must’ve been skyhigh.
    I then had surgery on my spine and have had pain for most of my adult life, so the combination of this really affected my sleep patterns.
    She grew up ! and left home ! and I now have a bedtime routine of sorts. I only have the lights very low in the house after 6 pm, only watch or read calm things ! Warm bath , meditation,

and then I found …….ASMR !

I listen to it on YouTube , you have to listen through headphones as it’s like a 3-D experience ,,There are many many different ones , I prefer the ones that are like an experience of a spa or head massage, some recordings are really not for me, but it’s finding the ones that suits you, it REALLY helped me during times of great stress,