Let's Talk Pro-Chocolate: Real Kinds We Like, How We Eat/Use Them

Options

Replies

• Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I had a meeting with a nutritionist today to ensure that I am eating correctly to maintain bone density given my history with chemo/early menopause/shrinking and now being slightly underweight (she is working on that too —this sort of makes me feel ridiculous after weight loss that I can’t gain/sustain weight when I know full well how to do it…. But that is another issue).
    She recommended a calcium and vitamin D supplement called Adora that comes in the form of individually wrapped dark or milk chocolates. It is made by a chocolatier and available at Whole Foods, Wegmans and other better grocery chains as well as online. I bought some of the dark chocolate and they are similar to the dove candies, Really pretty good. I am supposed to have 2-3 a day (ideally not all at once) to get 1200 mg of calcium.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,515 Member
    Options
    @Sinisterbarbie1 I can get behind Vitamin Chocolate. This product has my full endorsement. 😂
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    One of my fav chocolate bars .. and now they do a set of their 3 darkest. I usually end up leaving Whole Foods with a few of these. 🤎

ozhmeh5d3sn5.jpeg
  • no1racefan2
    no1racefan2 Posts: 84 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Oh look, my new favorite thread! I LOVE chocolate in all forms..... my favorite chocolate bar is z1a0bc4uloe1.png

I like the salty flavor best, but they're all good. It's expensive though, and hard to find locally, so it's an occasional splurge. Second favorite is Endangered Species brand.

Lately I've been buying dark chocolate covered almonds--I justify it by getting that tiny little source of protein, lol. DH likes dark chocolate covered coffee beans.

I'm pretty good at rationing my chocolate (most of the time) but DH on the other hand is a chocolate monster. Any chocolate in the house, including my chocolate chip stash for baking, is not safe....
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Omg yes, have you had the Forest Feast salted dark chocolate roasted almonds? They are so so good!
    Dangerous though… too easy to scoff uncontrollably in a moment of weakness.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 790 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Chocolate Truffles. Fun to make and eat- this is totally my jam. Just top with your favorite extras. I have a HARD time buying chocolates now.

npsnxziy5qku.jpeg

Yield: About 1½ cups ganache, or 24 truffles
    ⅞cup heavy cream
    8ounces good quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped
    Unsweetened cocoa powder as needed
    Be sure to chill for a least an hour

Step 1
    Heat cream in a pot until it steams. Put chocolate in a bowl, pour hot cream on top, and stir until chocolate is melted and incorporated into cream.
    Step 2
    Chill until solid all the way through, 1 to 2 hours. Using a chilled melon baller or latex gloves to prevent the ganache from melting or sticking to your hands, scoop out about a tablespoonful and quickly roll it into a ball. Repeat, lining truffles on a plate or a baking sheet.
    Step 3
    If truffles become too soft to handle, place them in refrigerator or freezer for a few minutes. Roll them in cocoa powder, confectioners’ sugar or a mixture of sugar and ground cinnamon. Serve immediately or store, wrapped in plastic, in refrigerator for up to four days
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    Oh look, my new favorite thread! I LOVE chocolate in all forms..... my favorite chocolate bar is z1a0bc4uloe1.png

I like the salty flavor best, but they're all good. It's expensive though, and hard to find locally, so it's an occasional splurge. Second favorite is Endangered Species brand.

Lately I've been buying dark chocolate covered almonds--I justify it by getting that tiny little source of protein, lol. DH likes dark chocolate covered coffee beans.

I'm pretty good at rationing my chocolate (most of the time) but DH on the other hand is a chocolate monster. Any chocolate in the house, including my chocolate chip stash for baking, is not safe....

I just saw this in the store today - They only had Hazelnut Dark Chocolate and the Salty Dark. I was tempted, but it was $8...however, now with your indorsement....I just might have to get one☺️ (I'm easily persuaded when it comes to dark chocolate though lol!)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    Chocolate Truffles. Fun to make and eat- this is totally my jam. Just top with your favorite extras. I have a HARD time buying chocolates now.

npsnxziy5qku.jpeg

⅞cup heavy cream

Step 1
    Heat cream in a pot until it steams. Put chocolate in a bowl, pour hot cream on top, and stir until chocolate is melted and incorporated into cream.
    Step 2
    Chill until solid all the way through, 1 to 2 hours. Using a chilled melon baller or latex gloves to prevent the ganache from melting or sticking to your hands, scoop out about a tablespoonful and quickly roll it into a ball. Repeat, lining truffles on a plate or a baking sheet.
    Step 3
    If truffles become too soft to handle, place them in refrigerator or freezer for a few minutes. Roll them in cocoa powder, confectioners’ sugar or a mixture of sugar and ground cinnamon. Serve immediately or store, wrapped in plastic, in refrigerator for up to four days

I experimented with whipping my ganache (electric mixer) before chilling, enough to lighten up, not enough to turn the cream into butter (if that's even possible?). I liked the results a lot - made them that way every time, afterward. YMMV.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ddsb1111 wrote: »

npsnxziy5qku.jpeg

⅞cup heavy cream

Step 1
    Step 2
    Step 3

I experimented with whipping my ganache (electric mixer) before chilling, enough to lighten up, not enough to turn the cream into butter (if that's even possible?). I liked the results a lot - made them that way every time, afterward. YMMV.

I’ll check back with pics when I try, can’t believe I never thought of this.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Probably I'm secretly bumping this thread out of a deeply-hidden impulse to make trouble at holiday time, but I'm not that great at self-psychoanalysis so . . . .

I'm here to report that I found the Bouchard dark chocolates at Costco again, presumably as part of their holiday festivities. We'd discussed them earlier in the thread. Only 28 calories per small individually-wrapped chocolate, very dark, rich-tasting, minimal sweetness.

2od1z2ejg8fc.jpg

tc9lotc0crna.jpg

• history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bumping, @AnnPT77; this thread deserves pride of place. And since ‘tis the season, I’ll take this opportunity to promote my favourite chocolate provider, Peace By Chocolate, founded by a Syrian refugee family who made a new life in small-town Nova Scotia after losing everything, including their chocolate factory, in the war. The chocolate is amazing, and I believe they now ship globally.

https://peacebychocolate.ca/
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,515 Member
    Options
    I just discovered there is a See’s holiday pop up store not five miles from me.

Heaven help me.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Made a trip to the Oh MI mothership today. Calories ahead . . . . but so good.

zqzvtskv9sxm.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,293 Member
    Options
    Funny I picked tonight to have a sweet chocolate decaf.

I can't drink coffee after about noon or 13:00 or it affects my sleep, but I really wanted one after dinner. That doesn't happen often. I decided I might as well also make it dessert.

This time of year I always pre-heat my mug. Then I put in some brown sugar and a very large spoon of unsweetened cocoa powder, mixed it up with a tiny bit of boiling water, and made a pour-over decaf on top of that.

It was really really delicious. Hit the spot.

Yes I know chocolate has some caffeine. I hope I still can sleep.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

I can't drink coffee after about noon or 13:00 or it affects my sleep, but I really wanted one after dinner. That doesn't happen often. I decided I might as well also make it dessert.

This time of year I always pre-heat my mug. Then I put in some brown sugar and a very large spoon of unsweetened cocoa powder, mixed it up with a tiny bit of boiling water, and made a pour-over decaf on top of that.

The Oh MI shop I just posted about has a thing they call "Choffee". I had one today. It's brewed coffee (they made a new pot fresh for me!), and the customer chooses one of their coconut-oil based chocolates to have melted into the cup of coffee. Today, I went classic and chose a mint chocolate: The shop is in a big mint-growing area, and those chocolates have local mint oil. Yum.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,293 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    mtaratoot wrote: »

The Oh MI shop I just posted about has a thing they call "Choffee". I had one today. It's brewed coffee (they made a new pot fresh for me!), and the customer chooses one of their coconut-oil based chocolates to have melted into the cup of coffee. Today, I went classic and chose a mint chocolate: The shop is in a big mint-growing area, and those chocolates have local mint oil. Yum.

That sounds tasty too.

The only thing I don't like about using cocoa powder is that I have to keep stirring it or it settles back out on the bottom. I don't mind, but I have to remember to do it before I take another sip. Our food co-op sells buttons of chocolate liquor. I have bought them before, and I should get some more. I bet they would stay in suspension better. Plus, they still have the cocoa butter. Cocoa powder is just the solids without the cocoa butter. But I ~have~ the cocoa powder in the house!

I think the chocolate liquor buttons are tasty on their own even though they aren't sweetened. I have a low tolerance for sweet anymore. Another thing that you can do with them to make a tasty snack is crush them up a little and mix them with some dried fruit (cranberries or cherries are great) and maybe some nuts (slightly busted-up Oregon hazelnuts and walnuts). Leave it in the sun or some warm place for them to sort of melt together, then let solidify again. You can even just spread them on a tray and put them in a warm oven. Bust it back up and they are pretty tasty. As a bonus, chocolate liquor has protein, calcium, iron, and fiber.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Skyleen75 wrote: »
    Sooo lately I’ve been eating total garbage milk chocolate Hersey Kisses and loving every single one.
    Hard for a former chocolate snob to admit!

i love junk chocolate!

i've just discovered that if you make a serving of jello cook and serve chocolate pudding and add 1 hershey's zero sugar piece it's really really good! i like york zero sugar peppermint patties, but i didn't like 'em in pudding.
  • enlightenme3
    enlightenme3 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    My son-in-law is from Ann Arbor, MI and shares with us a chocolate chunk sourdough loaf from Zingerman's Bakery that his parents send him. Yum. Since I make all my own sourdough bread, I tried to replicate it using Trader Joe's 72% bittersweet chocolate as an inclusion to the standard Tartine Bakery loaf. Yummm. Not sure how it compares directly since I didn't have both on hand at the same time. Nice dessert with a spread of kerry gold butter on it.