Active 60+

Options
Dulceyme
Dulceyme Posts: 1 Member
Hello Community
I am nearing 70 and want to go on being active. Pre diabetic and high cholesterol (no meds yet) and want to stay this way as much as possible.
It may sound trivial but have these 15 lbs that can’t will not leave me. I have felt them too.
I have monitored my eating and yes emotional eater predominately after 7:00pm.
I am not a Keyo, macro or Intermittent faster (loss a lot of hair with this one).
Any suggestions?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,774 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    At 59-60, I did this:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

. . . to lose around 50 pounds, and it's what I've done to maintain a healthy weight since (now 67). I'm very active, but was very active for around a dozen years while remaining overweight/class 1 obese. Sadly, being active alone holds no ultimate weight loss magic, without (at minimum) a holding action on the food front.

That (linked) approach won't work for everyone, but it's one option.

Another thing to think about is that the average person's lifestyle - the daily life stuff - becomes a little less active as we age. We're not chasing toddlers anymore, not doing as physical jobs (maybe no job at all), maybe downsizing the living space so less cleaning/maintenance, etc. There's a thread here about increasing daily life movement, with many MFP-ers ideas for doing that intentionally:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

As a final thing, I don't know what your activity consists of, but it's fairly common as we age to gradually, subtly lose muscle mass, and maybe have reduced mobility. I'm not talking about losing mobility to an extreme here - like not being able to be mobile at all, needing assistive devices for daily life, etc. - though those of course can be challenges for some, sadly. Here, I'm talking about just getting a little bit stiffer, with less range of motion, or less freedom across that range, than when we were younger. (Example: I don't know about you, but I see a lot of people our age making jokes about how it's hard to get up off the floor.)

The muscle mass loss does reduce our calorie burn at rest, but it's just a tiny number of daily calories. The bigger impact of those things is that it gets gradually less easy and less fun to move, so we do less of it, maybe without noticing because it's such a slow thing. Strength improvement usually improves fast at first (from better recruiting and using existing muscle fibers, a.k.a. neuromuscular adaptation, NMA). Muscle mass increase is later and slower, but the strength increase itself is useful in daily life and facilitates more movement.

The muscle mass decrease is something that "just happens" for a lot of people, unless we routinely do something that challlenges our current strength level. Strength training (weight lifting or bodyweight strength exercise) is most efficient and effective, but any challenge to strength can help. Maybe you're already doing that, I don't know. But if someone isn't challenging their strength, that's a thing to start doing, to maintain independence (and keep calorie burn perking along better at rest and via more motion). It's a slow process, but worthwhile IMO.

The mobility issue, IMO, means that it can be useful to do some intention things to keep range of motion free and effective. That can be stretching, yoga, well-chosen exercise activities, specific mobility exercises, or whatever.

Eating - getting calories eaten in line with calories burned to accomplish our weight management goals - is the key thing for body weight. But working on the strength/mobility issues, daily life movement, and intentional exercise can all increase our calorie burn and make that go better, long term. Besides, movement is fun, as you know. Punitively intense unpleasant exercise is not necessary, and can even be counter-productive.

Wishing you success!

• Nanadough1
    Nanadough1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just turned 70! UGH!!
    I’ve been tracking food and exercise for two months now. It’s been SLOW, but I’ve lost 11 pounds. Have 5- 6 more to go.
    I’m very active and earn additional calories daily (300-600), but I try not to use them. I think diligent tracking, staying within your calorie budget and lots more movement makes a difference. AND lots of patience. Good luck!
  • strongwendysue14
    strongwendysue14 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just turned 63 and am determined to shape up. I want to get out of my "stroll around the block" habit and back into strength training, balance work, flexibility and general senior exercises. I lost 24 pounds last year, but have seen half of it creep back on. I'm at a "no mas" point.
    I live pretty far off the beaten path and need to find my exercise guidance on YouTube.
    I have light dumb bells, stretchy bands and yoga stuff.
    If anyone has any favorite YouTube for senior exercise channels they recommend, please let me know.
    For now, I really want to emphasize strength and flexibility.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,774 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I just turned 63 and am determined to shape up. I want to get out of my "stroll around the block" habit and back into strength training, balance work, flexibility and general senior exercises. I lost 24 pounds last year, but have seen half of it creep back on. I'm at a "no mas" point.
    I live pretty far off the beaten path and need to find my exercise guidance on YouTube.
    I have light dumb bells, stretchy bands and yoga stuff.
    If anyone has any favorite YouTube for senior exercise channels they recommend, please let me know.
    For now, I really want to emphasize strength and flexibility.

If you are in the US and have access, you could take a look at the videos or live virtual classes from Silver Sneakers or AARP. I've tried some of those, and they're very well-produced, plus some of my 60+ friends love them, but TBH I don't have any of them on repeat use. (I'm not a big video-doer, among other reasons - the videos themselves seem good, just don't suit me personally.)

https://videos.aarp.org/category/videos/fitness

Silver Sneakers has a YouTube channel. There are virtual classes and other things on their web site, but for those I think you need a membership though health insurance.

Both of those have quite a bit of content for flexibility, balance, and strength as well as cardio, and the ones I tried used minimal equipment similar to what you describe having, or no equipment at all.

ETA postscript/afterthought: I'm not implying that I don't exercise. I row (boats when I can, machines when I must), bike (trails when I can, stationary when I must), lift some at home, etc. I'm 67, female, but have been quite active since my late 40s . . . stayed obese until 59-60, though. ;)