Half Marathon training support group?

Options

Replies

• bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Just an injury upday: I took everyone's advice and went to the doctor- who then sent me to the sports trainers here at my school- who told me I need to see a podiatrist if I want to heal and prevent further issues

. Diagnosis is bilateral tendonitis in both ankles. No running until it's healed and I see the podiatrist.

Needless to say I am pretty much devastated about the set back.
  • brmonet
    brmonet Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ill join you. I want to run a marathon within the next three years. I can run 6 miles in an hour so far.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Just an injury upday: I took everyone's advice and went to the doctor- who then sent me to the sports trainers here at my school- who told me I need to see a podiatrist if I want to heal and prevent further issues

. Diagnosis is bilateral tendonitis in both ankles. No running until it's healed and I see the podiatrist.

Oh, that's a bummer :( Hopefully you have a quick recovery.
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Please add me to the group. I'm running a 1/2 marathon in April 2012.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm having pangs. Maybe, just maybe, I'll try two hours at the weekend and see how my bits and bobs hold out on a flatter course. It's the weekend of the last long training run.

Hang in there Berry, I know you must be feeling pretty gutted after the tough 10k but that doesn't mean you have to give up.
    Why not keep on training at the level that you can sustain without injuring yourself and just shift your goal to another 10k or another half with a longer lead in time?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I ran 10k distance today. My foot feels great. It didn't bother me at all. I think I will probably do an easy 2-3 miles before 10k race on Sunday!

I'm glad the foot is feeling better... enjoy your training and the race!
  • Newpilgrim
    Options
    I'd love to jump in. I'm running my 3 1/2 marathon on November 26th in Seattle (The Seattle 1/2 Marathon). I use Hal Higdon's intermediate training schedule. Good luck with your race!
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options

It's hard having a setback, but give yourself time to heal properly. If you don't, you will keep having problems.
  • JonC03
    Options
    So with winter coming up very quickly does anyone have reccomendations as to how they get their run in to keep training. I live in michigan right on lake michigan and get a lot of snow. I know there is a treadmill i just really dont enjoy running on a treadmill for a hour at a time. Thanks
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    So with winter coming up very quickly does anyone have reccomendations as to how they get their run in to keep training. I live in michigan right on lake michigan and get a lot of snow. I know there is a treadmill i just really dont enjoy running on a treadmill for a hour at a time. Thanks

Jon, I only run one day a week, I do Insanity indoors 5 days and run on day 6. I'm able to maintain my distance, and don't have to worry about the weather as much as I figure at least "one" day somewhere in the week I can catch a break and get out there on the roads. In your area, I'd probably invest in those spike things for your shoes and dress in layers.
  • mlb929
    Options
    I did super on my 12 mile run today. I really worked on the super hill I run up, and my form with pumping my arms more, it worked super and I got up it w/o losing pace or stopping By mile 12, its was really hot and I was ready to be done, but finished it in a super pace, which I'm pleased with.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options

So sorry! I hope it heals soon for you!

As far as winter running, I know winter here is nothing like winter where you are BUT I have ran in snow and freezing temps. I use yaktrax on my shoes and just bundle up. I keep my snowy runs to 2-3 miles and am definitely slower.
  • mlb929
    Options
    I had an odd running experience today. I run long straight country roads. They are surrounded by fields, from corn to wheat, watermelon, onions, etc, a variety of farms in the area. Today, when I was running, the road was sticky, clearly my shoes were sticking to the road, you could hear the snapping sounds of the shoe pulling off the road. I ended up running more in the traffic lane to avoid it, which was OK as there aren't a lot of cars in the general area. Curiosity is killing me to know exactly what it was. Watermelon season is past, which may explain the sticky, but it rained last weekend so I would think whatever they are harvesting now, I couldn't tell from the fields. Just very odd experience.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Hey running friends! Sorry I haven't checked in on you all. Thanks for the comments about the photos, it really was a great race, hard not to smile while doing it :)

Berry ~ Sorry you feel miserable at the back of the pack, I agree running should be enjoyable. If you don't like it, why do you do it? Good luck over the winter!

MLB ~ I think it's amazing you only run once a week! I might have to try that next year...except I really enjoy running the short ones ;-P Nice work on your long run!

Peachy ~ I was going to run that one! But we decided to do one closer to home, good luck! I just completed a half, and I am now training for a full, also on Nov 5th

Summertime ~ Yikes! I hope you're feeling better!

Urbanhippie ~ Yeah on your foot feeling better. Good luck tomorrow!

Linnea ~ I need to go sign up for the Turkey Trot here, good luck! Hope the allergies go away soon! Congrats on your PR!

Adhillman ~ You will do awesome on your half!! Sorry about losing a toenail though, it's common among us runners though.

Bprague ~ so glad you went to the doc! So sorry about not being able to run, but obviously it's what needs to be done. You'll get back out there once you're healed, but understand how devestated you must feel!

Welcome to all the new runners! Good luck on your training and upcoming races!

Jon ~ I'm not a treadmill runner, so if there isn't ice, I will get out there. If there is, I just won't run! lol I do love running when the snow is falling, so peaceful and quiet :)

Kimert ~ can you feel the yaktrax when you run? Do they take some getting used to? I'm always tempted to get some...but...

Logged 27 miles this week! (8, 5, 14) My 14 miler this morning was definitely harder than last weekends half marathon, but I ran faster and longer so it's to be expected (and my 3y.o. woke me up at 3:30am and I couldn't fall back asleep...and it was 40 degrees out!) I felt I worked to get it done, but not too hard. The 13th mile was the hardest, pushed through and the last mile wasn't as bad. I'm still trying to warm up though!! Brrr!

So speaking of colder temps, what is your favorite running gear for winter? Today I just wore a long sleeved under armor shirt under one of my tech shirts but could have used another layer I think. It took forever for me to warm up when I got home!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Ran a quick 2 miles today. Tomorrow is 10k race. Wish me luck! Only like 2 1/2 more weeks to my half!
  • kated930
    Options
    Ran a quick 2 miles today. Tomorrow is 10k race. Wish me luck! Only like 2 1/2 more weeks to my half!

Good Luck!!!!
  • kated930
    Options
    So today is not the most ideal running wether:
    A. It's hot and muggy
    B. Looks like it could rain any minute

So I'm not sure if I want to do my 11 miler outside, but I definitely can't do it on the treadmill. So I looked it up. The gym is 3.5 miles away. I could run to the gym, run 4 miles on the treadmill, then run back. Do you think this is okay??? Titanic is on at 4pm so I can time it so I can watch it for my 4 miles at the gym, which would be nice!

Let me know what you guys think!
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Today's forecast: "Abundant sunshine. High around 80F, winds light and variable."

Well HELLOOOOO FALL!!!!

Was about 65 degrees for my 3 miler this morning, and it was the fastest time I'd run this particular route. Total miles this week was 16. :)

7 miles tomorrow, and since the weather has been so nice, I'm really looking forward to some longer runs.

Going out of town next weekend, and will be doing some crosstraining with some beautiful hikes in the smoky mountains, but I doubt I'll be able to do much running. So I will be juggling my schedule quite a bit:

Sunday 7 miles
    Monday 3 miles
    Tuesday 7x400 intervals
    Weds: 4 miles
    Thurs: 8 miles before we leave
    Fri/Sat will be hiking
    Sunday rest or 3 miles (depends on what time we get back and how I'm feeling after such a busy week!)

Urbanhippierunner - good luck tomorrow! I love the 10K distance!

mlb - that's weird... I have no idea what it could be, but I get annoyed when I'm walking in a store, or down a hallway in a building and my regular shoes stick, I can't imagine it happening during a run!
  • kated930
    Options
    I am so discouraged :(

I decided that Id run my 11 miles outside once I checked the weather and the sun was coming out.
    Well, I made it 8.5 miles and I honestly couldn't run anymore. The first 2 miles I had a side cramp, by mile 8 I was dripping sweat ( its 75 and muggy), bugs were stuck all over my body, in my nose and eyes, overall it was just a miserable run and I couldn't take it anymore. PLUS I have a 5 miler race tomorrow that I am running and I want to be able to do it.

Is this really going to mess up my training? I feel so unaccomplished.
  • curlytop89
    curlytop89 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Katie - Great job on the 14 miler. I hope to be able to do that some day.

Theresa- Good luck on your 10k. Almost to the half!

Kated930- I think as long as you get your distance in, it doesn't matter where you do it. Mixing it up is probably better than just the treadmill alone. I know running outside is different than running on the treadmill. For me it is easier to fall off pace and no realize it. Guess I need one of those watches, ha ha.

Peachy- my half is the weekend before yours on teh 29th of October. The Jazz Half in New Orleans.

BerryH- Are bits and bobs your feet? just wondering. If so, I hope they survived the weekend.

I had my long run today, 10miles. I felt okay during it and fell off the Jeff Galloway program and didn't take walk breaks except to drink my gatorade at the halfwaypoint. I felt strong enough at the end, but my pace was 9:44 min miles. I think I actually ran my last 5 faster than my first 5. Sometimes I get nervous that I will run out of steam and hold back too much. I did this same half marathon last year at 2hrs and 3 minutes and I was hopeing to get under 2 hours. I'm not feeling so confident after todays run. I think I could push a bit harder, but we'll see. Last year, I was spent at about the 11 mile mark. There was no way I was picking up the pace for the last two. I am going to do a couple longer runs this year before hand in stead of just stopping at the 10 or 11 mile mark. I might go to 12 or 13 even, just to see. I still have 5 weeks before my half. I am kinda doing the hal higdon novice 2. I was running my 5 and longer runs for the past two weeks with he walk breaks, but I'm not feeling that so much. I am very tired today, but could be a lot of time on my feet yesterday at work then staying up a little later than I should have last night. We'll see next week.

Marcie