How did you teach yourself to slow down your eating?

Options
2»

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,081 Member
    Options
    astengo1 wrote: »
    Eat with your opposite hand

This is actually how I discovered I was ambidextrous. A college buddy broke his arm, had to do everything lefty for several weeks. In a show of solidarity, several of us all agreed to also go lefty, at least when around our injured brother. Got several sour looks when I proved just as proficient with my left hand as my right, which surprised me until I thought about how my mother's a righty, my dad's a lefty. My handwriting with my left hand looks like an elementary school kid's, but I attribute that more to lack of practice than lack of ability.
  • fatguy_fitness
    fatguy_fitness Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    astengo1 wrote: »
    Eat with your opposite hand

That's actually a pretty good idea!
  • BeanieBean93
    BeanieBean93 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm a really slow eater by nature. My fiance on the other hand is a speedy eater. Some differences I've noticed -
    he stands while he eats / I always sit at the table and don't walk around while I eat
    he'll eat out of containers or boxes / I put my food on a plate, or at least a napkin/papertowel
    he eats with his hands if needed / I don't like touching food with my fingers (unless it's chips or crackers or something) so I usually have a utensil or two
    he doesn't drink with meals / I literally require at least two drinks to have with meals and I take regular breaks to take sips
    he'll mix a bunch of stuff together on a fork / I'm iffy on mixed food so I tend to break things apart and taste all components separately
    he eats and talks (gross!)/ I make it a point to chew, swallow, then talk. So if we're having a conversation and I'm talking a lot, I usually end up with a cold plate of food.

Some of the above are results of having an eating disorder(working on that!) but some of them are just preferences from childhood. I've never been a really fast eater but I'm also working on picking up the pace and meeting my fiance somewhere in the middle.

Maybe set a timer goal for yourself and see if you can make the meal last for the timer. Start slow, adding a couple minutes at a time. You got this!
  • noodlesno
    noodlesno Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it has been mentioned above but a standard way to slow your eating down is to eat without distractions, such as tv or phone. Then put your knife and fork down between every bite so when you are chewing there is nothing else going on with your hands or your eyes.

• Jmatievich
    Jmatievich Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My partner eats super fast and I notice that she’ll take another bite while she still has food in her mouth whereas I chew and swallow before taking another. We eat about the same amount but she finishes way faster.
  • Kait_Dee
    Kait_Dee Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I’m a fast eater as well. My hacks include:

I use the smallest cutlery I can find. The fork has three prongs and the spoon is something designed for high tea I’m sure. Lol!

I put my cutlery down every so often.

I cut my food smaller.

I walk away for a second if the meal is large.

Mindful practices such as thinking about the texture of the food, appreciating the tastes, assessing the spices. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Chew each bite 20 times. Not only will you taste it more, it WILL digest easier instead of big chunks that don't. Not to go on TMI, but my stools showed less chunky pieces when I did this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • carolinepowell885
    carolinepowell885 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use toddler cutlery and plates. You can't get a lot of food on the fork or spoon so you eat slower and since the plate/bowl is smaller there's less to eat
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    I use to be a slow/thoughtful eater. Then I became a teacher and quickly turned into a 'stuff-it-in-as-fast-as-you-can' eater. I was lucky to have a minute some days to even go to the bathroom...let alone eat something lol!
    Perhaps you could use chop sticks? However, if you are proficient in using them, it might not help you out lol!
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    All I can add in is chew lots - cut smaller bites and chew each bite thoroughly. Don’t eat distracted , like on a phone or watching tv.
  • SherlockWWilson13
    SherlockWWilson13 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You can also try to eat for the length of a specific podcast or something where the episodes are a consistent length to try to extend how long you eat or a TV show if you aren't eating with another person.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,623 Member
    Options
    I remember reading that feelings of satiation are generated 10 minutes after you have actually had enough, so slowing down should cause you to eat less. Serve dinner in two portions with salad or soup as a starter. Chew every bite 32 times. Eat with company and have a conversation over dinner.