Help

Options
stephnrh1
stephnrh1 Posts: 11 Member
Hello, I'm new to fitness pal, older and not very tech savvy so I'm not sure how to post where I want to post. Anyway, I have questions for ninerbuff. I'm 43, almost 44, overweight and have lupus, fibromyalgia and arthritis, yeah I'm so lucky, everything I enjoyed taken away from me, anyway I'm trying to lose weight. I've been using this app for a week and have lost a pound so far, guess better than gaining. I need more exercise,. I'm very limited on my range of motion due to the above listed and in a lot of pain daily but I'm highly motivated and willing to try anything. I work in my yard alot, mowing, edging, pulling weeds after the sun goes down since I'm photosensitive. Any suggestions on some exercises that will help me lose but not physically impair me for 3 days after!? Lol. Ive tried walking but my legs swell so badly and i start hurting so bad i can barely make it back home! Thanks.

Replies

• hoarc1987
    hoarc1987 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Measure yourself for knee length compression stockings and wear them before walking maybe. You want the knee length ones: https://youtu.be/-FoD5zhqShA
    And this thing helps you put them on: https://www.brightlifedirect.com/products/arion-magnide?variant=39617722581105?wi=off&gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw67ajBhAVEiwA2g_jEECUeusJFEJzWcYJ4CALM7bnQvpxAo_WBh_WFRff16jO276DeP-wgxoCxesQAvD_BwE

You need to be able to walk like it or not and moving in pain preserves mobility. My grandmother has been bone on bone in her knees due to arthritis and she walked anyway with rest breaks. Still kicking just with a walker now.
    As far as lupus and fibromyalgia - you probably have mold in the basement of your house. Mold avoidance and heavy hepa vacuuming may in your cards.
  • Jenni4w
    Jenni4w Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    hoarc1987 wrote: »
    Measure yourself for knee length compression stockings and wear them before walking maybe. You want the knee length ones: https://youtu.be/-FoD5zhqShA
    And this thing helps you put them on: https://www.brightlifedirect.com/products/arion-magnide?variant=39617722581105?wi=off&gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw67ajBhAVEiwA2g_jEECUeusJFEJzWcYJ4CALM7bnQvpxAo_WBh_WFRff16jO276DeP-wgxoCxesQAvD_BwE

You need to be able to walk like it or not and moving in pain preserves mobility. My grandmother has been bone on bone in her knees due to arthritis and she walked anyway with rest breaks. Still kicking just with a walker now.
    As far as lupus and fibromyalgia - you probably have mold in the basement of your house. Mold avoidance and heavy hepa vacuuming may in your cards.

I agree with this. I have Autoimmune disease and I had 100% success with AIP Paleo diet. I was in remission for over three years and no meds! The inflammatory foods wreck havoc on our bodies. I’m back on meds now after a “bagel flare up” kicked my butt. But now I’m rolling like thunder in the gym and going the best I can. I need to walk more. Right now I’m working on gaining strength.
  • Lisa2321
    Lisa2321 Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I am not a doctor, but from what I’ve researched online from nutritionist is that you can lose weight simply with your diet and no exercise.
    You can find out what the appropriate calorie window you should eat to be in a slight calorie deficit and lose weight that way. As the weight comes off, it may make it easier to go for walks without hurting so much.
    Be consistent, go slow but steady, and don’t injure yourself.
    You can also do chair (sit down) exercises. Search on YouTube for those.
  • stephnrh1
    stephnrh1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice and comments. I've been counting calories and pretty much just doing a lot of walking and after 3 weeks I was down around 10 lb then I went on vacation to Florida for a week although I for the most part watched what I ate I still managed to gain 3 lb back although we did not take a car and walked everywhere! But I am back home and back on track!